McLaren
14%
Sebastian Vettel
18%

Total votes: 22

Bobby Doorknobs

Our Reject of the Race - Japan

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

For newcomers, this is where you make your argument for who put in the best "where did that come from?" performance of the weekend.

I feel like Vettel is going to get lots of nominations, so I will instead put forth a case for the invisible car magnet attached to Charles Leclerc's Sauber, for attracting both Kevin Magnussen's Haas and the other Sauber of Marcus Ericsson, contributing to a needlessly difficult time for Ferrari's next star driver.
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Re: Our Reject of the Race - Japan

Post by tommykl »

I'm going to vote for McLaren, or at least whoever was in charge of communications. They failed to send their tyre preferences to Pirelli resulting in the default allocation, and they also reportedly just forgot to tell Vandoorne that Norris was replacing him in FP1.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I nominate Simtek for getting the threads mixed up :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Rob Dylan wrote:I nominate Simtek for getting the threads mixed up :D

If you read the other thread, you'll see that this was all a bad joke. :deletraz:
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Simtek wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I nominate Simtek for getting the threads mixed up :D

If you read the other thread, you'll see that this was all a bad joke. :deletraz:
I have been bested :cry:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Ferrari's new "Mission WinNow" sponsor - The team couldn't be further from doing that at the moment.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Rzeczpospolita Polska wrote:Of happenings! Poland cannot into space, but can into make winning-cups of Japanese samochod-race for top three pilots who are of fast but cannot into vroomity-crash. But cannot find Hussar wings. Wait... what has of found in bathroom cupboard? These can be winning-cups of many dobry. JAPAN! HAVE WINNING-CUPS FOR YUO! Give to top samochod-pilots!

I'll nominate the trophies. Never in all my life did I think I'd see Lewis Hamilton holding up a seven-league sink plunger after yet another win.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Definitely Seb Vet for me. I was thinking about saying Ferrari as a whole (as there are reasons why they haven't won a championship of any sort in a decade) but his mistakes were worse than Kimi's (and I think Kimi suffered damage from the Verstappen clash), and also blaming Verstappen for the collision at Spoon just took the biscuit.

Also DHM's to the two British powerhouses from the 80s and 90s, McLaren and Williams, but they're for the year overall than this race.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

I want to nominate the security at the race, who very rudely wouldn't let me sit in one of the cars and dragged me out just before the race started, all I wanted was to see what it was like to sit in the car its not like I was going to drive it or anything and no one can prove that.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I nominate Kevin Magnussen for a clumsy (and rather dangerous) move that ruined his race. At least Vettel had a decent comeback in spite of yet another silly crash...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Vettel. Did someone tell him Red Bull were now a satellite team and Max would jump out of his way? Ferrari are in a state. Watch this space.
HM: current technology for making even Suzuka seem dull.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Vettel. If he keeps this up, ROTY could be beckoning
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tommykl wrote:I'm going to vote for McLaren, or at least whoever was in charge of communications. They failed to send their tyre preferences to Pirelli resulting in the default allocation, and they also reportedly just forgot to tell Vandoorne that Norris was replacing him in FP1.

I second this nomination on the basis that it's all sorts of bad
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. McLaren, for forgetting to say what tyre allocation they want.

2. Vettel, for being reckless and taking massive leaps toward losing this championship every time he tries to drive too hard. In August it was his championship to lose, and he is in the process of doing so (a 1-2 finish for Mercedes in Austin seals it for Hamilton).
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

My first nomination goes to McLaren.

At this stage of the season this team somehow has no shortage of finding new ways to piss me off. So, Zak, Mumtalakat et al., if you really want Vandoorne out of the car, why not just tell him to bathplug off and stick Norris in for the rest of the season? At least Red Bull were more direct in having Kvyat shove off. Also, forgetting to submit your tire allocation just reeks of utter incompetence. Just go away and stick to making road cars if you're going to continue being this crap.

My second nomination goes to Vettel. Nice job trying to lose another championship, bud. You've done it.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Williams because I didn't notice they were there all weekend.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

James1978 wrote:Definitely Seb Vet for me. I was thinking about saying Ferrari as a whole (as there are reasons why they haven't won a championship of any sort in a decade) but his mistakes were worse than Kimi's (and I think Kimi suffered damage from the Verstappen clash), and also blaming Verstappen for the collision at Spoon just took the biscuit.

At this stage Seb & Ferrari are definitely going to make my ROTY podium. Basically since mid-season, any time the team hasn't dropped the ball, Seb's dropped it instead and vice-a-versa.

But for this weekend, I'm going with K-Mag. That belated, dangerous attempt at a defensive move was extra strength dumb.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

K- Mag - not in the same league as Roamin Romain on pace. And stupidly dangerous . I can understand he can't foresee which way the car behind will try to pass, and he may be looking forwards some of the time , so can't check constantly, but surely the the right thing is simply to drive in a straight line when the car behind is definitely going to come alongside ..
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bobby Doorknobs

People might want to rethink their McLaren nominations (or at least withdraw one of their reasons): https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13927 ... ine-claims
#FreeGonzo
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

good_Ralf wrote:Ferrari's new "Mission WinNow" sponsor - The team couldn't be further from doing that at the moment.

If anything that just looks like another variation of the definitely-not-Marlboro logo's they've been running in the past 10 years.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

good_Ralf wrote:Ferrari's new "Mission WinNow" sponsor - The team couldn't be further from doing that at the moment.

Got a point there, it's almost as bad as those "Push now" billboards that FOM put up a few races ago.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is open for this one! I wanted to include the trophies as well as a second wildcard entry, but I chose to be a merciful ruler and respect the votes. You have 48 hours to get your votes in! :dance:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I find the Williams nominations a bit odd. Stroll made Q2, for 2018 standards that's a good weekend for them.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So after a weekend which saw the only prime championship contender outside of Hamilton botch it up for yet another weekend, and a formerly glorious team were on such a bad tyre choice it was believed and rumoured that they had genuinely missed their cut-off point to choose said tyres, our Reject of the Race winner in Japan was Ferrari's ironic new sponsor! Holy moly. I think this one speaks for itself.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I actually looked at the URL, having already thought "wait a minute, maybe it's not Mission Win Now - could it actually be Mission Winnow?" You know, thinking of the process that grain goes through that I've heard of via the Winnowing Hall (i.e. the first level of Hexen). What do you know, I was right - and not just that, Gertrand Bachot was also right to be suspicious: Philip Morris admit it's their creation.

missionwinnow.com wrote:OUR VISION IS
A BETTER FUTURE

We at Philip Morris International are transforming, learning from our past in order to build a better future for the 1.1 billion people who smoke and those around them. This is our vision.

We relentlessly explore and research every option and focus only on the solutions that drive radical change. Like our partner Scuderia Ferrari, we take the best, refine it and make it better. This is Winnowing.

This isn’t about a product or a brand. This is about passion. This is a mission to constantly improve and evolve. And we want to share this journey with you.

THIS IS MISSION WINNOW

This is publicocrap of the worst kind. Shouldn't we have some kind of extra award on top of Reject Of The Race for this?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dinizintheoven wrote:I actually looked at the URL, having already thought "wait a minute, maybe it's not Mission Win Now - could it actually be Mission Winnow?" You know, thinking of the process that grain goes through that I've heard of via the Winnowing Hall (i.e. the first level of Hexen). What do you know, I was right - and not just that, Gertrand Bachot was also right to be suspicious: Philip Morris admit it's their creation.

missionwinnow.com wrote:OUR VISION IS
A BETTER FUTURE

We at Philip Morris International are transforming, learning from our past in order to build a better future for the 1.1 billion people who smoke and those around them. This is our vision.

We relentlessly explore and research every option and focus only on the solutions that drive radical change. Like our partner Scuderia Ferrari, we take the best, refine it and make it better. This is Winnowing.

This isn’t about a product or a brand. This is about passion. This is a mission to constantly improve and evolve. And we want to share this journey with you.

THIS IS MISSION WINNOW

This is publicocrap of the worst kind. Shouldn't we have some kind of extra award on top of Reject Of The Race for this?

They also released this right before the Japanese GP: https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finn ... t/10439197
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

This logo is also an awful attempt at disguising a certain red-white chevron symbol.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.