Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Germany

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 27 Jul 2018, 09:17

Brendon Hartley
16%
Lewis Hamilton
21%
Marcus Ericsson
37%
Romain Grosjean
26%

Total votes: 19

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Germany

Post by Londoner »

1. Brendon Hartley - Another point!

2. Marcus Ericsson - More points! :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Germany

Post by Klon »

1. Lewis Hamilton - If you had told someone before the formation lap Hamilton would get away from the race with a double-digit championship lead, you would've been looked at like a total idiot.

2. Marcus Ericsson - clever race, earned a good finish there.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. Lewis Hamilton: he pulled off the strategy pretty much flawlessly and walks away from Hockenheim with a significant lead in the championship that nobody would have believed possible before the race started.

2. Marcus Ericsson, for some good points in a car that shouldn't be anywhere near them after a difficult race.

HM to Mercedes' strategist team after some really questionable decisions in the previous races.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Grosjean - Another strong points finish when he's under pressure to hold on to his seat
Ericsson - Not the Sauber driver I would've expected to score in a situation like this
Hartley - Another deserved point after the bad luck in recent events
Hamilton - It's kinda boring that he's the one to win after all that, but still, it's a deserved victory
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

In the interests of keeping this award in line with the radio/novel/TV series that inspired its name, my nomination goes to:

Rob McKenna wrote:Och, cannae stand all this rain. Glasgow to Dover, rain types 16, 21, 31 to 33, 54, 63, 94, 112. Through France, types 3, 9, 19 and a bit more of 31, then 66. Southern Belgium, Ardennes forest, hours of type 17. Hate that one. Hate it. Luxembourg, type 18. Got pure drenched at the fuel stop. Saarland, all of the 70s, one by one. Getting a wee bit annoyed now. Oh well, time for a fag and a haggis sandwich... Rasthof Am Hockenheimring, cannae pronounce it, but it'll do... bet it'll keep raining all along... I see, type 42. Havnae seen that in a while. Still dinnae like it. Grumble, grumble, grumble... what's that noise? Sounds like a Grand Prix over there.
*lights fag, rain puts it out*
OCH YAE WEE SCUNNER! *more grumbling*

I will also add an honourable mention for Charles Leclerc - who had an unusually bad race overall (by the standard we've come to expect), but holding that 360° spin and carrying on as if it was no trouble was nothing short of spectacular.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Going to give an alternate to Hamilton here:

Force India - double points placement, overall solid driving.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
mario

Post by mario »

Grosjean - considering that he has been under phenomenal pressure in recent races, this was a solid drive that reminded us that, when he can corral his mental state into the right place, he does still have some decent pace. I hope that it does help to give him some additional confidence and self belief that allows him to put together a few better performances now.

Hamilton - he really did execute the plan that Mercedes gave him to perfection and being able to stretch out that first stint on the softs and still lap at a competitive pace set him up extremely well for the latter part of the race. Credit does also deserve to go to the team as well for judging the weather situation just right and making the right calls on the back of a few questionable decisions.

Ericsson - as others have noted, the way in which he managed to work his way up into the points was surprising and was deserved after a somewhat troubled qualifying session.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I'll nominate Lewis Hamilton. I'm sure most expected him to finish fairly high, but a win was definitely unexpected. The perfect result for him on a weekend that started badly – a performance needed for the championship fight!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Lewis Hamilton: When the race started I expected him to finish at least 5th, At half distance I felt he'd finish 3rd. To win was very surprising. Yes he had luck on his side but when the race becomes open and unpredictable like this he always finds a way to come through

Marcus Ericsson and Brendon Hartley: Scored points. Hartley needed a result like that especially considering that the Toro Rosso looks like it's slipping down the field on pace. Ericsson recovered well after a poor qualifying and as I've said before while Charles Leclerc is very much a champion in the making, Ericsson's climb from being guaranteed a Q1 exit and no points to Q2 regular and occasional points shows Sauber have an improving car
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

I don't think Hamilton really did that much today. On the other hand Mercedes strategists made the win possible. Who would have thought the decision to put on ultra softs while other teams are pitting their cars for inters would be the race winning move? Perfect execution which made it possible for Hamilton to lead come safety car. Valtteri's strategy was excellent too and I think he would have caught Kimi and Seb had Seb not crashed out. He was so much faster before that with fresher tyres that he could have won the race. A 1-2 finish in the end with the main championship hopeful Hamilton winning the race. Great job overall by the team.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Hamilton making it to the top five was a given anyway, and I don't think winning a race thanks to all his opposition either crashing or making poor strategy calls is IIDOTR-worthy. Instead, I'll be traditional and go for the unexpected point scorers Brendon Hartley and Marcus Ericsson, but also for Romain Grosjean, who pulled off a very commendable comeback through the field to take sixth, no mean feat for a man without the benefit of a top-three car!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Toro Rosso was a firmly candidate for Rotr, but Hartley with this point deserves a iidotr, also Force India and Ericsson.
I'm not a serious person
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Marcus Ericsson
Brendon Hartley
I like the way Snrub thinks!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

There are a fair few candidates for this race:
  • Brendan Hartley for actually receiving some good fortune for once with an under-the-radar drive to what became 10th.
  • Marcus Ericsson for continuing his best run of form well, ever by scoring again in the Sauber on a day when Leclerc had some issues, thus helping the team salvage some decent points through his relatively safe driving.
  • Rain for actually appearing in a race for the first time in ages (having teased us in France), and adding a fair bit of excitement to the race.
Valtteri Bottas must get an honourable mention for his wet weather pace, which was almost good enough to overhaul Hamilton on the restart (before team orders killed that battle off), as must Romain Grosjean, for a fighting drive to 6th while virtually everyone else around him (besides the two names above) lost their heads.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I don't mean to call it early here guys, but I think this is possibly Marcus's strongest season to date!

Are we finally seeing

The Ericsson Era? :chilton:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Marcus Ericsson
2. Stoffel Vandoorne
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

For me it was Grosjean and Ericsson . In those conditions I think there was an expectation that they'd be more likely to seen trudging through the gravel than the Ferrari team leader, and yet they held it all together rather well , kept good pace and ...deserved their positions
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is up for the next 48 hours. Lots of strong obvious candidates this week, so a top four was relatively easy and uncontroversial.

Get voting :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So in a race where Lewis Hamilton climbed up from 14th on the grid to win the race on Sebastian Vettel's home turf, Marcus Ericsson wins the Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race :D in true spirit of the forum, we were much more interested in the valiant efforts of the Sauber driver, who may be having one of his strongest seasons yet, as he finished in a strong 9th place yet again. Many drivers messed up strategies or went off, or had problems of other kinds, but Marcus kept his cool and got more points for a rejuvenated Sauber Team. Good work :vergne: