The 2018 Canadian Grand Prix
21%
McLaren and Williams, the former powerhouses
5%

Total votes: 19

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Canada

Post by Londoner »

1. Whoever waved the chequered flag - Well, that's one way to emulate Pele.

2. The Canadian Grand Prix - F1's actually been pretty decent this year. This race was anything but decent. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Canada

Post by good_Ralf »

My top 3 are:
Chequered flag guy for obvious reasons
Lance Stroll - Just embarrassing, not to mention he put Hartley's health (drive?) at risk
McLaren - They've really fallen back since Australia, this was a performance comparable to something from the Honda days

It must be said, I agree that this race was pretty dull action-wise after the Safety Car, although 2011, 2012 and 2014 are the only Canadian GPs that I can truly savour from recent years.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 10 Jun 2018, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

1: Winnie Harlow (that's the checkered flag girl) for reasons

2: Lance Stroll for more reasons
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:1: Winnie Harlow (that's the checkered flag girl) for reasons

2: Lance Stroll for more reasons

Well, I think that we know who is pretty much a dead cert for winning...

As for the Stroll-Hartley clash, I would like to see what exactly happened there from a slightly different angle, as most replays seemed to show the final part of that clash. I would be interested to see how Hartley managed to get a run on Stroll in the first place, and whether there had been any contact before that.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

mario wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:1: Winnie Harlow (that's the checkered flag girl) for reasons

That we do. Do we even need the vote on this one?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

dinizintheoven wrote:
mario wrote:

Not even Carly Rae Jepsen would've managed such a thing, and let's remember she did THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwAywJlo1M
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
James1978

Post by James1978 »

One that hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet - the gap between the top 3 teams and the rest. There was a full lap between 6th and 7th for god's sake!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:
mario wrote:

On review, it is possible that we have rushed to judgement and blamed the wrong person here.

There is a suggestion from some Canadian broadcasters that it might actually be the fault of the clerk of the course - they have suggested that he miscounted the number of laps and told her to waive the flag when she did. If that is correct, it's the clerk of the course who really should get the blame there.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

How can it not be anything but:

Winnie Harlow: A nice reversal of Pele in Brazil 2002. People are saying it's not her fault because she was told by officials too early but I don't buy that because surely she was watching the lap count somewhere beforehand?

Other nominees for me are:

The fallen powerhouses: by which I mean McLaren and Williams. 1 of their cars fail to finish the race and the other cars finish in the last 2 positions behind even Ericsson's Sauber. McLaren in particular have been on the slide for 3 races now and with each passing day you get the feeling that Honda weren't wholly to blame for the last 3 seasons especially when Toro Rosso are having no apparent issues and Red Bull are considering picking the Honda powerplants up. As for Williams do we even need to go there again?

Sergio Perez: That whining about wanting Sainz black flagged was pretty bemusing and made him sound a bit petty

The Gulf between the top 3 and the rest: As quite rightly pointed out there was a whole lap between 6th and 7th which is pretty sobering. Especially when you consider that Williams and Force India were taking genuine podium results just 2-3 years ago, Perez's podium in Baku felt so good but it was in a chaotic race.

The Race itself: I've been watching this sport since 2002 and at every previous Canadian GP I've always enjoyed a certain element of each race. I can't think of one such for this years event
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

My nomination is Stroll for another embarrassing race. I don't think he is as bad as a lot of people think, but his form lately has been awful (much worse than last year actually).

Dishonorable mentions to the race for being boring and the flag waver.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

mario wrote:There is a suggestion from some Canadian broadcasters that it might actually be the fault of the clerk of the course - they have suggested that he miscounted the number of laps and told her to waive the flag when she did. If that is correct, it's the clerk of the course who really should get the blame there.

This, just to make sure Rob puts up the right candidates.

I'm also giving a shoutout to Heineken for two of the worst pieces of trackside advertising I've ever seen. Anyone else see the lights at the start?

(also, a message from Dennis Hopper while we're on the subject)
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Simtek wrote:(also, a message from Dennis Hopper while we're on the subject)

Regarding the two brand names mentioned in that clip: we have the new dictionary definition of "no score draw".
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

1.) The "model" who waved the flag early. (She should get it just for that awful pre-race interview where she admitted she doesnt like F1).

2.) Lance Stroll doing Lance Stroll things.

3.) Sky Sports. I'm glad they give ESPN the feed and its commercial free, but man, their announcers are terrible.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

The person who told Winnie Harlow to wave the chequered flag, some most have told her it was time to wave the flag unless of course she decided herself that it was time to wave the flag.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. The person who waved the checkered flag: China 2014 all over again
2. Lance Stroll: Slow all weekend, and managed to top it off by ruining Hartley's race too with an aimless attempt at defending his position. They'll have to put Kubica in the car at this rate...
DHM:
Mclaren: New upgrades = Less performance, and less reliability
Overtaking: What overtaking?
Bottas: Squandered a clear opportunity for a first victory this year, and is progressively weakening his case for a drive next year
Raikkonen: See above, replacing "first victory" with a "a podium"
The FIA's proofreader: After the Spainish GP two rounds back, the Candian GP made its F1 debut this weekend; https://i.imgur.com/JDxZor7.jpg
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

The flag is too obvious, I pick whoever flashed "55" as a speed limit on those blue signs during an F1 race. smh :deletraz:
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

It really is glorious, coming into a ROTR thread and there being no mention at all of Romain Grosjean.

Anyway, I’m going to make a broad nomination that should be all-encompassing: the flag shenanigans. That ought to do it.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

With the exception of Rmn Grsjn, as previously stated, every candidate for Reject of the Year made their case at this race. We had, Lance Stroll crashing on the opening lap, McLaren having terrible pace and no reliability AFTER replacing the Honda engines, Williams continuing to be hideously slow. And then the cherry on top of the Rejectful cake which was the early flag-waving.

In that sense we had a great race :deletraz:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. That little piece of China marked by that enormous red star at turn 5 I think :D
2. Stroll seemed to get some oversteer before hitting Hartley? So the oversteer gets my vote.
HM's. Mclaren - oh dear. The 'race'.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I'd go with Williams- - Sirotkin apparently held up those behind him by a lot. Quick enough they had trouble overtaking , but watching his lap times - it was slow that Williams . Really off the pace.

And I'm not blaming Stroll
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I also like how people haven't nominated the Candian Grand Prix --- misspellings of race names has already been completely normalised after Spain :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Since everyone's nominating Stroll, I'll pick Hartley for thinking that move was a good idea. And the writing on the solid red kerbs. And whoever it turns out was responsible for the chequered flag mishap. How many nominations do I get?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

You-Gee-Eee-Day wrote:The flag is too obvious, I pick whoever flashed "55" as a speed limit on those blue signs during an F1 race. smh :deletraz:

pretty sure those were for blue flags for car 55 (Carlos Sainz JR) :facepalm:

my nomination is getting celebrities to wave the flag at the end of the race.... :facepalm:
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Lance Stroll; just for being... Lance Stroll

KUB couldn't do any worse, but there's the question of the money
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The poll is up! There were a lot of options this week, so I tried to merge a few of the popular suggestions together, such as McLaren and Williams; the various boring aspects of the race such as large gaps and no overtaking. You have 48 hours to vote, people!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

In a slow but steady move back towards the abstractness of the award, the GPRejects community have awarded the Reject of the Race for the Canadian Grand Prix to Flag-Gate, the controversy that's on everybody's lips for the next twenty minutes! Winnie Harlow waved the flag, either of her own volition or because she was told to at the wrong time---who cares? Daniel Ricciardo does, because it means his fastest lap was discounted, and millions of participants in the Predicament Predictions championship lost a point under a technicality :facepalm: due to the official regulations, the race was called a lap or two early, and the whole thing was a disaster. And this is in a race where Lance Stroll crashed on the opening lap of his home race, while McLarens trundled around in 15th! We truly live in interesting times...