Marcus Ericsson
19%
Fernando Alonso
6%

Total votes: 16

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Austria

Post by Londoner »

1. Romain Grosjean - After such a terrible season so far, to go out and score the best ever result for Haas must lift an enormous weight off his shoulders.

2. Marcus Ericsson - Excellent stuff from the Swede.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Austria

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Definitely Grosjean, after that double out a few races ago.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Haas with their double top five finish would be a great candidate, especially Grosjean. However, my nomination is Alonso. I was stunned to see him eighth after Hamilton's car broke down. :o
RAK

Post by RAK »

Romain Grosjean certainly had a more successful race than the last few and got a solid result, along with his Haas teammate. I think that Fernando Alonso deserves a shout-out as well, going from a pitlane start to finish in the points.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Samster

Post by Samster »

Haas for their best ever weekend both in quali and race and redemption for Australia.
Ericsson for almost grabbing 8th and equaling his career best.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The Haas drivers put in a kind of performance we've seen before already this year and benefitted from retirements, whilst Ericsson was racing with "future youngest Ferrari driver since Ricardo Rodríguez" Charles Leclerc right at the end. I know who I'd pick.
#FreeGonzo
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I vote for ATTRITION it was so nice to see driver's order being shook up and people having to work to make it to the end
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Haas for the best finish of the team's career so far with a 4th and 5th.
2. Romain Grosjean for finally having luck on his side and scoring a well-deserved 4th
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

sswishbone wrote:I vote for ATTRITION it was so nice to see driver's order being shook up and people having to work to make it to the end

2. Romain Grosjean - Brilliant stuff, really.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Romain Grosjean - Maybe it should be Haas overall but this was sorely needed, it could've been a podium finish in different circumstances.
Fernando Alonso - That McLaren is still not back to itself flyaway-levels of pace.

HM: Max Verstappen - That's more like it, dude! If the championship had started in Canada, he'd be leading it now.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

As others have said, it's hard to know whether it should be just Grosjean or Haas in general - in one of their better weekends, both drivers really took full advantage, though perhaps Grosjean just edges it given the troubled season he has had.

Alonso's 8th place was also another fairly surprising result given his pit lane start and having to force his way through the field. Ericsson, too, deserves recognition - he recovered from a poor qualifying session with a decent recovery drive, and was battling away with Leclerc (though I think it is fair to say that Leclerc did seem a little distracted this weekend, perhaps no doubt with all the stories in the press linking him to Ferrari).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Alonso - pit lane to 8th in a heap of crap.
Haas - points finishes for the inconsistent twins.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

There a lots of candidates this time round- Grosjean is the standout candidate, for scoring his first points this season with a brilliant run to 4th place, Haas' best ever result. Marcus Ericsson must get a mention too, for genuinely outpacing Leclerc late in the race and forming part of Sauber's first double-points finish in over 3 years (that too is nomination-worthy), as must Fernando Alonso, for dragging a fragile, underwhelming Mclaren to 8th from a pitlane start.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

No new suggestions from me. Great to see Haas score so well; great to see attrition take out some front-runners and spice up the result; great to see Max Verstappen bounce back after a difficult set of opening races.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Ferrari engines - For the first time ever, 6 Ferrari-engined cars in the top 10, while everyone else was having issues.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

RAK wrote:Romain Grosjean certainly had a more successful race than the last few and got a solid result, along with his Haas teammate. I think that Fernando Alonso deserves a shout-out as well, going from a pitlane start to finish in the points.

I'd go with this
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bobby Doorknobs

So, who won:

Romain Grosjean: Finished ahead of Magnussen to score not only his first points of the year, but the highest-ever finish for the Haas team.
Haas: Alternatively, both drivers stayed out of trouble and took home a massive points haul to leap two places in the constructors' championship.
Marcus Ericsson: Was very close to his more highly-rated teammate all race and did his part in getting Sauber's first double-points finish in over three years.
Fernando Alonso: Pitlane to points, yet another great drive from the former world champion.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

It looked very close for a while there, but Haas F1 Team have won the Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race award! Over to Rob to see how this affects Predicament Predictions...
#FreeGonzo