Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Hungary

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 05 Aug 2018, 15:17

Daniel Ricciardo
5%
Pierre Gasly
58%
Stoffel Vandoorne
32%
None of those guys
5%

Total votes: 19

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Hungary

Post by Londoner »

1. Pierre Gasly - Who'd have thought he'd have two Formula B wins already this season?

2. Stoffel Vandoorne - Was having a great afternoon, shame the gearbox failed.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Hungary

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Pierre Gasly
2. Stoffel Vandoorne
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Gasly- a genuinely surprising drive, after a number of mediocre performances from Toro Rosso
2. Vandoorne- See above (only with Mclaren), had he finished...
HM:
Hartley- An impressive drive in wet qualifying to line up 7th.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:1. Pierre Gasly
2. Stoffel Vandoorne

Yes, it does feel as if it is a pretty easy nomination here...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Gasly: didn't see much of him, but a good job.

Hon. mention: Riccardo, pulled of some overtakes on the least overtaking friendly track
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Pretty easy choices here. Gasly and Vandoorne were comfortably the 2 who caught my eye. Vandoorne deserved points and encouragingly was keeping Alonso honest while Gasly managed to comfortably win the midfield battle and even more impressively was unlapped
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I would have nominated McLaren if Vandoorne's car hadn't failed... So Pierre Gasly gets my nomination.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Pierre Gasly is the obvious choice here, with yet another strong performance from the Frenchman. Daniel Ricciardo made up for a weak qualifying with a solid race performance, despite the mix-up with Bottas.

Honourable Mention: Stoffel Vandoorne, who I had originally pipped to be considerably slower than Alonso this weekend, but was ultimately let down by his car instead.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

East Londoner wrote:1. Pierre Gasly - Who'd have thought he'd have two Formula B wins already this season?

I miss the days of Formula C when three teams of varying names would slug it out for supremacy... and Heikki Kovalainen wouldn't always win.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Not too many candidates that stand out other than Pierre Gasly and Stoffel Vandoorne, for the decent pace they showed, taking advantage of the Hungaroring and bringing some unpredicted pace.

May I throw the honourable mention award to Mick Schumacher for his debut win in the Formula 3 this weekend! Good on him, I was actually about to post on the Junior Series thread about whether he would ever make it that far. But he did, so good on him! May it be the first of many.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Lewis Hamilton, for winning Hungary in a Mercedes. Didn't put a foot wrong, and it's not like his teammate was right with him either.
Pierre Gasly, for his class victory in a Toro Rosso. His performances at the team kind of remind me of the two Red Bull drivers; he isn't putting in something IIDOTR-worthy every other race like Leclerc, but he's showing he has the superstar pace in him somewhere.
The dancing marshal line at turn 10 on the cooldown lap.
Martin Brundle; Sky gets nominated for ROTR sometimes, so I want to acknowledge that he commentated really well even for him, even if (as is often the case) I didn't agree with all of his opinions. (I'm always wondering what I'm missing from the other dozens of F1 commentary and analysis teams around the world, but that's another story....)
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Psyclepath

Post by Psyclepath »

I'll be the first to vote for Sebastian Vettel. His tyres lasted impressively long, and ultimately his pace threatened Mercedes enough to ruin Bottas' strategy in order to secure Hamilton the win. This secured Ferrari a double podium.

6 points for Pierre Gasly. Best of the rest.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Gasly , for me , he is the top nomination
How about Kimi - they gave him the sub- optimal strategy and he catches right back up to Vettel ...?

Ricciardo - there was some impressive late braking, but I thought a lot of the pack just let him go.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is up! Get voting for your favourite. There were two main options, and only Ricciardo got more than a single nomination out of everybody else. So I think there might be a two-horse race here. You have 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

For the second time this season after Bahrain, Pierre Gasly wins the Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race in Hungary. He drove another excellent drive to win Formula B, which is a great feat in this season's Toro Rosso chassis. Plus, it was the perfect drive in hindsight, when you consider he's probably the odds-on bet to get the Red Bull seat. The perfect drive!