2018 Grosser Preis von Österreich

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
girry

2018 Grosser Preis von Österreich

Post by girry »

Live from the North Tribune at Red Bull Ring:

- Reports from Paul Ricard had me worried about making it in time, but for no reason. Traffic systems were flawless; in other words, there was barely any traffic at all. I arrived here by car from Slovenia at 11am, didn't even have to stop once before parking and it was free!
- The view from the hill above T3 is very good! Value for money certainly, tix were just over 100 for the weekend (even if I could not use the Friday)
- There is an incredible amount of orange here. Some Ferrari and Red Bull gear, Aussie and Finnish flags too, but no sign of Mercedes or Lewis fans whatsoever...
- We can already bet for a dry qualifying because I brought my rain jacket and not my shorts :chilton:
when you're dead people start listening
Rob Dylan

Re: 2018 Grosser Preis von Österreich

Post by Rob Dylan »

Good news, hopefully the traffic won't be awful for Silverstone next week, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Currently Mercedes seem to be all-dominant. Really hoping this doesn't end up being a Hamilton parade again; even a Bottas win would be welcome for a change.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Rob Dylan wrote:Good news, hopefully the traffic won't be awful for Silverstone next week, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The traffic for a normal Grand Prix weekend is usually bad, but only within a few kilometres of the circuit, and even then it's usually managed pretty efficiently. Giraurd being able to reach Spielberg from Slovenia in the timeframe he's implying sounds more or less similar to the time it took me to reach Spa from Luxembourg City when I was over there (left quite late, was at the circuit before 13:00 on both days if I'm remembering correctly).

Paul Ricard was very much a special case...
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Continuing my previous post, we have a dominant Mercedes team again, but at least Bottas is on pole instead of Hamilton? At least by only just. He was pretty much unbeatable here last year so I'm going to jinx him right now and say he'll win :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

giraurd wrote:There is an incredible amount of orange here.

They're all rooting for McLaren?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:Good news, hopefully the traffic won't be awful for Silverstone next week, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Currently Mercedes seem to be all-dominant. Really hoping this doesn't end up being a Hamilton parade again; even a Bottas win would be welcome for a change.

I don't know if it is the case that Mercedes are dominant, or that Ferrari seem to have made a mistake with their set up somewhere and have cost themselves on that front.

Both of the Ferrari drivers were quite competitive in the first two sectors, with Kimi matching the two Mercedes drivers in the first sector and Vettel being quicker than the two Mercedes drivers in the middle sector, not to mention Vettel was topping the speed traps as well.

It's the final sector where they were struggling though, with Vettel only marginally faster than Grosjean and Kimi just 7th fastest. Their car just wasn't as stable as their rivals in the fast turns - the approach speed was similar, but Bottas's mid apex corner speed was quite a bit higher than Vettel could manage. It seems to be a specific problem with a particular sector where they were losing out: however, if that is an inherent trait of the car, I can see Mercedes's better high speed stability giving them a similar advantage in Silverstone, particularly in the latter part of the lap.

In retrospect, their strategy of starting on the ultrasoft tyres looks like a possible strategic mistake as well, particularly now that Vettel's having to start in 6th given his penalty for blocking Sainz in Q2. Whilst it is true that they seemed to have reasonably good tyre wear on that tyre, there were signs of overnight rain that might increase wear rates and force Ferrari into an earlier stop, particularly now that Vettel has to start behind two Red Bull drivers who have the benefit of starting on a harder tyre.

I could see the logic if they were further up the grid and wanted to gamble on getting a good enough start to take the lead, but even so it does seem like they've backed themselves into a bit of a corner - it also raises the risk of a first corner incident slightly more as well, since now Vettel's a little out of position and might get boxed in if he gets off the line faster than those ahead of him, but has nowhere to go afterwards.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
girry

Post by girry »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
giraurd wrote:There is an incredible amount of orange here.

They're all rooting for McLaren?

Fred just thanked them for showing support to McLaren :D
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Goodness sakes!

This is why I sometimes consider Hamilton and Vettel to be the luckiest of the front six, these problems never seem to happen to them :x

Still, if Max can win, I'll be satisfied.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Has Kyvat been sacked from something in the past week???
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

IIDOTR thread should be interesting this week!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hamilton's retirement means Nick Heidfeld's coveted finishing record remains intact. :dance:

That was an excellent race, just what F1 needed after that series of awful races post Baku.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Gutting for Ricciardo, with Hamilton going out he could have been back up there in the title race if he'd stayed in. Nice to see both Mercedes go out to liven things up, and great for all those masses of Dutch fans that Verstappen got the win!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

dr-baker wrote:Has Kyvat been sacked from something in the past week???

Not as far as i know.... so first win when he hadn't been sacked or dropped...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

good_Ralf wrote:Goodness sakes!

This is why I sometimes consider Hamilton and Vettel to be the luckiest of the front six, these problems never seem to happen to them :x
Bet you're eating those words! But seriously, it looks like Germany's fare in sports is continuing its sudden downturn.

WeirdKerr wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Has Kyvat been sacked from something in the past week???

Not as far as i know.... so first win when he hadn't been sacked or dropped...
Expect a DSQ anytime by tonight :P

For me, the most surprising thing after all the DNFs and miracles, I suddenly noticed that Fernando Alonso had finished in 8th. What!?
girry

Post by girry »

For what it's worth I heartily recommend everyone to visit the Austrian GP some time of their life. Or any race in Zeltweg for that matter. It's one of the most beautiful places I have visited. (Slovenia still just pips the beauty of the Austrian countryside. But it doesn't have a GP, sadly.)

Walked up to the track along the old Österreichring on Sunday. What surprised me was how narrow it is, I cannot see them able to restore it despite the persistent rumours that they would - unless they chop down a significant amount of trees, that is.

As a negative though, it was more difficult than I expected to keep up with the race, since I decided to sacrifice a good view for the screen for a good view into T2 for the race, and I had no live timing since my phone battery started acting up before the start. So I had to settle with trying to keep up with the top 6 and the first few of the rest - my brain is only capable of so much processing of gaps and laptimes at once.

Another thing I have to mentoion is that the orange fans were crazy loud, even despite the McLaren team's struggles. :dance: It was almost a football atmosphere towards the last few laps! They also had a huge beef against Vettel - booing at him at every chance possible, hence there was some interesting back and forth between the more ardent Italian Ferrari fans and them going on - my favorite banner was the "There is only a #33 - MARCO MELANDRI" the latters brought to the track for Sunday...

Also, screw Norris and Russell. If any F2 driver should be driving in F1 by now it's Artyom Markelov!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Is it just me or does it seem like a bigger deal when Mercedes make a strategy error than anyone else?

Ferrari have fouled up on strategy with Vettel a few times (and Alonso before him) and there isn't 1/10th the grovelling from their engineers as there is when Mercedes make a hash of Hamilton's strategy.

Is it just because I get my F1 coverage from a British media source?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Enforcer wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like a bigger deal when Mercedes make a strategy error than anyone else?

Ferrari have fouled up on strategy with Vettel a few times (and Alonso before him) and there isn't 1/10th the grovelling from their engineers as there is when Mercedes make a hash of Hamilton's strategy.

Is it just because I get my F1 coverage from a British media source?
No, I said it on the ROTR thread as well; it was just weird how they felt the need to publicly apologise for a team error. It wasn't Lewis's fault. As long as we're all aware that it wasn't his fault. Ok, it happens, there's no need to kiss his feet.