Your Reject of the Race - Austria

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Which constructor won the 1914 French Grand Prix?

Poll ended at 09 Jul 2018, 13:48

Mercedes
67%
Benz
8%
Daimler-Benz
8%
Mercedes-Benz
17%

Total votes: 12

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Austria

Post by Londoner »

1. Mercedes - A double DNF caused by mechanical failure is a rarity for any team not named McLaren. Hamilton's power unit packing up means Nick Heidfeld's finishing record remains intact. Even before that they had thrown away the race win by not pitting Hammy during the VSC...

2. [Stoffel Vandoorne - On a day where everyone was comparatively clean on track, Stoffel's first lap mistake sticks out like a two-footed tackle..
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aguvazk

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Austria

Post by Aguvazk »

Obviously Mercedes has to be the ROTR, but i want to add Toro Rosso and Renault, they not have a good race and missed a good oportunity to bag some points.
I'm not a serious person
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

The crowd, cheering on lap 70. At least they weren't in charge of the flag :pantano:
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I feel Mercedes is the only choice here. Bottas' gearbox broke down, the team screwed up Hamilton's strategy and then his car also broke down. No points after starting first and second, and they've even lost the lead in the constructors' championship now (just a week ago I thought the WCC was pretty much already theirs)!
RAK

Post by RAK »

Going to join the chorus of voices saying Mercedes. Going from what should have been an assured 1-2 to a double retirement is pretty embarrassing for a front-runner.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Samster

Post by Samster »

My nomination goes to anyone who doesn't pit under VSC. Frankly pitting under VSC is too OP an opportunity to miss even if you have to stack up both of your cars, the time loss is only like ten seconds compared to 20 in normal conditions.

In fact I'm tempted to say pitting under VSC ought to be banned given how broken an advantage it is.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'm going to say Mercedes for blatantly sabotaging Valtteri's race so a British driver can win the championship.
#FreeGonzo
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

You can't vote for anyone else other than Mercedes. The reasons have already been outlined above.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Mercedes double DNF is the obvious choice, so much so that I honestly cannot think of anything or anyone else doing something reject-worthy.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Spain - A terrible performance...
Oh wait, wrong sport! Yeah Mercedes take this one pretty handily, with both drivers losing a lot of ground in the championship (although it's now closed things up for the Red Bull drivers and Kimi). It's the first mechanical double-DNF for the team since the 1950s!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

Samster wrote:My nomination goes to anyone who doesn't pit under VSC. Frankly pitting under VSC is too OP an opportunity to miss even if you have to stack up both of your cars, the time loss is only like ten seconds compared to 20 in normal conditions.

In fact I'm tempted to say pitting under VSC ought to be banned given how broken an advantage it is.

The two Haas drivers seemed to get away with it though, as they didn't pit under the VSC but still managed to top the midfield pack nevertheless.

As others have outlined, Mercedes surely have this unwelcome award pretty comprehensively, and surprisingly, nailed down - they really threw the race away there.

As for a secondary nomination, I guess that you have to go for Renault - they had quite a few mechanical issues in their own right, especially with Hulkenberg's rather fiery failure, whilst Sainz just slipped back and ended up without points despite the attrition in front of him.

Toro Rosso also had a bit of a poorer race than you'd expect - Gasly should have done better than he did, given the number of drivers retiring from in front of him, but he still managed to be overtaken by several drivers running the same strategy as he did. As for Hartley, it was a pretty wretched weekend in terms of reliability, firstly with the engine problems and then with the gearbox problem in the race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

It has to be Mercedes : from a near-certain 1-2, they managed a double-DNF, losing the lead in both the constructors' and driver's championships, which they had began to run away with. Dishonourable mentions must go to Stoffel Vandoorne for ruining his own race on the first lap, and Lance Stroll , for pointless blocking Perez and getting a time penalty for his troubles
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Well, Mercedes, obviously. But also:

- Team radio apologies: I thought it was really strange when the team manager came on the radio to Lewis on multiple occasions to publicly take blame for the poor strategy call. I mean, geez man, get some self-respect already. It seemed like a heavy PR move to me to avoid the inevitable social media backlash (storm in a teacup seems an apt analogy to me...) that might have otherwise happened. Whatever happened to winning as a team; losing as a team? If Hamilton gets a poor strategy call, I say tough! Lewis's ego doesn't need stroked further by repeatedly being told it wasn't his fault.
- Sponsor adverts shoved onto the tv coverage: very jarring and consistently taking me out of the race. Especially the flashing F1 advert that would pop up on the final corner from time to time. Made me want to vomit.
- McLaren: Consistently awful weekend, somehow saved by an 8th placed Fernando, which I certainly didn't see coming. I mean, for the first few laps they were running in the last two positions!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Got to be Mercedes out front, surely.
Then - I think Gasly reported car damage after Stoffel hit him on first lap , so maybe not really his fault or Toro Rosso's...so maybe that leaves Renault. 50% retirements in the top 3 teams, but Renault fail to take advantage...
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Because Mercedes will win but I don't want this getting off easy, I'm going to nominate artificially added stuff. The beeps for the start lights, the virtual Heineken star, the beeps for the pit stop time, the radio sounds (which were already there, I know), and "pit window OPEN" even though it's just a graphic and isn't in the same category.

I guess the graphics explaining the race status meanings are okay if the other option is the commentators doing it instead, but when someone gets booked in football, do you see a graphic explaining that another yellow card will get them sent off? What other sport does stuff like that, even other ones with lesser-known rules? Is F1 too complicated for its new, casual target audience? At least I think it's new(ish). I read once that F1 used to be proud in a vague way of how it was slightly esoteric, but I haven't heard something like that again since. Are the sound effects something I can Blame Liberty for or was it inevitable? Why does every rule change package proposal mention "more racing, fewer penalties" even though the penalties are already too light as is and given out for all the correct incidents and only those? This is a good number of penalties (though not severity), and if you change the rules at this point, we'll just have dirty-drivin' chaos, not brave, brilliant moves. But that's probably what Liberty want anyway. They want more action, not better action, because that's what draws in the general public. Less than a generation ago, there wasn't even a timing tower, and the commentators talked about what everything meant for the course of the race as a whole. (In English, at least.) In this decade they've been focussing on what's happening right now, thus not bringing out the excitement of certain types of race. I'm straying further and further from the topic, but maybe those people saying the new generation has no attention span when they'd obviously hate kids these days no matter what semi-accidentally have a point....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:things...
No, you have agreement here. There surely has to be a good middle ground between Formula 1 drawing in a casual audience and maintaining at least a semblance of self-respect. The last thing I'd like to see is for them to go down the Formula E route, though I fear that's where it's all heading. Theme music; sound effects at every opportunity; more time and footage given to sponsorship.

My problem has always been the dilution of these races and their value by shoving as many on the calendar as possible. It seems like the powers that be would have the races on every week but Christmas if they could.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Samster

Post by Samster »

Tempted to mention Autosport Driver Ratings for only giving Ericsson a 7, meanwhile Lewis 'I chew through my tires and whine about it on the radio' Hamilton gets an 8. :facepalm:
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

What Liberty Media/FOM are doing is an example of early 21st-century consumerism. This fast-food approach to content is being done all over the internet/media, and I feel it will be eventually become normality everywhere. But maybe this is just a generational thing, and in 15 to 25 years time, everything will be done differently. And we are a group of rather intellectual people who probably aren't the type which Liberty are marketing towards.

Personally, I really like the F1 theme music, it's Hollywood-esque but it gives me a feeling of excitement/anticipation for a qualifying session/race. And although it backfires when one driver dominates, having 20 or 21 races in season works for me (no more than that though, the drivers, engineers and mechanics deserve time to rest). Imagine if 2012 had finished after Korea/India and not Brazil. But I do agree some of the holograms/sound effects are quite unnecessary, I guess it's part of the consumerism aspect of the coverage.

This is all coming from someone who often doesn't mind change that much, so unless it F1 falls really deep into the style-over-substance pool, I think I'll be okay. With people like Brawn on LM's side, I'm confident the quality of the racing/action won't deteriorate to cartoonish levels.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Regarding this topic, now the TV coverage try to mimic the videogames, when in the 90's was the videogames trying to mimic the TV coverage. Particullary i like some stuff (the new theme, the "hiding halo" graphic, the grid in the side) I'd like to see a race with no commentary, here in latín America are really poor: one guy doesn't distinguish a Sauber from a Williams, much bias toward Pérez and they always talk over the team radios :facepalm:
Last edited by Aguvazk on 02 Jul 2018, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a serious person
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

good_Ralf wrote:What Liberty Media/FOM are doing is an example of early 21st-century consumerism. This fast-food approach to content is being done all over the internet/media, and I feel it will be eventually become normality everywhere. But maybe this is just a generational thing, and in 15 to 25 years time, everything will be done differently.

Media has become an incredibly different animal in the last 10 years. It's gone from what you see on TV to expanding across numerous social media platforms that people will idle-mindedly check - and Liberty Media understands that. The old FOM was an anachronism, led by a man who didn't understand - or perhaps feared - the pull of social media and the way you can generate an entirely different audience with it. Newspapers aren't the biggest source of news any more - it's Twitter.

It's only in the past year that F1's sustained a "proper" social media presence, and you can see the impact each tweet and each instagram post has. It's phenomenal, and it's the quickest way to reach millions of people on demand.

Of course, it'll change and adapt to technological advances. Printed media came after the development of the printing press. Early websites emerged in the 90s, and then that changed over the 2000s with the introduction of video and faster internet speeds. It's constantly evolving, and any successful business must adapt to that - for example, Instagram's just brought out IGTV as a competitor to YouTube. In F2, we're already using that.

good_Ralf wrote:And we are a group of rather intellectual people who probably aren't the type which Liberty are marketing towards.

I don't really like this attitude, because it suggests that F1's catering to an entirely-casual fanbase - and it's not. It's bringing behind-the-scenes stories, short clips and more to as wide an audience as it can, to all denominations. I don't like the idea that using social media as a platform is tied to going after people with a perceived lower intellect (and honestly, I think measuring yourself on intelligence is bollocks anyway), it's simply trying to reach a big audience.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

It's time for the British Grand Prix and Rob is off somewhere, so I've taken matters into my own hands. Plenty of great nominations all around, but I've had to narrow it down to four. You know what to do, you have 48 hours.
#FreeGonzo
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Simtek wrote:It's time for the British Grand Prix and Rob is off somewhere, so I've taken matters into my own hands. Plenty of great nominations all around, but I've had to narrow it down to four. You know what to do, you have 48 hours.

Said he was off to watch a race somewhere, hope he doesn't miss the F1 :deletraz:
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Bobby Doorknobs

Eight of you were correct, it was indeed Mercedes who won the 1914 French Grand Prix, as the merger with Daimler was still a decade away. Due to the state of European politics at this time, the Lautenschlager win did not go down well with the French spectators...

Oh, and Mercedes won Reject of the Race.
#FreeGonzo