Stoffel Vandoorne's luck
45%
Valtteri Bottas
20%

Total votes: 20

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by Londoner »

1. Valtteri Bottas - I'm afraid those two collisions were entirely his fault.

2. Martin Brundle - Possibly his worst ever performance in the commentary booth, getting glee out of Ferrari having slow pitstops, and then being the only person in the known universe who thought Vettel was at fault for the Bottas incident. Just retire mate. :facepalm:

Honourable mention to Stoffel Vandoorne's luck
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by WeirdKerr »

Bottas: bathplug idiot proves once again he has no place in F1 and MUST be sacked or banned from any racing trying to take out 1 driveris bad enough but then to take out another driver 2 laps later....

:o :shock: :shock:
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Valterri Bottas - What the bathplug? Seriously, did his brain stop to consider any of that was a good idea? In the first accident, I'll say 60/40 fault: Vettel didn't give enough space, but Bottas tried too hard. It ended badly. The second one was extra retarded, dear god.

2. Vandoorne's luck - Finally a good race, and then his car dies.

HM to Jason Plato and Brundle's commentary.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Bottas- for using his car as a battering ram against Vettel and Ricciardo
2. Brundle- for blaming Vettel for not taking evasive action from Bottas behind him, and doing the opposite when Ricciardo was in the same situation.
DHM:
Vandoorne's luck: as soon as his car runs properly, it stops running at all.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

East Londoner wrote:2. Martin Brundle - Possibly his worst ever performance in the commentary booth, getting glee out of Ferrari having slow pitstops, and then being the only person in the known universe who thought Vettel was at fault for the Bottas incident. Just retire mate. :facepalm: [/b]

Crofty was also doing a hypothetical points calculation if Lewis won and Vettel retired ON THE WARM UP LAP. Seriously, those 2 both need to be retired now.

And the stewards seemed to have their feet up all day. Blue flag infringements? Who cares!
mario

Post by mario »

I suspect that Bottas will get quite a few nominations, but to some extent I wonder whether Mercedes should share some of the blame as well. With Kimi having a slow pit stop and being behind the Haas car, they could have left Bottas out for a few more laps and, by shortening the length of that stint on the softs, given him a better chance of holding off Vettel and Kimi.

Mind you, I expect that we will see a lot of furious comments about Bottas's driving after the race - I imagine that there will be hoards of screaming fans furiously calling for Bottas's head and accusing him of trying to take Vettel out (to me, that move, and the collision between Bottas and Ricciardo, both looked like slightly desperate moves from a driver who was trying to fight back with tyres that were too far gone by then). The comments of quite a few fan sites already feel like swimming through a sewage works at the best of times given the abuse and trolling thrown out, but I expect today will feel even worse.

Looking outside of that in an effort to give some competition to those nominations, I would perhaps suggest both Sauber drivers - Leclerc was outqualified by Ericsson and then had to retire on the opening lap after getting tangled up in a fight with the Force India drivers, whilst Ericsson was lucky that his clash with Ricciardo early on didn't end up breaking the suspension on both of their cars and trailed home in just 15th.

On another note, what was going on in the pits with Ferrari? Both Vettel and Kimi had poor stops, and had Bottas not run out of tyres near the end, it may well have cost Vettel 2nd place there. It was also notable that Haas, which employs a similar system to Ferrari, also had a similar problem with sticking wheel nuts, suggesting a possible common design issue there - so Ferrari & Haas pit issues is perhaps another contender.

Vandoorne's luck is another contender too - just when things finally looked up, it suddenly went sour at a time when his confidence must have already taken a knock after a fairly horrendous time in Germany.

Barbazza does have a point about blue flag infringements, and how the stewards did seem to be strangely reluctant to do anything. I believe that, at one point, Sainz Jr was reported as having ignored nine back to back blue flags, but seemingly the stewards didn't even bother looking at an offence that normally would be an instant penalty.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:.
2. Martin Brundle - Possibly his worst ever performance in the commentary booth, getting glee out of Ferrari having slow pitstops, and then being the only person in the known universe who thought Vettel was at fault for the Bottas incident. Just retire mate. :facepalm:

That doesn't include the hordes of Hamilton fans who were hoping Seb would get a puncture?

HM's
Force India: A messy weekend on and off the track. There's the whole administration issue off the track while on it the cars were awfully slow with a double elimination in Q1 and getting nowhere near the points on Sunday

Stoffel Vandoorne's gearbox: A sad way for Stoffel to go unrewarded after his best race since Baku. Clearly showing there was something fundamentally wrong with his car in Germany

Sauber: After a sizeable upturn in performance this was a weekend that clearly didn't suit their car. Leclerc with a rare Q1 elimination and both drivers made contact at the start which must have broken Leclerc's suspension. Thereafter Ericsson was only ahead of the lamentable Williams's in 15th

3rd: Martin Brundle: Jeez what a shocking performance but not surprising anymore. Seemed very happy Ferrari had poor stops and flip flopped more than an Arsenal fan on that Vettel and Bottas incident. One minute he says Seb had the corner, the next he says it was Seb's fault. I know he's so far up Hamilton's backside like everyone at Sky but come on at least try and pretend your not.

2nd: Ferrari Pitstops: Today we all saw a perfect demonstration of just how important the fine margins of F1 are. Thanks to the traffic it was borderline that Seb might get ahead of Bottas or not but that pitsop pretty much cemented Hamilton his victory. I'm not saying Seb would have 100% passed Lewis had he got in front of Bottas but Lewis would have had to work for it a little bit more. Add to that Raikkonen had a poor first stop as well with the left rear and it was a shoddy day for the Scuderia pitcrew

1st: Valterri Bottas: There's plenty of moments where we've been gutted for Bottas this season but this race is not one of them. He did an excellent job until his accident with Vettel but he was foolish to try that move and was lucky not to take both cars out. Seb had the corner and Bottas would have been better off conceding. The Ricciardo move was just brainless and my first though was "that's a man who's lost his head". He tops it off by apparently refusing to give the place up judging by that defence on the last lap. And now Toto's completed his misery by calling him a wingman, Ouch.
Last edited by Alextrax52 on 29 Jul 2018, 19:37, edited 2 times in total.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

1st: Ferrari: sounds weird to fault a team that finished 2nd and 3rd, but never looked like a team that is supposed to be going for race and championship wins, and looked a bit silly in the pits with both cars

2nd: Lady luck: robbed us of an interesting race with Verstappen, and then thwarted Vandoorne who was on course for a really good result.

Hon mention: Mercedes Customers: Have an engine that is the same as the one that won the race, yet Both FI and Williams had both their cars in the last 5 finishers
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Valtteri Bottas is an easy choice for my nomination, for not just one but two crashes.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Bottas for his two collisions that were wholly unnecessary, and his reluctance to hand the position back to Ricciardo.

My second nomination is the Stewards for not reacting to drivers ignoring blue flags. If you are being lapped you get three blue flags to let the car past. Vettel had to follow the car he needed to lap for nearly a dozen flags before he was allowed past.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

May I put my voice out as the only one sympathetic to Bottas here? In both incidents his tyres clearly locked up, and were racing incidents imo. The second incident was a lot more dodgy, but I certainly don't think he was outright to blame for either of them. I certainly didn't think he deserved a penalty for having destroyed tyres.

But yeah, my nominations would be for Stoffel Vandoorne's luck, because he was actually showing some decent pace to get some points for once. He really needed that, and certainly didn't need a broken car at this point in the season.

May I also recommend some personal things that really irked me. First of all, crappy sound effects. Nooooooooo! Sound effects when the lights are going up at the start? :mrgreen: Sound effects when counting the pitstop time? :mrgreen: The last thing Formula 1 needs is to be more like Formula E with the sound effects. They sound just dreadful, and yeah, it just sounded like Mario Kart.

Also, the decision to launch a virtual safety car when Verstappen had his car completely off the track, off the line, and about 2 metres from the exit. Seriously? Later on in the race (C4 coverage) David Coulthard made a dig at American racing about how they'll put out a full course yellow for the slightest bit of debris on the track. Well how is F1 any different, David? They slowed every car on the track down over the entire Hungaroring course because a car was parked 100% safely at a marshal post? Too me that's simply too far.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I pick the board at turn 11 telling various drivers to "push now". That was what annoyed me the most today.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Psyclepath

Post by Psyclepath »

Sauber has to be my nomination. Both cars involved in incidents on Lap 1. We'll never know what Leclerc might have done, but given Ericsson was closer to the Williams' than to anyone else, it's hard to believe the Sauber was capable of much.

Mercedes, with regret. I can't vote them first as Hamilton did win the race. But to give Hamilton the win, Bottas' strategy was severely compromised, and watching the car becoming barely drivable was really unsatisfying to watch. Also given how long it took the Ferraris to get past Bottas on seriously (grained/shredded/scythed/bathplug dead/worn) tyres, Vettel probably wouldn't have got past Hamilton, and Bottas would most likely have beaten Raikkonen.

HM: Stroll. Not his worst race by any means, but he absolutely shouldn't be in F1.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I pick the board at turn 11 telling various drivers to "push now". That was what annoyed me the most today.

This. It's like, "My team are not telling me to push, but that board is, so I better do what the board says!" And it's not a maternity ward either. And I wonder how many thought they were out for a Sunday drive and needed the reminder!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Bottas- has to be a contender for trying too hard to defend. I didnt think they were big errors, and his tyres were gone, but there arent many other contenders ...

apart from Stoffel's luck - dreadful.

Im not sure we can say the Sauber drivers did anything too wrong - in each case they were pincered at the start and had no real options . But Ericsson's strategy was very questionable
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I pick the board at turn 11 telling various drivers to "push now". That was what annoyed me the most today.

Oh god, yes! Are both that and the silly sound effects new? I don't recall them being present at earlier races.

Is someone on this board clever enough to hack into the FIA software? Imagine how much better it would be to hear a sample of Murray shouting 'GO GO GO!' as the lights went out and to see board messages such as 'Lewis has girly hair', 'Deletraz rools OK' and 'HWNSNBM says "you can push if you like, I couldn't care less"'.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Barbazza wrote:

Oh god, yes! Are both that and the silly sound effects new? I don't recall them being present at earlier races.

Is someone on this board clever enough to hack into the FIA software? Imagine how much better it would be to hear a sample of Murray shouting 'GO GO GO!' as the lights went out and to see board messages such as 'Lewis has girly hair', 'Deletraz rools OK' and 'HWNSNBM says "you can push if you like, I couldn't care less"'.
Maybe they've been around for a few races, but I didn't notice them until yesterday.

It's this kind of creeping stupidity which is putting so many people off. I mean, you have a sign that appears 10 times in a race which has a dumb picture of one of the frontrunners saying "Driver X: Push now!". Who is this appealing to? What is the purpose of this sign? Was it a requirement from the FiA and FOM for the Hungaroring to be an F1-class circuit, that it must have a big sign they can put that up on?

I know I already ranted about this literally yesterday, but even I'm getting put off by the insultingly low-reaching standards of whoever's in charge. Filling the screen with as much guff as possible might put some extra advertising money in your pocket, but it's going to kill F1.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Rob Dylan wrote:I know I already ranted about this literally yesterday, but even I'm getting put off by the insultingly low-reaching standards of whoever's in charge. Filling the screen with as much guff as possible might put some extra advertising money in your pocket, but it's going to kill F1.

Makes you yearn for the days of superimposed 'Bernie says "Don't Drink And Drive"' messages, doesn't it? Yes, nostalgia for 2016, that's how bad it's got.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Rob Dylan wrote:Later on in the race (C4 coverage) David Coulthard made a dig at American racing about how they'll put out a full course yellow for the slightest bit of debris on the track.

I'd like to point out that the IndyCar race on the same day featured zero (0) yellow flags - though probably that was helped by the fact that the only thing that was happening on track was a ton of clean, hard overtakes (and Chilton tipping Sato into a spin on lap 1).
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Sorry for the delay folks, but it's the F1 holidays now so it's fine to be a few days late. Anyway, here's the poll---vote for your Reject of the Race in Hungary, and you have 48 hours. Have fun! :dance:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And in a continuation of the general move towards abstract awards, Luck has won the Reject of the Race at the Hungaroring. Specifically, Stoffel Vandoorne's luck! The guy hasn't had the best of starts to his F1 career since 2017, but he was certainly on pace this weekend past, and it was a shame for his car to break down when he was on track for a season-best drive. So he gets the sympathy award from the GPRejects community. Better luck next time, Stoffel!