Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 01 Jun 2018, 06:40

Daniel Ricciardo
56%
Pierre Gasly
22%
Channel 4's Qualifying Programme Coverage
6%
Sergey Sirotkin
17%

Total votes: 18

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco

Post by Londoner »

1. Daniel Ricciardo - That drive will go down in the history books, I thought he was done when he reported the loss of power.

2. Esteban Ocon - If it wasn't for the late VSC, I'd have put money on him finishing ahead of Bottas. He was taking almost two seconds a lap out of the Finn at one point.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
IceG

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco

Post by IceG »

(1) The 2018 Monaco F1 GP - that was the best race of the season so far for me. Just shows that rain and overtaking are not the only things to spice it up.

(2) Gasly
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Daniel Ricciardo's run today must surely be the most improbable this weekend, for somehow holding on for the win in a Red Bull that was 160bhp down on power, and lacking two gears, and ultimately (through better tyre management) by a fair margin too!

A Honourable Mention must also go to Pierre Gasly, for getting into Q3 in qualifying then managing P7 in the race, ahead of both Renaults on pure pace.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Daniel Ricciardo's win in spite of all that was against him was just legendary. He kept his head and won his second victory of the season already.

Charles Leclerc, though I know he's won the last two awards already, was once again great until his brake failure.

Pierre Gasly getting points again should go noticed as well.

Honestly, I don't remember anything else being outwardly awesome about the race outside of Ricciardo's heroics...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Ricciardo
2. Gasly
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

This is going to be another one of those slam-dunk victories, so I'm going to give an honourable mention to Channel 4's qualifying programme, specifically. Why? While showing some archive film, they overlaid this on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpXwV3woHi4

...and anyone watching the BBC circa the early 1990s will know why that drew my attention.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

I'll nominate Ricciardo, for winning despite being down on power by 20% for 70% of the race.

Honourable mention to Ricciardo, for getting Prince Albert and Princess Charlene to swig champagne out of the bottle (even though I suspect the Princess didn't actually drink anything).
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Honestly, I tip my hat to Pierre Gasly here. He managed that ultra-long hypersoft stint, played his cards perfectly, and deserved more than 7th in my books. Might have been a bit off form in the past few races, but at least he showed that his performance in Bahrain wasn't just pure luck.

Also, an honourable mention to Sergey Sirotkin. Yes, he only finished ahead of his teammate, who had two punctures in the race. But he showed some serious pace in qualifying, and if it weren't for Williams in 2018 being...well, Williams in 2018, he might've been battling for a point or two instead of receiving the draconian stop'n'go penalty.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That's the poll up for the next 48 hours! The third and fourth choices were very difficult to narrow down to two options, so I took the sentiments toward Sirotkin I'd seen on other threads and the chat for his nomination. If your choice wasn't there, I'm sorry, but I'm going with what I can see posted.

Get voting :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The winner of the Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race in Monaco was Daniel Ricciardo, who wins his second award this year, once again for a very meritorious win! This time he was completely dominant all weekend, succeeding where his teammate failed, and even when all hope was lost and he lost power half an hour into the race, he held his ground, kept Vettel behind, and won Monaco.