76%
Stoffel Vandoorne (+ McLaren)
No votes

Total votes: 17

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Belgium

Post by Londoner »

1. Nico Hulkenberg - wut r braks?

2. The anti-halo brigade - Seeing the damage on Leclerc's car is making this lot look rather silly indeed.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Belgium

Post by good_Ralf »

Stoffel Vandoorne - Last place in every practice session, last on the grid, last finisher!!!
Nico Hulkenberg/Renault - Sainz was massively off the pace in the race too

DHM: Kimi Raikkonen's luck
Specsavers man who decided to call me just as Max was getting interviewed by Brundle (some might say that was good timing...)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I nominate Nico Hülkenberg for his impersonation of Grosjean in 2012. Stupid to do something like that on the first lap of the race!
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

1. McLaren’s performance all weekend. What a joke.
2. Hulkenberg.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

1. Stoffel Vandoorne - As I posted in the race thread, that was a diabolical weekend. After all the talk of drivers switching teams and having a tonne of seats up for grabs, Vandoorne maybe put in the weakest race of his F1 career. Has he become a dark horse contender for Reject of the Year?
2. The first lap crash - That was really dodgy, I was genuinely scared someone was going to be hurt by that.

Dishonourable mentions:
- Esteban Ocon's future - Great weekend for him and Pérez. It's a shame he might not be on the grid next year....
- Predictable result - other than the first five to ten laps, it was a pretty dull race. An unfortunately predictable race from the front-end; really wish we could have seen an Ocon podium or something.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Renault: Hulkenburg got greedy and it cost Alonso and Leclerc. Sainz was clearly on the wrong tires at the start and it cost him points.

Red Bull: Having Ricciardo plodding along out there achieved nothing, and put unnecessary wear on his engine.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Rob Dylan wrote:- Predictable result - other than the first five to ten laps, it was a pretty dull race. An unfortunately predictable race from the front-end; really wish we could have seen an Ocon podium or something.

I know what you mean, there was still some great racing today but I suppose the battle at the front felt quite familiar. In fact, I get the feeling Lewis and Seb could win all the 8 remaining races between them at this rate. This is the 3rd time in the last 4 races they've finished 1-2 as well, when they only did it once in the first 9 (that was the Australia opener).

To a degree, the unpredictability amongst the big 3 teams has thinned of late. Earlier on this year, most of the races had at least one of the Mercedes/Ferrari no.2s and the Red Bulls joining the scrap for first, but that hasn't really happened as often recently.

It's still nice to have a close title fight between two of the best drivers of their generation (although I'm hardly a huge fan of either) but generally, having someone else in the mix really adds to memorability of it all, especially when it's a midfield car.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Nico Hülkenberg's mistake at the start can directly or indirectly be linked to all of the retirements today, so he's my obvious choice, but Stoffel Vandoorne's trundling along at the back was pretty embarrassing and may well be indicative that he'll have to find a new series to drive in next year.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Nico Hulkenberg - He discovered his inner Grosjean
2. The DRS zone on the Kemmel straight - all it did was make it impossible to defend a place when in clean air, meaning that slower cars had no chance against out-of-place frontrunners, resulting in predictable results and near-unchanged top 4s (see: Bottas finishing 4th)
DHM:
Mclaren - Way off the pace
Renault - Ditto
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:- Predictable result - other than the first five to ten laps, it was a pretty dull race. An unfortunately predictable race from the front-end; really wish we could have seen an Ocon podium or something.

I know what you mean, there was still some great racing today but I suppose the battle at the front felt quite familiar. In fact, I get the feeling Lewis and Seb could win all the 8 remaining races between them at this rate. This is the 3rd time in the last 4 races they've finished 1-2 as well, when they only did it once in the first 9 (that was the Australia opener).

To a degree, the unpredictability amongst the big 3 teams has thinned of late. Earlier on this year, most of the races had at least one of the Mercedes/Ferrari no.2s and the Red Bulls joining the scrap for first, but that hasn't really happened as often recently.

It's still nice to have a close title fight between two of the best drivers of their generation (although I'm hardly a huge fan of either) but generally, having someone else in the mix really adds to memorability of it all, especially when it's a midfield car.

The one circuit where we might see something different is Singapore, where Red Bull might possibly come into play, but even that is now starting to look less likely as Red Bull just can't seem to quite live with Ferrari and Mercedes right now.

Otherwise, I would agree that it does seem rather likely that Vettel and Hamilton are likely to take a clean sweep of the last eight races, and given that Ferrari do seem to have a definite edge over Mercedes, it could well be that we end up seeing most of those playing out with Vettel winning and Hamilton coming in second place, with either Kimi or Bottas trailing behind in a somewhat distant 3rd place (occasionally interrupted by one of the Red Bull drivers).

As to this race, I think that it looks like Hulkenberg has his name on the award this time around - he's admitted it was entirely his fault, and it was a pretty clumsy result for somebody of his experience and ability.

It is true that McLaren were execrable, and Vandoorne in particular had a wretched weekend - mind you, he was plagued with reliability issues in practise and, with signs that McLaren are losing patience with him, he must be in a very uncomfortable position and I wouldn't be surprised if his motivation is increasingly low.

Meanwhile, it is perhaps something of a sad indictment of the team that McLaren's poor form isn't considered to be abnormal - especially since the team has pretty much abandoned development of this car in favour of a clean sheet for 2019.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

My gut feelings were Hulkenberg and the DRS zone makes passes far too easy, as I just expect McLaren and Williams to be propping up the field now. Seems tragic given how they were the two top teams when I first started watching the sport!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

HÜLKE SMASH! - Taking out some of the most interesting names (to me anyway) on the track on turn one, who knows what we missed out on as a result.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Nico Hulkenberg
2. Nico Hulkenberg
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'll throw something in for McLaren as a whole. Slow the whole weekend, for one, but we all expect this by now considering the total lack of development this year. This nomination is because after the first lap accident, they told Vandoorne to pit immediately and put him on the medium tyres, essentially resigning him to being at best half a second per lap slower than everyone else the whole race. One can't help but think that everyone in the team wants him out, and it's only Gil de Ferran stopping him from getting kicked in favour of Norris or Ocon.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Also, and this is a double post, but I'd also like to nominate "That's Raidillon, actually".

It's not funny, it was never funny, it will never be funny. It got old instantly, it was forced onto the F1 world in a painfully unfunny video in a manner that makes it obvious that it was designed to go viral. It's being purveyed by a website that became 'important' by repeatedly saying "MALDONADO'S FAULT" and hiring an über-casual best-known for shouting while playing an F1 game. And somehow, this repository of extremely mediocre content has managed to gain credibility among the journalistic establishment, despite showing virtually zero interest in taking the series seriously, or even the least bit of evidence that they have any idea about the history of F1 beyond the stuff that's been put in recent movies.

Seriously, WTF1. Please get on an economy-class flight to the Sonoran Desert and enjoy a prickly but passionate tryst with a Saguaro cactus.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I hate to look to form some kind of ivory tower group-think by agreeing with you, but I do agree with you.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I agree that "That's Raidillon actually" should be nominated, but I even though I understand the annoyance towards WTF1, I wouldn't want this site to form an anti-WTF1 brigade, not that I'm accusing any of you of starting that.

Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

I will also nominate "That's Raidillon, actually".
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Stoffel Vandoorne: Yes McLaren as a whole were utterly woeful but like Williams I expect that from them now given their Q1 eliminations are becoming more frequent. However wasn't Stoffel the slowest in every session prior to finishing last in the race? In this time of driver rumours swirling like a maelstrom through the paddock this wasn't what Stoffel needed after seemingly turning the corner in Hungary

The Raidillon talk: I don't get caught up in social media crazes such as "The floor is..." because they all die pretty quickly but the Raidillon thing got very tedious. Who cares what the corner is called seriously? Just be thankful that it's part of one of the greatest Motorsport tracks god gave to us

Nico Hulkenberg: What are brakes?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I didn't even know the Raidillon thing was a meme. I had noticed an increase in people correcting it though, to the point where I began to wonder if it's really a misconception or if most people don't actually care seeing as it's only a difference of a few dozen metres of track length. And rightly so, it isn't even interesting enough for the misconceptions thread.

Anyway, I'd like to put five quid on Renault please.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is up! Sorry for the delay; I realised I needed this posted before Monza. So here you go, you have 48 hours :dance:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So the results are in, and by far the most popular candidate for Reject of the Race comes to Nico Hülkenberg! His braking on the first corner left something to be desired, and his high-speed shunt meant that the halo had to come in to prevent a nasty accident to Charles Leclerc. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but his shunt took himself and many others out of the race, and he deserves an award for that.