We've forgotten something...

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

So, the race is tomorrow. :deletraz:
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Re: We've forgotten something...

Post by Salamander »

Simtek wrote:So, the race is tomorrow. :deletraz:

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Iowa Corn 300. Iowa's put on some great shows in recent years - I just hope that now that Ryan Hunter-Reay is in the form of his life, that he doesn't walk away with it on what is probably his best track.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:So, the race is tomorrow. :deletraz:

Well, I guess that perhaps it's not only the teams that are fatigued by having a triple header...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Murray Walker doing a Back to the Future tribute with shitty CGI may be the most baffling framing device I've seen for a pre-race feature...
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hamilton, with a damaged Mercedes, is still able to mow down the midfield with no trouble at all. Goddamn we need chassis parity in F1, the advantage top cars have now is ridiculous. :badoer:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Inb4 Hamilton fans want Raikkonen to be banned from F1 for touching their Golden Boy.

East Londoner wrote:Hamilton, with a damaged Mercedes, is still able to mow down the midfield with no trouble at all. Goddamn we need chassis parity in F1, the advantage top cars have now is ridiculous. :badoer:

Time to make it a spec series?
Last edited by Enforcer on 08 Jul 2018, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Can someone explain the difference between Vettel vs Bottas in France and Räikkönen vs Hamilton in Britain? Why did Kimi get twice as harsh penalty from what seemed like a similar incident?

e. If anything, Vettel's incident was more severe as he totaled Valtteri's rear tyre but Kimi only spun Lewis around.
Last edited by CarloSpace on 08 Jul 2018, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

CarloSpace wrote:Can someone explain the difference between Vettel vs Bottas in France and Räikkönen vs Hamilton in Britain? Why did Kimi get twice as harsh penalty from what seemed like a similar incident?

Because he touched Hamilton at the British Grand Prix.
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

The commentators can't avoid pointing out how pointless it is to oppose him...
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

"Britsh Grand Prix".

Nice to see them keeping up the tradition. :deletraz:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Agree with East Londoner, this is getting very silly. Just over halfway, Hamilton over 30 seconds clear of Hulkenberg despite being spun around on the first lap. :roll:
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Lewis back into big baby mode again, refusing to be interviewed. There's your 'driver of the day' everyone.....
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

That was quite exciting, although the final result is a bit unsatisfactory.
Although the front three teams are too far ahead of the midfield, I'd rather have a field spread like this than something like 2015.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Honestly the field behind the top three teams may as well be Formula 1.5 this is at least the third season in a row it’s been like this.
mario

Post by mario »

CarloSpace wrote:Can someone explain the difference between Vettel vs Bottas in France and Räikkönen vs Hamilton in Britain? Why did Kimi get twice as harsh penalty from what seemed like a similar incident?

e. If anything, Vettel's incident was more severe as he totaled Valtteri's rear tyre but Kimi only spun Lewis around.

There has been a suggestion that the stewards have come under heavier pressure to adjust the severity of the penalty based on the outcome of an event. That suggests that Kimi may have been penalised more harshly on the basis that, whilst he spun Hamilton and put him at the back of the grid, Kimi didn't really lose anything as a result of his collision.

Alternatively, it could be that the stewards decided that, in the case of Vettel and Bottas, whilst the outcome was more severe for Bottas, since his car was damaged, Vettel also damaged his car in that collision and ended up also dropping to the rear of the pack - so, because Vettel also compromised his own race as well as that of Bottas, they might have said "well, he's penalised himself enough, so there's no need for a harsher penalty".

In either case, the answer is not exactly satisfactory, but it seems that is how the decisions are now being made due to pressure from the fans. It's, predictably, also seen some Ferrari fans kicking off with complaints about "biased local stewards", which is rather laughable when the stewards are American, Turkish and Danish...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

A surprisingly entertaining race! Loved the Mercedes-Ferrari top four battle at the end, and I'm glad Vettel was able to win to keep the championship very interesting. Credit to Hamilton for making it all the way back up to second, though.