Surprise Japanese Grand Prix IIDOTR Thread!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 11 Oct 2018, 21:08

Lance Stroll
No votes
Pierre Gasly
27%
Red Bull (+ drivers)
47%
Sergio Pérez
27%

Total votes: 15

Bobby Doorknobs

Surprise Japanese Grand Prix IIDOTR Thread!

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

For newcomers, this is where you nominate the most rejectful performance of the weekend.

For me, there is nothing more rejectful than a Sergio Pérez 7th place. Twenty years ago that would have been worthless, and the sooner he realises that the better.
#FreeGonzo
James1978

Re: Surprise Japanese Grand Prix IIDOTR Thread!

Post by James1978 »

I'll say Red Bull. Would never have expected one to be pressuring Merc despite a 5-second penalty, and Danny Ric beating both Ferraris despite starting well down the grid. Everyone else did about as expected!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

James1978 wrote:I'll say Red Bull. Would never have expected one to be pressuring Merc despite a 5-second penalty, and Danny Ric beating both Ferraris despite starting well down the grid. Everyone else did about as expected!

I'll be a bit more specific and nominate Max Verstappen's car. That RB14 took some serious beating from both Ferraris but was still the third fastest on track today - at times even challenging Bottas' Mercedes.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Gasly would have got my nomination, but as he missed out on the points in the end... I guess I'll have to go with Daniel Ricciardo. Finishing ahead of Räikkönen was surprising, even if a comeback was otherwise inevitable with such a fast car.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Ricciardo. Did well there, hope Renault can give him a worthwhile car next year.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Meatwad wrote:Gasly would have got my nomination, but as he missed out on the points in the end... I guess I'll have to go with Daniel Ricciardo. Finishing ahead of Räikkönen was surprising, even if a comeback was otherwise inevitable with such a fast car.

Well, I'll go with Gasly - they gave him a very strange strategy, and he nearly came away with points . Practice was disrupted and yet his quallie was good - I know it was all about when you were doing your laps, but even so...

And there was Lance Stroll - passing around the outside at 130R on lap 1 on Alonso ---. I was impressed. He really goes for it on lap 1 . Shame he then shifted Alonso off track on the approach to the chicane.
It does seem to be easier now to go around 130R and Blanchimont on the outside of someone ( with all the new downforce and wider cars) but even so ..
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is up. Not many nominations this weekend (I know, I'm guilty of that too!) but it's been a few days now, so let's open up the poll. You have 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

In a race where Ferrari floundered, we actually saw great pace from Red Bull, in both the car's pace, and the pace of its drivers. Verstappen was genuinely competing against the Mercedes drivers regardless of his penalty, and Ricciardo - who appears to be off his teammate's pace on most occasions since the summer break - was also very close to the rostrum by the final lap. Therefore they win the Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race, Red Bull and their drivers together. Though Daniel Ricciardo has won the award twice this year already, this is the first time the team or Verstappen has done so.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!