New championship system introduced for 2019

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
UncreativeUsername37

New championship system introduced for 2019

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

A new championship system has been introduced for 2019, referred to for now as "the playoffs", as it takes inspiration from the NASCAR playoffs.

Playoffs will consist of the races before the last three of the season serving as a qualifying stage. After this, the top eight drivers are put into a seeded bracket, so the first race is the quarterfinals wherein the "championship leader" as they normally would be goes up against 8th place, with the better finisher/later retirement advancing, and so on. The drivers' championship positions 9th and below, as well as the teams' championship, will still be like a normal series.

Really, I don't need to tell you what a dumb idea this is. F1's transformation from sport to entertainment is finally complete. Of course I could rant about it, but the reality really is that simple, so I'd quickly repeat myself.

I just hope the driver who would've been champion anyway happens to win and they ditch it for 2020, like what happened with double points.

Liberty have really outdone themselves this time, and yes, it was their idea. You wanted Bernie gone? You got it.

Fools might enjoy the new system just like they enjoy any other league that tacks on needless playoffs after league formats for cheap drama—cricket and rugby come to mind—but I for one will be joining those who've finally had enough of F1's self-parody.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Re: New championship system introduced for 2019

Post by dr-baker »

Didn't they also announce that from 2021, the new engine regulations demand hydrogen as the fuel source? With the ban on petrol and diesel engines in Britain and France coming up, the British teams are concerned how this would affect them, so they wanted this change to happen as soon as possible to future-proof their businesses. It is also an attempt to bring Toyota back into the sport to promote their Mirai model.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

UgncreativeUsergname, not a bad effort for an April Fool's joke, I must say.

The sad thing is, I expect Liberty Media will try to apply some sort of pressure in the future to introduce new regulations to "spice things up" in the shorter term and, given that they seem to have exhibited a mentality that is much more focussed on the US than the rest of the world, wouldn't be surprised if they did try and introduce features from series such as NASCAR into F1.

After all, on a serious note I believe that they have actually talked about wanting to introduce something similar to the "team franchise" model that is used in NASCAR, and other US racing series.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And in further news. Jacques Villeneuve thinks Robert Kubica is sabotaging the Williams team so that they give him the drive instead of one of their rich kids. Kek and kek again. Excellent joke, Jacques! Hilarious!

...wait...

...the date on the article...

...March 31st?

You mean it's true?

What are you on this time, JV? Super-strength crack? Black Mamba? Krokodil? Turps? Whatever it is, there's no way it's legal.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:And in further news. Jacques Villeneuve thinks Robert Kubica is sabotaging the Williams team so that they give him the drive instead of one of their rich kids. Kek and kek again. Excellent joke, Jacques! Hilarious!

...wait...

...the date on the article...

...March 31st?

You mean it's true?

What are you on this time, JV? Super-strength crack? Black Mamba? Krokodil? Turps? Whatever it is, there's no way it's legal.

It's not the first time that Jacques has lashed out at Kubica either - he attacked him in late 2017, saying that he was completely undeserving of a race seat (stating that he felt that Kubica wasn't as good as people claimed he was and that Williams were simply cashing in on the publicity surrounding Kubica), as well as accusing him of being "unbearable" behind the scenes. Perhaps Jacques is still bitter about the fact he was sacked in favour of Kubica all those years ago?

Either way, given how rather fiercely protective some of Kubica's fans are of him, I'm surprised we haven't seen torrents of abuse being poured in Jacques's direction yet.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Yeah, JV has a recurring reputation of being extremely vitriolic towards Kubica. I believe an F1i article about one instance of it had the quote "Villeneuve stated that Kubica could barely match Heidfeld, and couldn't even beat Petrov in 2010 [editor's note: Kubica actually comprehensively beat Petrov in 2010]".

I think that the "sabotaging the team's development for personal gain" narrative is one he constructed for himself to comfort himself about losing his drive in 2006, and he's convinced that Kubica's 'doing it again'.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Waris

Post by Waris »

You have two worry about JV's mental health sometimes. He's starting to sound increasingly paranoid.

Edit: LOL, never mind, this quote here is telling: "I would do the same in his place". Talk about projection, Jacques!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
mario

Post by mario »

And to show that sometimes it can be rather difficult to tell what is meant to be a parody and what is serious, it is now being reported that Liberty Media have floated the idea of ditching qualifying and replacing it with a "qualifying race" as part of the 2021 regulation package. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/braw ... g-1022960/
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

If you want to shake things up a bit, the only solution is single lap qualifying with a drawn running order. Is it really so hard to think of?
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
The Mobile Chicane

Post by The Mobile Chicane »

If the weekend structure really needs to be changed then why not make everyday count for something. As a suggestion:

FP1 remains as is, 1.5 hour practice session with unlimited lapping

FP2 reduced to one hour. 10 full laps per car (not counting in or out laps), final classification sets up grid Saturday F2 style sprint race

FP3 becomes a sprint race. 20 laps or so. Ultra soft and Hyper soft tyres only, one pit stop between laps 7 and 15. Top 6 get championship points by the old 10,6,4,3,2,1 system. Last 5 finishers ( not retirees) get a free set of the softest compound for Q1

Qualifying on Saturday afternoon runs as currently- with the exception of the extra set of tyres for the last 5 from the sprint race in Q1. Everyone in Q3 gets a free set of Hypersofts.

Race runs as normal.

Might be a lot to take in and the purists will absolutely hate it, but it gives each day an increasing sense of importance and excitement.
The Mobile Chicane: Proudly blocking the leaders since 1989
Waris

Post by Waris »

I never got the idea of qualifying races, because the qualifying race itself still needs to have a starting grid, and how are you going to get THAT set then? It's moving the problem.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:I never got the idea of qualifying races, because the qualifying race itself still needs to have a starting grid, and how are you going to get THAT set then? It's moving the problem.

I have wondered this before in the past.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Waris wrote:I never got the idea of qualifying races, because the qualifying race itself still needs to have a starting grid, and how are you going to get THAT set then? It's moving the problem.

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Reverse championship order, perhaps?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.