Max Verstappen
9%
The stewards
No votes

Total votes: 22

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Monaco

Post by Londoner »

1. The TV director - Utterly insipid coverage of the race, missed tons of moments.

2. Lance Stroll - Holy crap he was awful.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
RAK

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Monaco

Post by RAK »

Going for Williams here, especially Lance Stroll, but both cars were well behind the pace this weekend.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I don't mean to bash him again, and he did nothing particularly bad in the race, but Verstappen gets a nomination from me. Had he not crashed in FP3, it could've been him standing on the top step instead of his teammate!

And also Leclerc's luck with regards to the brake failure, let's hope this isn't the beginning of a homerace curse.

EDIT: Williams and Haas as well.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 27 May 2018, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Williams - awful, sad.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

For me it has to be Lance Stroll, for doing virtually everything wrong this weekend- he was way off the pace of Sirotkin, managed to puncture his front tyres twice through incidents that were his own fault, and was downright rude to his mechanics over the radio. Simply dire.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

This easily goes to Williams. Last two finishers, far behind everyone else. Stroll had a bad qualifying and two punctures in the race, while Sirotkin's race was ruined by an infringement on the grid. The only positive of the weekend for them was Sirotkin's qualifying, otherwise it was a sad showing of how the mighty have fallen.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Willaims Racing team. Dead last this weekend and possibly the teams worst showing since the infamous 2013 showing (At least the Pastor was entertaining and we knew Bottas had talent) Stroll and Sirotkin are just plain dull.

2- Brendon Hartley- On a weekend that he knew he had to impress due to plenty of Rumors going around about his future. Yes his Retirement was not his fault (nor was it Leclerc's due to brake failure) but he qualified a poor 16th while his teammate once again got into the top 10 shootout). Hartley was once again off the pace. He was never near the points. Plus points on the board can impress as well. Gasly has 18. Hartley has 1. Even Stroll and Ericsson have managed more points than Hartley this season.

HM- Haas- Poor all weekend
Verstappen- THAT crash in FP3 cost him a possible win. Not having a good season
Alonso's Gearbox- The Only offical retirement of the race. Cost him some more good points.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Haas: Where the hell were they!?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

rachel1990 wrote:2- Brendon Hartley

....no.

...he qualified a poor 16th...

Being held up by a car that's also doing a hotlap is never conducive to a good qualifying position.

...was once again off the pace...

Well, he was showing excellent pace in practice, and even outside of that made up seven positions in the race after an early setback. I don't know if he was lapping as quickly as Gasly in similar conditions during that time but he was clearly doing something right.

He was never near the points.

He was running 11th at the time of his retirement (penalty notwithstanding). He probably wouldn't have gotten into the top ten in the end but I'd call that close.

Hartley hasn't been the most impressive driver this year so far, but if he's had a shining moment anywhere it was at Monaco.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:Haas: Where the hell were they!?

Being ordered by the FIA to remove part of the bargeboards because they kept breaking when they hit the kerbs and were leaving shards of carbon fibre around the circuit probably didn't help - I mean, that in itself is pretty rejectful (when was the last time that the FIA effectively ordered a team to have to stop and repair the cars because of a bodywork issue?). https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas ... 42052/?s=1

Elsewhere, pretty much everybody within Williams apart from Sirotkin deserve a nomination - Stroll was rubbish, and in the one race where Sirotkin was able to get the car into a half decent position and might have had an outside chance of a point given Alonso's retirement, it was Williams who let him down with their mistake when preparing the cars.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Now I remember why I don't post on this site anymore. Because when I have an opinion I get completely shot down. Just because I didn't go with the crowd.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Simtek wrote:
rachel1990 wrote:2- Brendon Hartley

....no.

...he qualified a poor 16th...

Being held up by a car that's also doing a hotlap is never conducive to a good qualifying position.

...was once again off the pace...

Well, he was showing excellent pace in practice, and even outside of that made up seven positions in the race after an early setback. I don't know if he was lapping as quickly as Gasly in similar conditions during that time but he was clearly doing something right.

He was never near the points.

He was running 11th at the time of his retirement (penalty notwithstanding). He probably wouldn't have gotten into the top ten in the end but I'd call that close.

Hartley hasn't been the most impressive driver this year so far, but if he's had a shining moment anywhere it was at Monaco.

Also worth pointing out that Hartley ran the whole race with a damaged front wing.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

rachel1990 wrote:Now I remember why I don't post on this site anymore. Because when I have an opinion I get completely shot down. Just because I didn't go with the crowd.

You are free to defend your position. While I have voiced support for Hartley in the past I'm not blind to the rather uninspired nature of his performances since last October. I just happen to think Monaco was the standout exception to this rule even if Gasly is once again looking like the better driver of the two. I'm not interested in silencing anyone, but this is a forum for discussion. This includes debate of polarising viewpoints.

If you've found anything offensive about my post, I am open to discussion.

Salamander wrote:Also worth pointing out that Hartley ran the whole race with a damaged front wing.

Ah, that'd be the early race setback I was referring to. I knew there was damage somewhere, cheers for clearing that up. :)
#FreeGonzo
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I'd like to throw The Stewards into the mix, with this handy little chart penalty chart from the weekend:

- Speeding under the VSC: 0.8 second and 1.1 second penalties
- Crossing three lanes of traffic and putting someone on the wall in the process: Drive-through penalty
- Failing to put a wheel on with 3 minutes to go: 10-second stop-go penalty

It wasn't quite Baku levels of bad, but it was pretty rough to watch
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Williams - that was painful to watch :(
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

1. Tyre set - proved to be utterly broken this weekend, only mitigated by Monaco.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I was thinking throughout the race that Haas and Williams were really trying to take this prize from each other, with both of them fighting for last place for much of it. The latter won I suppose.

Verstappen spent the whole race, as the Sky Team said, "hoping for a safety car". He overtook cars and got points, sure, but compare it with his teammate's performance. If the Red Bull drivers wanted to be competing for the championship, Monaco was the race they needed to win. One did.

Esteban Ocon was far too lenient in letting the front-runners pass him, and by the front-runners I mean the Mercedes drivers. I rolled my eyes when I saw it happen not once, but twice :roll:

The return of the Last Name---Last Name rivalry is my last nomination :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1. The stewards for effectively screwing over Sirotkin's outside chance to score points.
2. Williams for effectively screwing over Sirotkin's outside chance to score points.
HM for the race - dull borefest in an otherwise decent season.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

On reflection, I'd like to throw another name into the ring for consideration:

Step right up Fernando Alonso. Not for anything he did on track, but rather for having a moan about this being the "worst race ever", despite the fact it's nowhere near being the worst race all year. And thus, opening the floodgates for all the other drivers to have a moan about what was in actuality a pretty good race by Monaco standards
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I echo Wizzie in that Alonso (and Hamilton) both calling this the worst race ever is rejectful... Nothing is as boring as Bahrain 2010!!!

One nomination for me is Turn 6 Debris why did it take driver radioing in its presence to have something happen about it?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Williams have always been bad at Monaco recently, and this year has been 2011 nostalgia. I never expected them to be anywhere else here.

Haas were nowhere and, as mario says, their potential excuse just makes it more rejectful.

Verstappen would've probably won without crashing with 10 minutes of practice left. That's six out of six races hitting something. I propose a new Predicament Predictions category, What Will Verstappen Hit?, to replace DNS. No, not really.

Reject of the Race is Haas, Reject of the Weekend is Verstappen. I don't know what that counts as.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

I'll support the nomination of Haas. It's close between them and "Williams bar Sirotkin" but the bargeboards clinch it in a brilliant way. Verstappen I feel is also a contender if only for the dramatic change in rhetoric from the higher-ups at Red Bull. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here. Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel giving ammunition to the annual "Monacoabsolutelyhastobedroppedthefutureofthesportdependsonit" brigade is just plain annoying and will be forgotten about in two weeks like it always is.
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Haas - Nowhere this weekend, amazingly enough they're now down to 8th in the WCC.
2. Stroll - Dreadful
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

There were a lot of suggestions for Reject of the Race for this week (which is good!), but I've had to narrow it down to the four above. Get voting!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So the winner of Reject of the Race in Monaco was Everybody at Williams except for Sergey Sirotkin! Not that the engineers themselves were particularly to blame over the weekend, but as the team's awful chassis was at its worst pace of even this season so far, the only person taking away the limelight from that was their own Lance Stroll, whose antics and mistakes throughout the race was the cherry on the cake.