2018 Singapore Grand Prix Thread!!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
WaffleCat

2018 Singapore Grand Prix Thread!!

Post by WaffleCat »

Since I'm the local boy here and it's already Friday, I think it's alright that I start off the Singapore Grand Prix Thread with some fun facts:

-- Apart from turns 9 to 13, the whole track lies on reclaimed land. So if the track sinks and becomes the Sink-apore Grand Prix (ba dum tss), you know why

-- The run-off at turn 3 consists of a disused bus-stop. Not the biggest fact in the world. Not even fun. Just knowledge that I somehow have. Why, I don't even know.

-- Turn 6 goes underneath a shopping mall, as you may already know. But did you know that, at turn 8, there is a shopping mall, Citylink, underneath the track? Honestly, I'm not surprised. Shopping malls are everywhere nowadays in Singapore. If an MRT station doesn't come with a shopping mall nowadays in Singapore, it's considered a waste of space.

-- Turn 1, Sheares, is named after Benjamin Sheares, the second president of our glorious land. He is also known for introducing techniques in making artificial lady parts for sex-change operations. We don't bring that second part up here.

-- We had an A1GP team once. It didn't go well.

Anyway, with a few hours left to practice, enjoy the race!
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Rob Dylan

Re: 2018 Singapore Grand Prix Thread!!

Post by Rob Dylan »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138689/ricciardo-leads-red-bull-onetwo-in-practice-one

Yay! Let's hope for a little variation for once with even one Red Bull victory before the season's end! Is that too much to ask?

Also, Racing Point in 12th and 15th. I knew that it was beginner's luck that was getting them those results in Spa and Monza :vergne:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

WaffleCat wrote:-- Turn 1, Sheares, is named after Benjamin Sheares, the second president of our glorious land. He is also known for introducing techniques in making artificial lady parts for sex-change operations. We don't bring that second part up here.

Well some members are happy about those things :oops: :oops: :oops:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138689/ricciardo-leads-red-bull-onetwo-in-practice-one

Yay! Let's hope for a little variation for once with even one Red Bull victory before the season's end! Is that too much to ask?

Also, Racing Point in 12th and 15th. I knew that it was beginner's luck that was getting them those results in Spa and Monza :vergne:

I think that Ricciardo might be wanting to point to his victory in Monaco...

Well, it does look as if Verstappen was right up there in qualifying, though whether he can sustain that pace in the race is yet to be seen. That said, from Vettel's point of view qualifying hasn't panned out well - Hamilton seems to have pulled that lap out of absolutely nowhere, whilst having Verstappen ahead of him is not exactly great for Vettel given how Verstappen is likely to drive.

I do wonder what was going on at Ferrari with their preparation on the out lap, as Kimi was going really hard on his out laps when everybody else was taking it much easier. Vettel, too, rather sharply pointed out to the team that everybody else was going for a much slower out lap than they were - considering how many sets of the hyper-softs Ferrari were using in the practise sessions, I am surprised that they seem to have been caught out by that.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Perez putting in a shift today in his quest for another RotR nomination. Taking out the team mate and then driving to Sirotkin.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Sadly, never really caught fire in the way it seemed it might.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Perez ending to the inside wall after his clash would have probably made the race better with the upcoming SC.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Watching the 'play safe' procession at the start , and then seeing the difficulties drivers had in following cars (couldnt get close to lap them - sometimes, despite having pulled out a 100 second advantage over the previous 50 laps ) was all a bit depressing.
Pirelli made the rubber good enough for a one stop, if you looked after it, and then they all decided they couldnt get past people on track if they 2 stopped . So ..they all looked after their tyres , and also couldnt do passing ( apart from complete tyre drop-off cases, and if it was a Williams) . Is that accurate? But it seemed that the mix of aerodynamic effect and tyres which could last if you took it careful, meant ...stalemate and strategy prevails. Although Sebastian did pass Verstappen on lap 1 ..
Those opening laps though - was like in the refuelling days when everyone just waited for a pitstop overtake..
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...