Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Baku

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 05 May 2018, 22:22

Charles Leclerc
87%
Sergio Pérez
13%
Carlos Sainz Jr.
No votes
Fernando Alonso
No votes

Total votes: 15

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Baku

Post by Londoner »

Post your choices for IIDOTR here. As with ROTR I'm gonna hold off posting while I consider my choices, although I have a good feeling who my IIDOTR will be. :deletraz:

EDIT: Poll!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Baku

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Charles Leclerc

What can i say that isn't already said...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

It is I... Leclerc! Was wondering where the real one had gone to... :D
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

good_Ralf wrote:Image

It is I... Leclerc! Was wondering where the real one had gone to... :D

Dammit, that's the perfect joke. We're gonna need to use that more.

Anyway, I'll actually say Sainz. Good is one thing, we all knew Sainz was good. Completely beating the Red Bulls on pace alone before the ultrasofts fell off the cliff is another. Fair play to ya,
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Charles Leclerc.

Right, I'm done for the weekend. See you in Spain!
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Charles Leclerc is the only choice.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Since Leclerc is deservingly already mentioned, I'm going to make the case for Sergio Perez, so there's some sort of decision to be made.

Force India have been nowhere all season, so a podium, ahead of Alonso, Sainz and Vettel is a very good result that would be a slam-dunk IIDOTR had Leclerc not pulled of his own heroics.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Charles Leclerc is the obvious choice, but I was also impressed by Sergio Pérez in his podium-scoring drive. Carlos Sainz Jr. also managed a solid result for Renault.
Last edited by RAK on 29 Apr 2018, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Waris

Post by Waris »

I thought we could nominate two drivers for IIDOTR, or has that rule changed?
Because this race was full of many improbable drives.
Anyway, my choices would be
1. Leclerc - Awesome performance!
2. Alonso - What a king this guy is, too.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I think all the points-scorers bar Hamilton and the Ferrari drivers have cases to make for themselves TBH.....(you could even make a case for Bottas as that would have been a great unexpected win without that puncture).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Bottas, because although I'm something of a fanboy (on the basis I'm a fan of neither Vettel nor Hamilton :lol: ), he was really good this week and in China. Almost won if not for that tragic Massa-2008-esque retirement.

Also Renault for what I think is a heartening return to competitive form. It's good to see Enstone do so well, and for a team to break into the top three on merit. Good job guys!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Well this has to go to Charles Leclerc, for achieving his first points (pre-2003 points, even!), Sauber's best finish since 2015 and mostly doing so on merit alone (he would have scored at least a couple of points even with attrition). Honourable mentions to both Sergio Perez, for managing a podium in a mediocre at best Force India and Brendan Hartley for somehow scoring his first points (and the first for a driver from New Zealand since 1973) despite nearly murdering his teammate in qualifying.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

There is no other who deserves it more than Leclerc. Note: he is the first driver from Monaco to score in F1 since Louis Chiron, who scored a podium at home, in 1950!

Hats off to Sainz & Hartley for getting the job done and scoring their first points respectively and to Perez for that unexpected podium. Bravo gentlemen.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

There is only one correct answer and that is Fernando Alonso. Yeah, yeah Pérez, Leclerc & co. had good races but it was again due to the top boys having bad days.

Alonso meanwhile deserves the IIDOTR just for bringing that two-wheeled McLaren to the pits and being able to continue the race after crawling around half a lap. But wait, that's not all! The Spaniard actually finishes seventh after all that trouble. Drive of the day by far for me.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

None other than Leclerc.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Leclerc - quallie and the race - had speed and didnt endanger anyone

And Alonso as runner up - not sure the McLaren was all that good , even with all the bits on it, but he knew he had to just keep going on a day like Sunday
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
mario

Post by mario »

CarloSpace wrote:There is only one correct answer and that is Fernando Alonso. Yeah, yeah Pérez, Leclerc & co. had good races but it was again due to the top boys having bad days.

Alonso meanwhile deserves the IIDOTR just for bringing that two-wheeled McLaren to the pits and being able to continue the race after crawling around half a lap. But wait, that's not all! The Spaniard actually finishes seventh after all that trouble. Drive of the day by far for me.

Benson did state that he was allowed to see Alonso's car when the team brought it back to the factory after the race, and when you read about how heavily damaged it was - there was a 20cm by 30cm hole in the front splitter, for example - the fact that Alonso not only got the car back to the pits, but then managed to drag the car into the points is a quite impressive achievement.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Like the Reject of the Race post, the poll is up, so decide which driver you thought deserved this award the most!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

In dominating fashion, Charles Leclerc gets the site's prestigious Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race award! 6th? In a Sauber? In 2018? An impressive drive without mistakes, in a race where just about everybody made mistakes. He even scored a point in the pre-2003 system, which of course puts him on a path to being unrejectified! Good job, Charles.

With 87% of the vote, he is far ahead of Sergio Pérez, this week's honourable mention, who brought a troubled Force India chassis onto the rostrum! On any other weekend, that would be a slam-dunk win. Bad luck for Sergio there.