2018 Chinese Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

2018 Chinese Grand Prix thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135370/hamilton-0007s-faster-than-raikkonen-in-fp2

Certainly looking like this year is going to be a two-horse race between Mercedes and Ferrari again. More problems for Ricciardo in practice, whilst the top two teams are still way ahead.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
ibsey

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix thread

Post by ibsey »

Want Kimi to win this weekend, because he deserves a bit of luck.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Ferrari half a second up on Mercedes in Q3. That was unexpected.

McLaren pulling a Shake and Bake with Alonso and still not making Q3. Top 4 chassis, apparently.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ferrari and Mercedes continuing to hold a monopoly out front is not ideal, but as a consolation, at least the midfield battle is rather unpredictable. Gasly going from 4th at Bahrain to elimination in Q1, the Force Indias suddenly finding some form, Magnussen failing to make it out of Q2, and Sirotkin actually looking rather punchy despite his Q1 elimination, are all good signs of a potential mega battle for the final points positions.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

On behalf of the whole of New Zealand since I'm here, go and **** yourself Gasly!

Even more so if it means that Red Bull get a fluky win out of it.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Oh and now Verstappen is in maximum bathplug mode. Wish I hadn't bothered now. Especially as NZ take the UK feed so there'll be 2 hours of pant wetting after this now inevitable Team Corporate win.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Don't bother creating an IIDOTR topic this time, not needed with THAT performance from Ricciardo.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Good race! You could make an argument for saying an unusual example of the three number two drivers making up the podium even when their number ones were all still running... (Debatable in the case of Ricciardo, I know!)
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I believe that's the first race since 2015 where we've had 3 different leaders, on merit that is! That's something which has been a regularity at times in the past! It wasn't that fun to watch at first, but I think I might end up savouring this one more than last week's Bahrain GP.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I really think a rule should be added where the race director randomly deploys the safety car. It brought the race to life
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

Paul Hayes wrote:Good race! You could make an argument for saying an unusual example of the three number two drivers making up the podium even when their number ones were all still running... (Debatable in the case of Ricciardo, I know!)

With Ricciardo's contract ending at the end of this season, I think that there will be a fair amount of interest from other teams looking to sign him.

I have to wonder whether Verstappen was getting a bit too frustrated after his earlier move on Hamilton failed and lead to him just getting far too aggressive with Vettel - yes, Vettel was vulnerable given his older tyres and was wide of the apex, but not by enough to slot a car down the inside. Ricciardo judged his moves better than Verstappen did: Verstappen might be quick, but he's just being that bit too aggressive at the moment and just not quite judging things right.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
IceG

Post by IceG »

Compare Ricciardo's move on Bottas with Verstappen's on Vettel.

Coming in hard, late on the brakes into a tightening R/H corner.

Bottas, a relatively cautious driver, sees what is going to happen, can let him through and then pursue him or risk contact and maybe terminal damage.

Vettel, who still acts rather than thinks, on worn tyres turns in and loses the place and several more with Verstappen still finishing ahead of him.

Would Ricciardo have got a penalty had Bottas done a Vettel? Should Vettel have done a Bottas?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

sswishbone wrote:I really think a rule should be added where the race director randomly deploys the safety car. It brought the race to life

It's a better idea than Bernie's sprinkler idea - easier to implement. But very NASCAR/American, so Liberty might be receptive to it?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

dr-baker wrote:
sswishbone wrote:I really think a rule should be added where the race director randomly deploys the safety car. It brought the race to life

It's a better idea than Bernie's sprinkler idea - easier to implement. But very NASCAR/American, so Liberty might be receptive to it?

That's kind of what worries me :D

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Great win by Riccardo and especially well timed after the disappointment of Bahrain
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:Compare Ricciardo's move on Bottas with Verstappen's on Vettel.

Bottas, a relatively cautious driver, sees what is going to happen, can let him through and then pursue him or risk contact and maybe terminal damage.

Vettel, who still acts rather than thinks, on worn tyres turns in and loses the place and several more with Verstappen still finishing ahead of him.

Would Ricciardo have got a penalty had Bottas done a Vettel? Should Vettel have done a Bottas?

I would say that one difference is the fact that Bottas would have been able to see where Ricciardo was positioning his car throughout that overtaking move, and Ricciardo committed to his move early enough that Bottas could respond to what he was doing given Ricciardo was able to get his car alongside Bottas's car in the braking zone.

Verstappen, by contrast, came in at a more acute angle and at a point where Vettel was already turning into the corner, making it difficult for Vettel to see what Verstappen was doing and not really giving him an opportunity to react. It feels more like Verstappen made a late decision to try to stick his nose in there in what looked more like a speculative move at a point where Vettel had already committed to his line and was turning in to the corner, not really giving Vettel an opportunity to react to his move.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Spectoremg on the Bahrain race thread wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:(me talking about the Toro Rosso performance at Bahrain being a fluke after qualy)

It's eat your words time!

Did someone say eat your words?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

IceG wrote:Compare Ricciardo's move on Bottas with Verstappen's on Vettel.

On these two specifically, I'd agree with Mario's assessment that they're different because Ricciardo is clearly attempting the move from an early point so Bottas can see and react to it. As a matter of fact, the only reason Ricciardo is even able to press the move home down the inside is because Bottas left a car width. You could argue that Ricciardo pressed it beyond the point that most drivers would and if had been Vettel instead of Bottas, he'd have had turned in on him and it may been deemed Ricciardo's fault. Although I'd expect it to be deemed a racing incident.

Verstappen on the other hand is directly behind Vettel in the braking zone and then suddenly lunges when he sees Vettel struggling to get into the corner. It would have been the same if it had been any other driver instead of Vettel because he was already committed to the corner and can't get out of it by the time Verstappen makes the move.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

mario wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:Good race! You could make an argument for saying an unusual example of the three number two drivers making up the podium even when their number ones were all still running... (Debatable in the case of Ricciardo, I know!)

With Ricciardo's contract ending at the end of this season, I think that there will be a fair amount of interest from other teams looking to sign him.

Which could only be either Ferrari or Mercedes, presumably, otherwise there's little point in moving.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I see the IIDORT and reject threads haven't appeared yet - the new format's clearly very popular :(
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Best race in ages that one! Though ones Danny Ric seems to win usually are (i.e. not a Merc or Ferrari cakewalk)!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And here I was thinking 2018 was going to be dull as dishwater and twice as depressing! I thoroughly enjoyed that race, even more so than Bahrain. Paint me an optimist, all we need is a Verstappen win in Azerbaijan to really make this season mad from the get-go!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!