Sergio Pérez
43%
The two people behind WaffleCat at the grandstand
14%

Total votes: 21

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Singapore

Post by Londoner »

1. Sergio Perez - Open and shut ROTR today. Hipchecked his team mate on lap one, bitched on the radio, and then took a massive chop at Sirotkin and came off distinctly second best. :facepalm:

2. Stewards - I know right, how dare other cars try and race for position when Lord Hamilton's around. They should all just pull over to the side and worship at his throne. Please can F1 introduce IndyCar's blue flag system. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
sswishbone

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Singapore

Post by sswishbone »

To keep options open - despite how obvious this Perez's win - I nominate That highlights screen Lewis parked on
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Sergio Perez - It's drives like these which hint as to why he hasn't gotten further than the midfield in his career
Red Bull's win luck - Bridesmaid for the 5th Singapore GP in a row
Ferrari - Their pace ebbed away over the weekend, plus there was another bad strategy call when they put Vettel on the the Ultras. It'll take another Lewis DNF for Sebastian to catch up now
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

An open and shut case it most definitely is, isn't it, Sergio?

Sometimes when you drive Mexicanly, the car is destroyed. This is natural. Chop Chop Carnage Stew all around.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:1. Sergio Perez - Open and shut ROTR today. Hipchecked his team mate on lap one, bitched on the radio, and then took a massive chop at Sirotkin and came off distinctly second best. :facepalm:

2. Stewards - I know right, how dare other cars try and race for position when Lord Hamilton's around. They should all just pull over to the side and worship at his throne. Please can F1 introduce IndyCar's blue flag system. :facepalm:

With regards to the stewards penalty, it looks like the penalty might have also been for holding Verstappen up on that same lap - both Hamilton and Verstappen lost quite a lot of time when trying to get past Grosjean, and it probably didn't help his cause that the other drivers that those two had lapped had made it easier for them when they were coming through to lap them.

I have to agree with the nomination for Perez though - OK, the collision with Ocon was perhaps a bit more excusable given that it was on the outside of a fast corner and Ocon's line was putting him into a wedge between Perez and the wall, so maybe he can be cut a bit of slack there.

Force India's strategy perhaps didn't help either - in retrospect, dropping Perez in behind one of the slowest cars on track when Sirotkin was going to be running deep into the race on those tyres was a bad call. OK, they were trying to defend against Grosjean, but it seems that, if anything, it hurt everybody who got stuck behind Sirotkin in that stint (Grosjean also lost a lot of ground as well).

Even so, Perez really was getting far too hot under the collar there and it felt inevitable that there was going to be some sort of incident between him and Sirotkin. That side swipe into Sirotkin really was stupid - he was lucky to get away with just a bit of floor damage and a drive through, as I think some would have been tempted to give him the black and white flag for that one (I'll admit that I would have been tempted to show that).

The way that Perez was ranting over the radio about Sirotkin's performance seemed to be more out of frustration than anything else too - he might have felt that Sirotkin was parking it on the apex and then bolting, but it looked more like the Williams handled that badly and that was about as fast as he could take it round the corner.

Sirotkin might have made a few bad moves later on as he got more desperate in his defence, but there didn't seem to be anything blameworthy before Perez decided to hit him - he just got too frustrated, and I do agree with good_Ralf that moments like that really do detract from his reputation.

For a second nomination, I think I will go with Haas - Magnussen had a real shocker this weekend, and whilst he did score that fastest lap (which has really screwed the predictions championship up), he had a shocker in qualifying and was nowhere in the race after that.

As for Grosjean, he was having a reasonably good weekend, but I think you have to blame Haas for dropping him back behind Sirotkin - I think that a points finish was on the cards until they made that decision.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Sergio Pérez is an easy choice for this – destroyed Ocon's race and then had another stupid crash with Sirotkin (after spending a long time behind him). This could have been a very good day for Force India, but it all went wrong. :facepalm:
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Besides all the current nominations, I'll chuck a mention in for the Driver of the Day voting public. Max Verstappen? Seriously? All he did was get overtaken once and not crash. Sirotkin or Alonso were far better candidates for this.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

tommykl wrote:Besides all the current nominations, I'll chuck a mention in for the Driver of the Day voting public. Max Verstappen? Seriously? All he did was get overtaken once and not crash. Sirotkin or Alonso were far better candidates for this.

Since when did DOTD become gospel? Everyone knows that the IIDOTR is the award to have :P
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Perez: I missed the Ocon shunt, but Perez just didn't look to be on it today, and allowed his temper to get the better of him. After hearing he took out Ocon too, it made him all but certain for this one.

The track: Really wasn't conducive to entertaining racing, sounded like the Sky commentators were trying to talk it up to keep people interested.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Sergio Perez: is trying his hardest not to stay in RP Force India for next year.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Sérgio Pérez - Yeah, no. That chop on Sirotkin was attempted murder.
2. Driver stewards - Consistency fam.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

East Londoner wrote:1. Sergio Perez - Open and shut ROTR today. Hipchecked his team mate on lap one, bitched on the radio, and then took a massive chop at Sirotkin and came off distinctly second best. :facepalm:

What he said
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 Sergio Perez: That was utterly disgraceful. How he only got a drive through penalty after all that is beyond me

2 The Race itself: The top 6 finishing exactly where they started with no variable strategies due to long lasting tyres? That's not exactly screaming excitement is it. All while the BTCC goes up to 16 different winners in a season

HM's
Ferrari Strategists: That was way too early to switch Sebastian onto the Ultrasofts
Haas: Just as in Monaco they were dire. Magnussen eliminated in Q1 while Grosjean lost a shot at points due to a duff strategy
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Not even thinking anyone/anything else than Perez this time.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Perez is a rather obvious choice for losing his temper and doing a completely unnecessary swipe on Sirotkin. Lap 1 was pretty much 50/50 so I won't judge him for that, even if it had the worst possible outcome.

I do have to wonder what Sirotkin/Williams were thinking, though, especially after the Perez collision. He should've pitted much earlier instead of becoming a public nuisance with his heavy-handed defense maneuvers in a damaged car and numerous flatspots on his tyres. He was very lucky not to force Hartley into the wall.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Perez. I can only imagine the "heated discussions" that are taking place in the RACING POINT Force India meeting tonight.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Perez: Went full De Cesaris.
The weird highlight screen thingy Hamilton parked on: Was that deliberate, and if not, who thought that was a good idea?
DHM:
FOM Graphics: They still haven't got it working properly
The race: Dire.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Sergio Pérez: A peculiarly poor performance from the Mexican. Took off his teammate and almost took off Sirotkin as well.

2) Ferrari: This may well be the moment when they definitively lost both championships. Poor strategy, surprisingly poor pace compared to the Mercedes cars and little to be optimistic about regarding the race today.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I would like to change my vote in the ROTR to Sergio Pérez and to this:

What in the bathplug. Seriously, this is trully ugly. There is zero aesthetics in this. Who thought it was a good idea to give an epilepsy attack to the crowd? Or who ever was watching at home?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

:facepalm: Perez... nuff said

though on a related note
https://gprejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8341

Ratza you jinxed them.... :(
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Perez.

Honourable mention to Ferrari Race Strategy, for bottling it. Again. No wonder Vettel is trying to run the strategy from the driver's seat.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I would say Sergio Perez, but that's way too obvious. Go I'll go by my personal experience at the Grand Prix...

...it has to be those two people behind me in the grandstand. Not because they were a nuisance. Not because they weren't into F1.

No. They are my rejects of the race because they couldn't hold a cup of beer properly. They were holding it with a two finger pinch on the lip of the cup. Beer was spilled all over the ankles of me and my friend.

For their beer handling skills, they are my reject of the race.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

WaffleCat wrote:I would say Sergio Perez, but that's way too obvious. Go I'll go by my personal experience at the Grand Prix...

...it has to be those two people behind me in the grandstand. Not because they were a nuisance. Not because they weren't into F1.

No. They are my rejects of the race because they couldn't hold a cup of beer properly. They were holding it with a two finger pinch on the lip of the cup. Beer was spilled all over the ankles of me and my friend.

For their beer handling skills, they are my reject of the race.

I also want to nominate anybody who holds a cup like that.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Perez..of course.
Vandoorne's qualifying seemed a bit rubbish - but there were a few team mates who were a long way off their compadres - big gaps at Haas, Red Bull, McLaren, Sauber . Hartley's race was uninspiring , but wasnt too bad in quallie
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Personally I think we don't have enough abstract entities named as RotR these days
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Personally I think we don't have enough abstract entities named as RotR these days

Hence my previous post!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mad late myself with this, but at least it's not a double-header.

A week on, let's hope the Singapore Grand Prix is fresh enough in your memory for you to get your votes in for that weekend's Reject of the Race.

You have 48 hours people :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And in a season that has brought us only one repeat Reject of the Race winner, we have yet another new winner from Singapore in Sergio Pérez! I think this one, following the race discussion, was maybe obvious as the prime candidate to win the award. He had not one, but two disastrous collisions, which were certainly not like him. When there is the possibility of the black flag being called on you, you know you're worthy of the Reject of the Race award. Good job Sergio.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!