2018 SPANISH Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2018 SPANISH Grand Prix Thread

Post by Ataxia »

As is apparently the new tradition, this GP thread does come from SPAIN. Not Catalonia, Sr. Puigdemont, Spain...

...I'm expecting a knock at the door as I write this.

So yes, we're at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, which isn't really all that close to Barcelona and so any real hopes of pairing the Spanish GP with a trip to museums galore can be promptly dashed. Sorry, folks. You'll just have to peruse the gardening store in Granollers instead...

I digress. Of course, we've hit the first official leg of the Euro tour, which means that it's the real litmus test of where everyone stacks up. To put it more graphically, Barcelona's often the venue where all of the teams unzip and see what they've got. In 2014, this was a lot more easy to determine.

Because F1 usually spends a couple of weeks here in the winter, the drivers have spend hours pounding around the circuit and, for that reason, they'll be absolutely sick to the back teeth of Barcelona by the time they come back. Sometimes, barring freak team-mate-based collisions or tyre lotteries, the races can be quite processional. Luckily for you, it's AN F2 WEEKEND, which means that Roberto Merhi's going to enjoy his annual surge of popularity - looking at the media timetable for this weekend, it's a real Merhi-go-round.

There's also GP3, also known as "which ART is going to win this year", and Porsche Supercup which has a far nicer hospitality area than us. Boo.

I don't really know what else I can add, I've paid such little attention to F1 this year that I genuinely don't know who's going to win.

Over to someone better acquainted with F1 2018, I guess...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2018 SPANISH Grand Prix Thread

Post by FullMetalJack »

Ataxia wrote:As is apparently the new tradition, this GP thread does come from SPAIN. Not Catalonia

Catalonia? There's a pigeon from there in control of my legs
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: 2018 SPAINISH Grand Prix Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Don't want to be "that guy", but there's a typo in the thread title:

#FreeGonzo
mario

Re: 2018 SPAINISH Grand Prix Thread

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:Don't want to be "that guy", but there's a typo in the thread title:

To enjoy it in its full glory:
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:
Simtek wrote:Don't want to be "that guy", but there's a typo in the thread title:

To enjoy it in its full glory:

Looks better than the new Mclaren nose.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Maybe it's a new trend, what's next? Englandish gp, Italyan gp,..
I'm not a serious person
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

While finding I can set up my TV to decode the Astra 1 satellite without needing the external box, I've been watching FREIES TRAINING on RTL and seen Brendon Hartley's car have a rejectful moment after he crashed it. The car's being craned away with its rear end missing, then the floor snaps clean in half and the engine falls out...

A lot of overnight work for your mechanics there, me old Kiwi mucker.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aguvazk wrote:Maybe it's a new trend, what's next? Englandish gp, Italyan gp,..

But Canadan GP?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I hadn't appreciated they'd put the European races back 70 minutes this year. That means I can now comfortably watch live rather than on delay when I get home from work. Hurrah!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

What in the unholy name of ass was that from Grosjean?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Is it time to start countdown for Giovinazzi to replace Grosjean? Romain's been all out of sorts this season, maybe a bit of a break would do him good.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'm surprised Grosjean hasn't tried to find a way to blame Ericsson yet.

It's a shame about his current travails, as I do like him. But he is having, as they say, "a mare".
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

What a pass from Alonso!

And Williams must be reject of the race with Stroll's needless lift that cost Verstappen and Sirotkin's lazy drifting
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Who had "crashing into a Williams" in the game of Max Verstappen sweepstakes? :pantano:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

sswishbone wrote:What a pass from Alonso!

And Williams must be reject of the race with Stroll's needless lift that cost Verstappen and Sirotkin's lazy drifting

I don't think that Stroll necessarily lifted - it looked more like Verstappen reacted to the end of the virtual safety car more quickly than Stroll did and he started accelerating whilst Stroll was still driving along at a constant speed.

As for Sirotkin, well, he wasn't the only one to make that mistake - Ricciardo might be thankful that the track side cameras missed it, but the onboard footage shows that he spun his car at Turn 10 under the virtual safety car (that's why he suddenly dropped so far back from the Verstappen-Vettel duel).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

That's Haas unrejectified now isn't it?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Not exactly the best race of the season, but then again that has often been the case in Barcelona down the years. Onwards!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Hats off to Leclerc
Max still managed to have contact on his way to 3rd, but at least he didnt spin
...unlike lots of others . What was it - they were out there destroying track records with all their extra downforce and wide cars, but still found it hard not to rotate unexpectedly? Nice to see them being tested ( at times) , but at other times they were just flat through Campsa and turn 3 etc and Max was saying he was losing out in quallie because it was all just engine power differential seeing as he was flat out through nearly all the first half of the lap and there werent any real corners ...
Lewis looked on it again in the race ...ominous if we want a close championship
Gasly has no luck
Romain's penalty seems a bit harsh - seems like the penalty was for the consequences, not the 'infringement'
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
mario

Post by mario »

yannicksamlad wrote:Hats off to Leclerc
Max still managed to have contact on his way to 3rd, but at least he didnt spin
...unlike lots of others . What was it - they were out there destroying track records with all their extra downforce and wide cars, but still found it hard not to rotate unexpectedly? Nice to see them being tested ( at times) , but at other times they were just flat through Campsa and turn 3 etc and Max was saying he was losing out in quallie because it was all just engine power differential seeing as he was flat out through nearly all the first half of the lap and there werent any real corners ...
Lewis looked on it again in the race ...ominous if we want a close championship
Gasly has no luck
Romain's penalty seems a bit harsh - seems like the penalty was for the consequences, not the 'infringement'

At least, in this case, the stewards did give their justification for the penalty - they noted that Grosjean had almost left the track and, had he not put his foot down, probably would have slid fairly harmlessly out into the run off area, whereas by putting his foot down he basically drove straight back into the middle of the track and into the oncoming cars. It has to be said that his move was a bit amateurish for a driver of his experience (nearly 130 races under his belt), and his lack of form in recent races is leading to some starting to draw a few unfavourable comparisons with his form in 2012.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

mario wrote:At least, in this case, the stewards did give their justification for the penalty - they noted that Grosjean had almost left the track and, had he not put his foot down, probably would have slid fairly harmlessly out into the run off area, whereas by putting his foot down he basically drove straight back into the middle of the track and into the oncoming cars. It has to be said that his move was a bit amateurish for a driver of his experience (nearly 130 races under his belt), and his lack of form in recent races is leading to some starting to draw a few unfavourable comparisons with his form in 2012.

Yes , that's true. But I still think that his mistake was an over reaction in a split second, trying to avoid being turned around, or reversing off into the barrier. He didn't know he'd wind up where he did.
True, if he'd just accepted the spin, it would have been better. But it didn't seem such an awful error to me.
Meanwhile Kevin..perhaps he didn't see Gasly in Baku , or Leclerc in free practice, but I'm not wholly convinced. If Kevin gets the benefit of the doubt, why not cut Romain some slack.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...