Debris on the track
5%
Anyone not Charles Leclerc or Carlos Sainz
10%

Total votes: 20

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Baku

Post by Londoner »

Well, this is going to be fun, there's so many possible choices. Post your choices for Reject of the Race. :deletraz:

EDIT: Poll!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
IceG

Re: Reject of the Race - Baku

Post by IceG »

(1) Christian Horner for not imposing his will and preventing the inevitable

(2) Grosjean for driving like a Parisian limo chauffeur
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

As much as Ro Gro is calling out to me, it just has to be the Red Bull Drivers here. There's no excuse as a team, when you're in the high points-scoring positions, to just throw all sorts of moves here and there like madmen. That final move was the cherry on top of the cake of chaos. Max probably double-moved. Ricciardo probably braked way too late and locked up massively. Both drivers seemed to be at fault, especially for battling unnecessarily hard in such good positions.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'm going to make this easy for myself and say... everyone.

Hamilton made loads of mistakes and got lucky
Raikkonen messed up in qualifying, is somewhat to blame for colliding with Ocon and got lucky.
Pérez had that time penalty.
Vettel threw it all away towards the end.
Sainz probably did something wrong, I just don't know what.
Ditto Leclerc.
Alonso had that double puncture. I don't care if it wasn't his fault, I just want to get this out of the way.
Stroll... can't remember. I had something for this.
Vandoorne was just kind of nowhere all day.
Hartley... I'll just use his qualifying incident here.
Ericsson totally ran into the back of Grosjean. Haas are never wrong.
Gasly was just nowhere after the opening laps.
Same for Magnussen.
Bottas for the puncture.
Grosjean needs no explanation.
Verstappen for his part in the collision.
Ricciardo for his even bigger part in the same collision.
Huelkenberg... see Grosjean.
Ocon turned in on Raikkonen.
Sirotkin started all of this.

EDIT: I've decided to be generous and nominate anyone whose name isn't a derivation of Charles.
#FreeGonzo
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

The shortlist is a biggy, but here are my main 3:

RB drivers - It's taken just 4 races for them to fall out of championship contention :facepalm:
Debris - COME ON, Valtteri didn't deserve that one bit
Romain Grosjean - This isn't even the first time he's done this - RG's still yet to score a point this season

And also Vettel, just a little bit for that SC restart, then again if he hadn't attacked at the restart, and Bottas' tyre hadn't gone down... you just can't tell with these things.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

You know, a lot of drivers made quite a few mistakes that race - for a start the clash between the Red Bull duo felt like it was a matter of when, not if, it was going to come, as they were both going at it so hard under braking that you just felt that somebody would push it too far. Even before that, they had been a bit scrappy on track - Verstappen especially, as we saw him running wide quite a few times - so they were already having a bit of an off race before that.

Grosjean's accident under the safety car has the misfortune of making you look like a fool, and he threw away a golden opportunity to score a decent haul of points - maybe even a chance to challenge for that final podium slot given what happened to Vettel. The way that he also bizarrely tried to blame Ericsson for that was just even more embarassing - no Romain, you cocked up on your own there.

As an aside, does anybody know what happened to Magnussen? He'd been up in the points, but dropped back - did he make an extra pit stop? Mind you, he was already getting fairly thoroughly trounced by Grosjean before that.

Talking of hitting the barriers, for the second year in a row we saw Hulkenberg given a great chance to score and blowing it by throwing it into the barriers - I think that he might even have been in the same position as he was in 2017 when he hit the wall then.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Chaotic race....
Baku is clearly not suitable for Formula 1 :facepalm:

More please!

1. Grosjean for binning it during the safety car
2. Hulkenberg

HM to Red Bull
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Red Bull came into this race looking very competitive, and were tipped to be a threat for victory. Instead, they were off the pace in qualifying and were (relatively) trundling around 30-odd seconds behind the lead when Ricciardo took it too far - this after Verstappen himself was overzealous in defending earlier attempts. Objectively, they were the worst entity out there today - underperforming as a team, and due to driving efforts.

Grosjean is a classic choice for ROTR: a silly, bizarre error which cost himself and his team dearly.

There's a lot of other potential choices, sure, but those two are the clear standouts.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I would award it jointly to Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen.

Verstappen made "one and a half" defensive moves, which was naughty and just barely legal, but it would've amounted to nothing, except that Ricciardo's fetish for late lunges under braking meant he'd left his braking too late to avoid a collision. Some people will see it as 50/50, others as 60/40 or 70/30 in favour of one or the other. But the point is they both push the boundaries, and when they push the boundaries in the same braking zone, that's the result.

(Tempted to refer to them as Divebomb Ricciardo and Max Verblocken, but that would be infantile)
RAK

Post by RAK »

I'm hard-pressed to decide between the Red Bull drivers and Romain Grosjean. Ricciardo and Verstappen lost a big chunk of potential points for the team, while Grosjean's error also lost him points, was totally unforced and really rather ridiculous.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

As bad as the Red Bull collision was, it's gotta be Grosjean for me - that was reject comedy gold (including his reaction afterwards). :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Just to put forward a different option (otherwise it would have to be Red Bull), I will nominate both Sergey Sirotkin and Romain Grosjean for having no points after all the chaos of four 2018 rounds. There are so many options to choose from (amazing, I know!) so I'll go for that.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

For me it's either Romain Grosjean, for a fine example of brain-fade under the SC (and intially attempting to shift the blame for him crashing to Ericsson over team radio), or (just to avoid going for the obvious options) Nico Hulkenberg for doing the same thing only under green flag (and with a very decent chance at scoring the podium that has eluded him) in almost an exact repeat of 2017.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

1. Grosjean, no ifs and buts about it. Completely idiotic move.
2. Baku stewards, not very good at handling out penalties or punishments.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Hülkenberg and the Red Bull drivers and Grosjean all looked like they had choreographed plans for winning ROTR. That's Baku.™ And the winner completely threw away the win mid-race. So what does that say about everyone behind him?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'm honestly surprised there was no action (that I'm aware of) against Raikkonen for, in my opinion, driving straight into Ocon and knocking the latter out of the race. I'd therefore support the nomination of the stewards that some others are talking about.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

What can I say other than either Grosjean blowing a great result after that silly error or Red Bull colliding together? Well I also say the badly timed debris that cost Bottas the win and also debris of the tree branch. When does a tree branch ever have a chance for ROTR?
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I think the only correct answer is Romain Grosjean, but I would also like to nominate the tree branch
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Grosjean was last in qualifying and then crashed under safety car. That should do it.
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Gotta give it to Red Bull. Verstappen with that stupid defending, Ricciardo with the divebomb moves, the crash and the team failing to do anything about it, despite the warning signs of a clash with their antics proceeding for a number of laps beforehand.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Normal32 wrote:1. Grosjean, no ifs and buts about it. Completely idiotic move.
2. Baku stewards, not very good at handling out penalties or punishments.

Overall , I'd go with that.
I feel sorry for Romain- easy enough mistake to make, but at the end of the day , crashing under safety car when in a good position..
And the stewards- really there was some very poor driving at times , but they seem to have been a bit hesitant to do what was needed.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:I'm honestly surprised there was no action (that I'm aware of) against Raikkonen for, in my opinion, driving straight into Ocon and knocking the latter out of the race. I'd therefore support the nomination of the stewards that some others are talking about.

They investigated it, but declared it to be a racing incident and there would be no further action against either driver.

To be honest, when looking at what Magnussen did to Gasly, I'm tempted to nominate both Magnussen - for what was an extremely reckless move that seemed to have the sole intention of ramming Gasly into a wall - and a decision by the stewards that was arguably rather tame when you look at how he was behaving. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... aijan.html
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

The Red Bull drivers, especially Max Verstappen.

Dishonourable mentions for the two insecure turds: Alonso (nobody else could drive on 2 wheels) and Hamilton (nobody else would celebrate as less as I did for such a fortunate victory).

#blessed #SamuraiIchiban
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

wsrgo wrote:The Red Bull drivers, especially Max Verstappen.

Dishonourable mentions for the two insecure turds: Alonso (nobody else could drive on 2 wheels) and Hamilton (nobody else would celebrate as less as I did for such a fortunate victory).

#blessed #SamuraiIchiban

Did our cereal taste suspiciously like urine this morning?
#FreeGonzo
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Simtek wrote:
wsrgo wrote:The Red Bull drivers, especially Max Verstappen.

#blessed #SamuraiIchiban

Did our cereal taste suspiciously like urine this morning?

I sure hope not, given that I posted this yesterday night (my local time).

I'm just upset with Alonso and Hamilton's constant self-posturing. Alonso did a great job on Sunday, but on saying that he alone is capable of such feats, he simply reduces himself to a petty man.

Hamilton's poise and tact post-race was nice, as was the Bottas gesture, but saying that others celebrate fortunate wins more than him makes me think he's more worried about his image than actually being a good person.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

David Coulthard doing the interviews down in the pit lane rather than up on the podium felt a lot more like ITV4's coverage of the BTCC than an international FIA event.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Changing my vote from debris to Magnussen, for that ugly bit of driving, as well as effectively causing Bottas' puncture. The FIA/stewards ought to have thrown the book at him, I'd give him a 10-place grid drop for Spain at least, never mind a time penalty.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:I'm just upset with Alonso and Hamilton's constant self-posturing. Alonso did a great job on Sunday, but on saying that he alone is capable of such feats, he simply reduces himself to a petty man.

Hamilton's poise and tact post-race was nice, as was the Bottas gesture, but saying that others celebrate fortunate wins more than him makes me think he's more worried about his image than actually being a good person.

You may have a point there... but, the way I see it, is that's just how those guys are. I'd prefer that they express themselves in that way, even if they are just being douchebags in various ways, than just be boring corporate cutouts.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:David Coulthard doing the interviews down in the pit lane rather than up on the podium felt a lot more like ITV4's coverage of the BTCC than an international FIA event.

That's happening for everything now. We scrapped podium interviews for F2 at the start of the year, instead we have Rosanna Tennant down there with questions when the drivers pull into parc ferme. It's basically what MotoGP does...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

My nomination goes to the Soviet era truck sent to recover Grosjean's car. I've feared for the worst :facepalm:
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
dr-baker wrote:David Coulthard doing the interviews down in the pit lane rather than up on the podium felt a lot more like ITV4's coverage of the BTCC than an international FIA event.

That's happening for everything now. We scrapped podium interviews for F2 at the start of the year, instead we have Rosanna Tennant down there with questions when the drivers pull into parc ferme. It's basically what MotoGP does...

What's the rationale for it? It makes it look cheap, like there's nowhere else for them to go. I know FE has done it for a while too, I just don't get it.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

What's the rationale for it? It makes it look cheap, like there's nowhere else for them to go. I know FE has done it for a while too, I just don't get it.

I guess they want the drivers' comments to be even more immediate and "natural". Giving them less time to think about their responses allows for a greater chance of more "heat of the moment" comments which create headlines, thus bringing more publicity to the sport.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
IceG

Post by IceG »

novitopoli wrote:My nomination goes to the Soviet era truck sent to recover Grosjean's car. I've feared for the worst :facepalm:

Alonso was pretty vocal about it over the radio
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:I guess they want the drivers' comments to be even more immediate and "natural". Giving them less time to think about their responses allows for a greater chance of more "heat of the moment" comments which create headlines, thus bringing more publicity to the sport.

In which case, why not go even further down the BTCC route, and have interviews over the pits-to-car radio on the return lap back to the pits?!?!?
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:
novitopoli wrote:My nomination goes to the Soviet era truck sent to recover Grosjean's car. I've feared for the worst :facepalm:

Alonso was pretty vocal about it over the radio

He wasn't the only one either, as Hamilton was also asking Whiting over the radio whether it was unsafe for the truck to be parked there too.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The poll is up! Sorry for the slight delay---now that I know how to do this, the new system should be up and running for good by Spain!

I took the three most popular choices for the poll, plus my favourite left-field choice. Sorry to those of you who picked Vettel, Hulkenberg, the stewards or Magnussen, but the picks for this weekend were many!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

The Red Bull drivers were battling hard and crashed. They were teammates, but it happens. Hülkenberg crashed at a street circuit. It happens, and he didn't even make the poll. The debris shouldn't have been there, but I only disliked it because of who it affected. Grosjean crashed under the safety car. That's ROTR.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The results are in!

After our poll, trying to single out just one of the candidates who deserved the Reject of the Race award more than any other, you picked Romain Grosjean. Crashing behind the safety car, nearly blaming Ericsson for it, and this not being the first time that he has crashed behind the safety car, makes him a prime candidate for the award!

The Red Bull drivers were a close second, with a topsy-turvy season for the team and its drivers culminating in a smash-up between Verstappen and Ricciardo. Many saw it coming, but that does not diminish the rejectfulness of it all.