The 2019 Silly Season thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Waris

Re: The 2019 Silly Season thread

Post by Waris »

This wrote:
Waris wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139022/kvyat-returns-to-toro-rosso-for-2019

Kvyat's Last Stand has been extended for another season!

But seriously, really? I could never have imagined this would be a thing? Is Daniil so desperate for a drive? Or are they offering him a big pay increase?

OH BOY OH BOY THERE IT IS

Surely this has never happened in the history of F1 before: a driver who returns to the same team twice, one time after being fired by that same team?

If i'm not mistaken, Pierluigi Martini got fired from Minardi thrice. (and returned 2 of those 3 times)

Apparently, Eitel Cantoni got fired and rehired twice by Escuderia Bandeirantes in 1952... I wonder what's the story behind that.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Waris wrote:Apparently, Eitel Cantoni got fired and rehired twice by Escuderia Bandeirantes in 1952... I wonder what's the story behind that.

He must have had a major self-esteem problem, then, given that he was the co-owner of Escuderia Bandeirantes. :P
#FreeGonzo
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bobby Doorknobs

good_Ralf wrote:Sean Gelael has been given an FP1 outing by Toro Rosso for Austin. Is there some significance in this?

Yes, the fact that they did it last year as well at the same track (and a couple of others around the same time). :deletraz:

It's still probably going to be Albon/Wehrlein/de la Rosa/whoever-else-is-in-the-news next year.
#FreeGonzo
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

good_Ralf wrote:Sean Gelael has been given an FP1 outing by Toro Rosso for Austin. Is there some significance in this?

Yes, he has copious amounts of money through his father, who owns a crapload of KFC franchises in Southeast Asia and quite a few construction companies.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Wehrlein has now signed for Mahindra in FE. I guess he won't be driving the Toro Rosso next year then, eh? Who could that second seat go to then?

Not Buemi, he's been confirmed for FE and WEC again. Who are the other candidates? Albon, although he has an FE contract, apparently still has a chance, but it looks unlikely to me.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Albon to be the only (?) driver ever to use FE as a route to F1 ( contractually) ...???
I wonder if that will ever happen ; FE to F1 . Hartley does indicate that you can get picked up from anywhere if you have the Superlicence
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

yannicksamlad wrote:I wonder if that will ever happen ; FE to F1 .

Pierre Gasly filled in for Sébastien Buemi at the New York ePrix two and a half months before his first F1 race.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

dinizintheoven wrote:
yannicksamlad wrote:I wonder if that will ever happen ; FE to F1 .

Pierre Gasly filled in for Sébastien Buemi at the New York ePrix two and a half months before his first F1 race.

Thanks!.. so nothing new there then. Not sure if Pierre has made much use of the battery monitoring skills he honed in New York in his later Toro Rosso capacity, but at least he showed FE participation doesnt preclude subsequent F1 racing
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Waris

Post by Waris »

Welp, it seems to be happening as predicted: Albon emerges as favourite for Hartley's Toro Rosso seat
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139460/perez-extends-force-india-contract-for-2019

One more seat taken up for next year. I'm not sure we've seen Lance Stroll be confirmed as his teammate, but I'm assuming that's going to be a formality too.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139463/hamilton-100%25-sure-schumacher-will-get-to-f1

And Lewis Hamilton has put his hat in the ring to say that Mick Schumacher will be in Formula 1 one day! Honestly I agree with him, I can see him right now with enough momentum and fame to make it, even if his name gives him a leg-up to do so.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

In others news... The water wets you, and the fire burn you... Pérez simply didn't have anywhere to go (and i think he didn't want to go to other team anyway)

Ocon has a only fishing line... A weak line to Williams... It's a shame
I'm not a serious person
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:

Yes, he has copious amounts of money through his father, who owns a crapload of KFC franchises in Southeast Asia and quite a few construction companies.

Apparently, there were a few saying that, whilst Toro Rosso did initially run him just for the money, they were surprised that the quality of his feedback was a lot better than expected and have found him to be a reasonably useful test driver - though I'll leave it to others to decide on that claim.

Aguvazk wrote:In others news... The water wets you, and the fire burn you... Pérez simply didn't have anywhere to go (and i think he didn't want to go to other team anyway)

It sounds as if Ocon has decided that he doesn't want to go to Williams because they have been asking him to commit to a multi-year deal. Russell, it seems, was prepared to take that offer - Ocon, by contrast, has said that he is prepared to sit out 2019 if necessary. https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/19/oco ... r-in-2020/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

mario wrote:
Faustus wrote:

Apparently, there were a few saying that, whilst Toro Rosso did initially run him just for the money, they were surprised that the quality of his feedback was a lot better than expected and have found him to be a reasonably useful test driver - though I'll leave it to others to decide on that claim.

Aguvazk wrote:In others news... The water wets you, and the fire burn you... Pérez simply didn't have anywhere to go (and i think he didn't want to go to other team anyway)

It sounds as if Ocon has decided that he doesn't want to go to Williams because they have been asking him to commit to a multi-year deal. Russell, it seems, was prepared to take that offer - Ocon, by contrast, has said that he is prepared to sit out 2019 if necessary. https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/19/oco ... r-in-2020/

Mercedes could probably invent another test driver spot for Ocon if needed.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Now Kubica is saying (again) that he doesn't want to wait until December for Williams to confirm him in the race seat: Autosport reports it

It sounds almost like a warning from him, like he is exhorting the team to get on with it or he's gonna do something else. After the news that they were talking with Ocon, how am I to interpret this? Does this mean it's looking bad for Kubica, because they're keeping him hanging on, or are negotiations with Ocon stranding over the multi-year deal?

If things don't work out with Ocon, surely they must go for Kubica now. Sirotkin's money is no excuse anymore, because apparently Kubica now brings the same amount of backing as Sirotkin. It seems like the team have clearly stated their intent to go with skill over money by signing Russell, so if money is not the issue, they would be crazy not to go with Robert. Markelov, I don't see as a serious contender anymore after his dad got into legal trouble.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Waris wrote:Money is no excuse anymore, because apparently Kubica now brings the same amount of backing as Sirotkin. It seems like the team have clearly stated their intent to go with skill over money by signing Russell, so if money is not the issue, they would be crazy not to go with Robert.

Money never needed to be an excuse anyhow. They went with talent in the first place. The fact that Renault declined to replace Joylon Palmer with Robert Kubica speaks volumes about what Kubica is actually capable of anymore. We all want a heroic underdog story, but this is not Wrestlemania 30 and Kubica is not Daniel Bryan either. Kubica (and the F1 fandom) just need to accept it's over.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Can we have a separate loony moves for Kubica thread? If his only option is a pay drive at Williams then it is over for him.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Klon wrote:
Waris wrote:Money is no excuse anymore, because apparently Kubica now brings the same amount of backing as Sirotkin. It seems like the team have clearly stated their intent to go with skill over money by signing Russell, so if money is not the issue, they would be crazy not to go with Robert.

Money never needed to be an excuse anyhow. They went with talent in the first place. The fact that Renault declined to replace Joylon Palmer with Robert Kubica speaks volumes about what Kubica is actually capable of anymore. We all want a heroic underdog story, but this is not Wrestlemania 30 and Kubica is not Daniel Bryan either. Kubica (and the F1 fandom) just need to accept it's over.

He doesn't have full mobility of his right arm and questions were raised whether his arm is strong enough to allow him to drive the entire length of a race. He had very craftily kept the real situation private until he tested at the end of season last year.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:
Klon wrote:

He doesn't have full mobility of his right arm and questions were raised whether his arm is strong enough to allow him to drive the entire length of a race. He had very craftily kept the real situation private until he tested at the end of season last year.

Even then, I guess it is still a little open to debate - although the tests may have offered some encouraging signs, the fact that it is possible to run shorter stints during the practise sessions when compared to a full race distance does still leave some questions over his performance over a full race distance.

On a different note, we have now had a rather surprising development from Haas in connection with Rich Energy, the peculiar company that has been floating around the sport this year. Haas have apparently announced that Rich Energy will become their new title sponsor in 2019, and that Haas will have a new livery reflecting Rich Energy's colours. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rich ... p/3201980/

This still sounds like a rather odd decision though - the source of the funding for this deal still seems rather opaque, since the company itself seems to have a fairly miniscule turnover. I can't help but wonder whether Haas have signed a deal with a company that might be long on words but short on funding...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Waris

Post by Waris »

I wonder if this is bad news for Williams. I had the impression they were talking to Rich Energy about a title sponsorship deal too.
mario

Post by mario »

Waris wrote:I wonder if this is bad news for Williams. I had the impression they were talking to Rich Energy about a title sponsorship deal too.

Apparently they were talking to them, only for Haas to then sweep in and secure a deal with them.

That said, I still do have a number of reservations over whether this really is quite as good a deal as is being made out. Steiner has said that Haas signed the deal with Rich Energy very quickly, but I wonder whether this might have been signed too quickly given that Rich Energy really do seem to be a bit opaque - their sources of funding seem to be pretty ambiguous, their turnover is negligible (the fact they're registered as a "small company" under the Companies Act indicates their turnover is less than £10 million a year) and few seem to have ever come across the drink that they are apparently selling.

I hope that this doesn't go badly, but I can't shake the feeling that Haas might have rushed into a poor deal - the main thing they seem to be producing at the moment is hot air...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139699/gutierrez-aiming-for-f1-return-with-williams

Two-time Reject of the Year winner Esteban Gutiérrez making a comeback in 2019?

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
girry

Post by girry »

I love GutiGuti's self-confidence. It has no limits.
when you're dead people start listening
Samster

Post by Samster »

Rob Dylan wrote:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139699/gutierrez-aiming-for-f1-return-with-williams

Two-time Reject of the Year winner Esteban Gutiérrez making a comeback in 2019?

Please god no. :facepalm:
Waris

Post by Waris »

I SWEAR TO COD, if that guy Gutiérrez takes the second Williams seat at the expense of Kubica, I will not eat a burrito again in my life. :facepalm:
Bobby Doorknobs

Well, I personally don't see how anyone can be against the employment of Esteban Gutiérrez: Mercedes driver (not to mention ex-Ferrari driver).

This man has led a Grand Prix, he has set the fastest lap of a race, he has raced in IndyCar, and he has taken F1/GP Rejects' most coveted award on two separate occasions. The sport has never needed a driver of this calibre so badly since Jolyon Palmer was sacked by Renault!
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Much like Lewis, Esteban is probably looking to beat that record he holds with Button. He's going for a third Reject of the Year award. He knows he has the potential to do it!
IceG

Post by IceG »

This

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... l/3206602/

rather puts Ricciardo's decision into perspective.

Also when are Motorsport going to make their website readable - those bouncing videos are just a PITA.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

IceG wrote:This

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... l/3206602/

rather puts Ricciardo's decision into perspective.

Also when are Motorsport going to make their website readable - those bouncing videos are just a PITA.

Yeah, that reads like the other RBR driver is going to be Verstappen's pet. Never qualifying higher, never finishing higher unless Verstappen is a long way away.

People think that Bottas being ordered to let Hamilton through in Russia was bad. They're going to flip their lids when it happens in 15 out of the 21 races (the 6 exceptions will be when the Honda engine in one of the cars decides it would rather be a potato halfway through the race and stops working).
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Good news for this forum: Louis Deletraz is testing for Haas in Abu Dhabi.

So, that's what he's doing.

:deletraz:
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Pietro Fittipaldi, grandson of the great Emerson Fittipaldi and son of Christian Fittipaldi, will be Haas's official test driver for 2019.
Maybe Haas will have a Deletraz-Fittipaldi line-up in 2020 :badoer:
mario

Post by mario »

Henrique wrote:Pietro Fittipaldi, grandson of the great Emerson Fittipaldi and son of Christian Fittipaldi, will be Haas's official test driver for 2019.
Maybe Haas will have a Deletraz-Fittipaldi line-up in 2020 :badoer:

At the very least, you hope that is a sign that Ferrucci will be gradually eased out of the team (and the move makes sense given Pietro is connected with Ferrari's Driver Academy).
IceG

Post by IceG »

Yes, yes, so much yes....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubi ... 9/4301134/

Also, tak, tak, tak jak, tak!
Samster

Post by Samster »

IceG wrote:Yes, yes, so much yes....

I'm really not that thrilled about this.

1. I've always found Kubica to be a little overrated.
2. Unless Williams have some miracle resurgence, he's going to be struggling at the back.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

F1.com itself is reporting the news, but no official word from Williams. A bit odd, but I'm happy for Robert. And for Williams. Only bit of good news they've had in years honestly.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Regardless of all the hype, whether that be the promisers of a great comeback, or the naysayers and hesitant folks, I'm just happy we're getting the chance once and for all to see Robert back in an F1 car. I prefer knowing the answer, even partly, as to whether he was capable of an F1 return, as all the talk in the world doesn't really prove a thing in my opinion. I'm just happy that it won't be an endless debate over the next few years as to whether Kubica's return was ever going to be a success of any form. Now we can know and settle the debate. I hope it won't be a fairly short debate. :deletraz:

He's back, baby!
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

IceG wrote:Yes, yes, so much yes....

Excuse me for a second

KUUUUUBBBBBIIIIIICCCCCAAAAA :dance:
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I am crying tears.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Rob Dylan wrote: I'm just happy that it won't be an endless debate over the next few years as to whether Kubica's return was ever going to be a success of any form. Now we can know and settle the debate. I hope it won't be a fairly short debate. :deletraz:

I think the fact he is this far, given what happened to him is success in itself. Anything beyond is a bonus.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140261/vandoorne-will-be-mercedes-f1-simulator-driver

Call me an idiot, but does being a 'simulator driver' mean literally anything? Vandoorne will be Mercedes' 'simulator driver' in 2019, whatever that means. It's like the motorsport equivalent of music venues not paying musicians and instead claiming they're getting 'exposure' - not that I have a chip on my shoulder or anything. Other than having something to put on his CV after this season, I do still believe we won't see Stoffel back in an F1 car, even if Bottas were to retire mid-season or something. Famous last words, of course...