Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Canada

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 15 Jun 2018, 12:20

Romain Grosjean
41%
A Leclerc points result no longer being a novelty
24%
Sergio Pérez not crashing
6%
None of the Above
29%

Total votes: 17

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Canada

Post by Londoner »

Given that absolutely nothing in the grand prix itself was improbable, I have to go with the following choices.

1. Matt Simpson - Who'd thought we'd hear the words "Matt Simpson; BTCC race winner" in any universe.

2. Scott Dixon - Finally cleared Michael Andretti's win total. Looking ominously strong for the IndyCar title already.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dinizintheoven

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Canada

Post by dinizintheoven »

East Londoner wrote:Given that absolutely nothing in the grand prix itself was improbable...

...then it pains me to have to do this, but my nomination is going to Scotland's ODI cricket team.

I don't know how they did it, but as soon as Cricket On 5 makes it onto the catch-up service, I'll find out.

Then I'll go and watch more of Grand Designs New Zealand. It's for the scenery, you understand.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Nico Rosberg (on Twitter)
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Leclerc had another very good race, but my nomination is Romain Grosjean. After a horrible start to the season, he finally had a good race – starting from the back due to his engine failing, he managed to make his tires last for 48 laps! Sadly no points. but finishing ahead of Magnussen was a good result considering how hopelessly his weekend began.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I don't think anyone did anything outstanding. Leclerc getting into the points isn't surprising anymore because that man is going to be a world champion one day. Maybe Verstappen for actually getting through a weekend without crashing? God we really are scraping the barrel here aren't we?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I nominate Winnie Harlow. It was improbable so screw you. :P
#FreeGonzo
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

I want to nominate Vettel for this. Winning flag to flag, an amazing pole position. And Grosjean have a nice sunday (some love for poor Romain)
I'm not a serious person
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Erm... err... Romain Grosjean perhaps? He did make it from 20th to 12th over the course of the race through clever strategy, and honestly that's probably the only (positively) improbable event that occured this weekend (Leclerc in the points is becoming a more regular occurence now, so the novelty has worn off)
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ma boi RoGro, for ignoring the urge to channel his 2012 form and actually showing people that he can be good sometimes.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah, I'm agreeing that there wasn't any real improbability at this race, in a positive sense at least. Barrel-scraping is a good analogy!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

I agree with others that no one really did anything improbable but Sergio Pérez' T1 maneuver keeping his car relatively under control and not crashing into anyone after his contact with Sainz is my nomination.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Leclerc is doing his best to wrest default IIDOTR away from Alonso... I guess I'll pick him....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And the poll is up here for 48 hours. As there are usually fewer suggestions in this thread than there are the reject thread, if we don't get enough strong candidates suggested (or if there simply aren't many (any) strong candidates to choose), I'll place a None of the Above category at the bottom, so that there doesn't necessarily have to be an arbitrary option if there's no strong candidate.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And in another case of the expectations being lowered so greatly, the GPRejects audience have deemed Romain Grosjean worthy of Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race! In a weekend his car went up in smoke during practice, then again in Q1, and he started from the back of the grid, he did well to climb up to 12th in a Haas car that is certainly losing momentum as the season progresses. He had a race without incident, and while the Reject Trend-setters were out in force (Stroll; Hartley; Williams; McLaren), he did well and stayed sensible throughout it all. If he can keep this up he can avoid Reject of the Year :chilton: