2018 Belgian Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

2018 Belgian Grand Prix thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138145/norris-gets-mclaren-fp1-outing-at-spa

So F1's back this weekend (yay), and in the wake of Fernando Alonso's retirement sabbatical, a certain British junior driver named Lando Norris is getting a FP1 slot for Spa. Cue silly season rumours...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix thread

Post by dr-baker »

So McLaren will chuck Norris a chance to impress for a seat next year...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

oh and that's radillon actually....
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

WeirdKerr wrote:oh and that's an unfunny meme created and propagated by unfunny people actually....

There, fixed that for you
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

tommykl wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:oh and that's an unfunny meme created and propagated by unfunny people actually....

There, fixed that for you

Can we insta-ban anyone posting WTF1 content on this forum? If any website needs exterminating it's that one. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

East Londoner wrote:Can we insta-ban anyone posting WTF1 content on this forum? If any website needs exterminating it's that one. :facepalm:

A few years ago when WTF1 was a niche site, it was genuinely funny, and even today, some of the articles are still rather good reads, but I guess now that it has blown up, this is inevitably what you'll get.

I know you were being a touch sarcastic in your post, but I wouldn't get rid of WTF1, as it's a site that tries to make light fun out of a sport which some people consider to be a bit dull, uncharismatic and humourless itself, even if WTF1's jokes/memes can often be a bit unoriginal and lazy. But ultimately GPRejects > WTF1, why aren't our viewing figures as high?! :x

EDIT: It's reported that Bottas will take on a new engine/PU components and start at the back, while Hamilton and Vettel also get new engines but it won't affect their grid position (surprise surprise). If Kimi has to change anything, he'll also get a grid drop.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138212/bottas-set-to-start-belgian-gp-at-the-back

Bottas starting from the back. Mercedes upgrading engines, and Red Bull talking about top gains.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

There you go, your ROTR in the shape of Crofty

https://twitter.com/mjs4320/status/1032979444712058880
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Both Racing Points in the top 10 in qualifying. Not bad for a debutant team, especially entering midseason!

EDIT: second row!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Quite the turn-up for Force India given the week they've had! Of course they've always done well on low-downforce tracks and had their best ever result here, but still... Let's just hope they don't throw it away by binning it into each other tomorrow!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That's absolutely likely to be the best qualifying position for a debutant team since Brawn GP! Is Lawrence Stroll the hero F1 needs right now? :vergne:
mario

Post by mario »

Paul Hayes wrote:Quite the turn-up for Force India given the week they've had! Of course they've always done well on low-downforce tracks and had their best ever result here, but still... Let's just hope they don't throw it away by binning it into each other tomorrow!

Especially since, to begin with, it looked like it was all going wrong when the track conditions worsened and they stayed on slicks - had Perez not gotten away with his slide, it might have looked very different.

They've managed to make the most of it today, which should hopefully put them in a decent position for tomorrow - I imagine that both drivers will be under especially strict instructions not to do anything silly tomorrow. Realistically, I expect that, unless something else happens behind them, the two Red Bull's and Kimi will get past them, but it does at least give them a decent chance of staving off the two Haas cars.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Rob Dylan wrote:That's absolutely likely to be the best qualifying position for a debutant team since Brawn GP! Is Lawrence Stroll the hero F1 needs right now? :vergne:

It's not a new team (yet) though it it? So doesn't count. Just a new sponsor, at the moment!

EDIT: Seems I was wrong, Kravitz has just mentioned on the Sky commentary that they are officially a new team... I clearly haven't been paying enough attention!
Last edited by Paul Hayes on 26 Aug 2018, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

More like "Nico Chokenberg", amirite? Looked like he missed his braking point by a million miles. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I don't dislike the guy, but that race made me think that Stoffel Vandoorne's career as a McLaren driver is over. He sat in last for basically the entire race, except for Ricciardo who was 2 laps down. Reject of the Race material almost.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Rob Dylan wrote:I don't dislike the guy, but that race made me think that Stoffel Vandoorne's career as a McLaren driver is over. He sat in last for basically the entire race, except for Ricciardo who was 2 laps down. Reject of the Race material almost.

The commentators were somehow convinced he'll move to Sauber though... But in all honesty i don't see Sauber dumping Ericsson, especially not since he also scares his share of points. So unless Honda wants Stoffel, it's over. Maybe indycars ;)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!