Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Russia

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2018, 07:45

Charles Leclerc
53%
Max Verstappen
18%
Valtteri Bottas
24%
None of the Above
6%

Total votes: 17

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Russia

Post by Londoner »

1. Charles Leclerc - Man, I'm hyped for what this chap could do in a top car next year.

2. Valtteri Bottas - The moral victor of this race.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Meatwad

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Russia

Post by Meatwad »

No big surprises here. I guess I'll nominate Max Verstappen – the way he gained positions in the first few laps was very impressive (even with a car far superior to the ones he overtook). And he led a large part of the race having started 19th! :o
mario

Post by mario »

I'll go with the earlier nomination of Leclerc, as not only did he top the midfield battle, he did so by a fairly reasonable margin too (and I believe he was the only driver in the midfield pack to avoid being lapped by the end of the race).

That said, it's kind of hard to find somebody else given that most drivers really ended up more or less where you'd expect them to.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'll second Max Verstappen and Valtteri Bottas for their excellent drives today. Maybe I'm being too front-focussed for this website, but I didn't see enough coverage of the lower-down drivers to notice any exemplary performances rather than perhaps Leclerc's 7th place.

Unfortunately this race lacked any unpredictability that would have knocked off a front-runner or had a big mistake from somebody. No extremely fantastic or terrible performances from anyone other than the three mentioned above.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Verstappen: Drove the wheels off it in the first stint

Leclerc: Another solid performance
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Not much to choose from so I'd like to nominate Lap 1 Turn 2. All the junior races were utter chaos with number of drivers cutting the corner and gaining at least some kind of advantage so I feared there would be similar controversies to be had in the main race of the weekend too.. The big boys showed class however and the first lap was very clean racing (apart from Toro Rossos). Nice one.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I nominate Alessandro Nannini - five matches, five points, not bad for having had his arm stitched back on all those years ago, eh? And it's not just that he's had to re-invent himself as a golfer, he doesn't look a day over 35 either. Looks like he's cracked time travel as well. And trying to put us off the scent by changing his name to Francesco Molinari won't put me off the scent, that's for sure.

Was there a Grand Prix on today or something?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Leclerc: Pretty much entirely for that overtake on Magnussen
2. Verstappen: Credit where it's due, that was an impressive drive to the front, particularly the 10 places gained in three laps.
HM:
Ericsson: Q3!
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Leclerc - duh, right
2. Verstappen - gaining all those places wasn't impressive, but gaining them that quickly was
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Max Verstappen
2. Charles Leclerc
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Leclerc
Verstappen - and he made the tyres last well even after the initial action
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Three major candidates in this weekend's poll. Once again, 48 hours to get your vote in :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And so for the third time this season, Charles Leclerc wins the Russian Infinite Improbability Drive award! Another grand drive that saw him finish best of the rest, and saw him justify a Ferrari drive for next year. If he can carry that pace on to next year, Sebastian has a serious contender on his hands.