Stoffel Vandoorne
5%
Toro Rosso
50%

Total votes: 20

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Russia

Post by Londoner »

1. Toro Rosso - A simultaneous double spin, caused by the exact same braking problem, resulting in both cars retiring at the same time. Yeah, that's a wrap for ROTR.

2. Mercedes - Disgusting use of team orders, and the fact that George Russell and Estaban Ocon's careers look pretty much DOA after this year. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Meatwad

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Russia

Post by Meatwad »

My nomination is the stewards for not penalizing Vettel for his dangerous move. Expected but unfortunate – they won't do anything until there's a huge crash... I'm pretty sure if someone from a midfield team had done that, there would have been a penalty.

I won't nominate the team orders – while it's far from the ideal way to win a race, I think any team would have done that in the same situation.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Loving your David Mitchell avatar, Londoner!

Another contender for the award would be Renault. They deliberately stayed in the pits in Q2 knowing that in theory, not going into Q3 should give them a tire advantage for the race. But the yellow teapots both end up finishing outside the points, with their American rivals bagging four. Renault might need another Haas disqualification to stay ahead of them now.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

1. Toro Rosso - the only retirees from the race, and both from problem that was inflicted on the team by itself. I would also add to that the fact that Honda had brought an upgrade for this race, only to then decide that their new C spec engine needed more development time and went back to their older B spec engine - wasn't the whole point of bringing the engine to the circuit meant to be that they could test it in race conditions?

2. The gap between the big three and the rest of the field - as others noted, whilst some are naturally using the way that Verstappen cut through the field to deify him as a racing god, to me it highlights more the gulf between the top three and the rest of the pack and that his car superiority enabled him to just blast through the pack so quickly.

Now, it is probably being compounded by the fact that a lot of the smaller teams have already cut back on development for 2018 - Renault, for example, brought their last update for 2018 in this race - but this race really did just ram that fact home.

Meatwad wrote:My nomination is the stewards for not penalizing Vettel for his dangerous move. Expected but unfortunate – they won't do anything until there's a huge crash... I'm pretty sure if someone from a midfield team had done that, there would have been a penalty.

I won't nominate the team orders – while it's far from the ideal way to win a race, I think any team would have done that in the same situation.

They had let Magnussen get away with a rather late chop across Ocon's path earlier in the race, so they seemed to have signalled early on that they were going to let drivers get away with that sort of behaviour irrespective of whether it was a front runner or a midfielder.

However, I do agree that it feels like it is a matter of time for when, not if, we see somebody being launched into the air with the sort of violence we saw with Webber in Valencia all those years ago, or Alonso when he was launched off the back of Gutierrez's car.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

1. Q2 - what a farce of a session. I'm trying to rejuvenate my interest in this season, and I nearly didn't watch today because of Q2 yesterday. An actual waste of everyone's time for 20 minutes.
2. Toro Rosso - obviously for their double retirement in a very similar way at a very similar time. Reminds me of when both Arrows cars broke down at the same point on the track with the same issue about 20 years ago.

Dishonourable mentions - Team orders - yeah I know they're often necessary, but I can't in good conscience say that the orders were necessary in that situation. Since the summer break it's been nigh-on inevitable that Hamilton will win through that superb Mercedes. It would be nice to see him win it through a supreme overtake or a legendary defensive manoeuvre rather than being gifted a championship even more than he's already getting gifted it.

The race was also pretty dull after the first five or ten laps.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Torro Rosso: Did a combined total of 12 laps in the race, only 2 cars to retire (and mechanical, so can't blame the drivers.)

Renault: Tried the same strategy on both cars, it didn't work on both cars.

Vandoorne & Sirotkin: Barely turned up at all.

Hon. Mention. The fish finder sound effect FOM played for the pitstop timekeeping.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Phil Mickelson, and specifically that last shot at the 16th - swing, plop, and there goes the cup!

Events just south of Paris were far more memorable than anything that happened by the Black Sea, that's for sure...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Brad Keselowski - Led the army off the cliff.

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I think Toro Rosso is the one thing we can all agree on. Everything else will start an argument, but Toro Rosso? No one will argue with that.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Toro Rosso hands down. Replacing the brakes before the race, and then suffering a brake failure during said race
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Toro Rosso: There's not really much new to say about this one. A slam-dunk RoTR.
2. Ferrari: They're quickly reverting back to their indifferent 2016/late 2017 form
DHM:
Mclaren: Anonymous
Renault: Strangely anonymous
The race: Dull as always
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Definitely Toro Rosso. This is embarassing. How much more of this nonsense is Red Bull prepared to put up with? This is a result of there no being no consequences to the actions and / or inactions of Toro Rosso. There is zero pressure on the team to succeed or fail.
I continue to be surprised at how long Red Bull has held on to Toro Rosso and not tried to sell off the team.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

This Could Be You wrote:2. Ferrari: They're quickly reverting back to their indifferent 2016/late 2017 form
DHM:
The race: Dull as always

Have to agree there, Ferrari can't quite seem to keep it together for a whole season, Kimi was a DBTMOTR candidate for much of the race, leaving Vettel to deal with the 2 Mercs.

And the race does deserve a DHM, Verstappen saved the organizers some embarrassment
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Toro Rosso . I still dont understand why the 'pinnacle' of motorsport technology continues to see brake-related issues . It's dangerous and it doesnt make sense for anybody. Somebody should punish teams for getting brakes wrong, and big beefy, well cooled, comfortably adequate brakes should be mandatory . F1 has moved on from the days when suspensions used to fail ( with nasty results) randomly, but on brakes we still see failures.

Vandoorne. I think he's a nice guy and has a lot of talent. but honestly this weekend...
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

My two nominations go for Q2 and Toro Rosso.
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:Definitely Toro Rosso. This is embarassing. How much more of this nonsense is Red Bull prepared to put up with? This is a result of there no being no consequences to the actions and / or inactions of Toro Rosso. There is zero pressure on the team to succeed or fail.
I continue to be surprised at how long Red Bull has held on to Toro Rosso and not tried to sell off the team.

I believe that there had been talk in the past that Red Bull did try to sell the team, but couldn't find a buyer - part of the problem was that, since they've now centralised the design work at their offshoot (Red Bull Technologies), along with most of the production facilities, it would take quite a bit of investment to build Toro Rosso back up into a fully functioning team.

I believe that there has been some investment there more recently, so some parts are being produced there, but not a huge amount. That is also likely to drop now that Red Bull will be turning the 2019 Toro Rosso into their equivalent of Haas's cars - in other words, sharing as much as possible between the parent car and their junior team - which reduces the need for independent design and production facilities even further.
That is, incidentally, why Key seems to have chosen to leave Toro Rosso - Newey has indicated that Key was not at all pleased at the prospect of his role being significantly downgraded by having quite a lot of his design work removed from him.

I suppose the other element is that, in the longer term, if Liberty Media do bring in their cost cap, then Red Bull could redeploy most of their current resources to Toro Rosso fairly easily, and potentially still run that team at a profit as well - in the longer term, Toro Rosso could go from requiring resources into generating profits for the parent organisation.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Toro Rosso
2. Mercedes - not for the team orders themselves (it was a no-brainer in the championship context) but for seemingly not preparing Bottas for the eventuality.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

1.) Toro Rosso - A double DNF because of a known issue you "corrected" pre-race? That's Mclaren levels of inept.

2.) People Nominating Team Orders - Just makes you look like you have no idea how Grand Prix racing (or racing in general really) works.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Reject of the Race poll is up for Russia!

You all seemed to vote for one candidate in particular a lot, so I tried to get the other popular candidates on the list. Hope that's fair!

You have 48 hours, so get voting :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And by a very close margin, Toro Rosso win their first Reject of the Race award for this season in Sochi! In an incident that personally reminded me of when both Arrows drivers blew up at the same place at the same time with the same problem, we had commentators confused for minutes as to whether they had just seen the same incident twice or not! Both Hartley and Gasly had separate but near-identical brake problems, after their team had just fixed their brakes pre-race! To top it off, they were the only two retirements all race. Other than the farcical Q2 session on Saturday, this was easily the classic reject choice in Russia.