2018 United Statesian Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bobby Doorknobs

2018 United Statesian Grand Prix

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

FP1's over; it rained; Hamilton's looking like he'll win the championship this weekend; Gelael's bringing the KFC money back to Toro Rosso, but more importantly...

There is currently a three-way tie for seventh in the championship between Racing Point's new signing Sergio Pérez, Kevin Magnussen of Haas, and Nico Huelkenberg of Renault. Renault have been falling back in recent races and Magnussen has also not had an easy time scoring points so can Sergio come away from Austin and take the coveted seventh place ahead of his home Grand Prix? We'll find out in about 48 hours!
#FreeGonzo
mario

Re: 2018 United Statesian Grand Prix

Post by mario »

Well, it's another race and another case of things going from bad to worse at Ferrari - it has now been confirmed that, after being found guilty of speeding in a red flag zone, Vettel has been hit with a three place grid penalty. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... i/3198159/

I mean, at this rate it almost feels as if Vettel and Ferrari are actively trying to lose the championship - everything seems to have fallen apart ever since the Belgian GP.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Given all the above, I can see why Simtek's made the posts for the last three races already. After this weekend, those last three will be forgotten more quickly than that bloke who I've forgotten who raced for that team whose name I can't remember - so much so that those posts won't even exist otherwise.

The Nottingham Beer Festival has shipped in ten beers from the USA. As in, ten empty wooden casks were sent to Maine, ten local breweries filled one of them each, and then they were shipped back to the UK. It was an expensive job, so they've been selling at twice the price of the regular beers. All of them were matured in (possibly not quite empty) spirit barrels (six of them were bourbon for maximum 'Murican-ness), and I thought I'd sample Hidden Cove's 8.5% Imperial Porter, one of the bourbon cask beers - and yes, I could definitely taste it. Yeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaw!

I am telling you this because it's more interesting than anything that's likely to happen after Sunday's race, and, likely as not, during it.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Come on, Austin's usually a good race! Don't let the championship bring you down, especially when the LMP2 battle is looking so dramatic.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Oh Vettel :(
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Henrique wrote:Oh Vettel :(

I was just about to post: Is it too early to call this one on lap 1? :deletraz:

But on the other hand COME ON RAIKKONEN MY SON
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Samster

Post by Samster »

FFS as bad as F1 is at the moment, Virtual SC is probably the worst thing about it, thats another race ruined by it. Why when the advantage of pitting under VSC is so great to the point it breaks races would you not pit under VSC? Thanks Ferrari, not content with Vettel pissing away the championship, you've just pissed away a possible Kimi win. :facepalm: :facepalm: Coupled with fresh tires for Lewis we have gone from Kimi having a two second advantage to essentially being a whole pitstop behind within half a dozen laps. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Please please please can we ban pitting under VSC or something, it is so broken that I tune out of a race whenever it happens as I know how it will play out.
Bobby Doorknobs

Samster wrote:FFS as bad as F1 is at the moment, Virtual SC is probably the worst thing about it, thats another race ruined by it. Why when the advantage of pitting under VSC is so great to the point it breaks races would you not pit under VSC? Thanks Ferrari, not content with Vettel pissing away the championship, you've just pissed away a possible Kimi win. :facepalm: :facepalm: Coupled with fresh tires for Lewis we have gone from Kimi having a two second advantage to essentially being a whole pitstop behind within half a dozen laps. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Please please please can we ban pitting under VSC or something, it is so broken that I tune out of a race whenever it happens as I know how it will play out.

Raikkonen's on much fresher tyres, is steadily eating into Hamilton's lead, and it's not even certain whether the Mercedes can go the distance; I'd hardly call the result now.
#FreeGonzo
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Come on Verstappen, if there's ever a good time for a bone-headed blocking move this is it...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bobby Doorknobs

Nuppiz wrote:Come on Verstappen, if there's ever a good time for a bone-headed blocking move this is it...

Not necessary, looks like!
#FreeGonzo
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I'm not a serious person
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

By default, this is the best race of the season since Spielberg :P :dance:

Even if the title race is still as good as dead, Kimi winning leaves me pleased to no end.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I want to repeat my cynicism and say that he should have been winning three bloody years ago in that car, but, though it chokes me to say it

Good job Kimi. You earned it :oops:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:
Samster wrote:FFS as bad as F1 is at the moment, Virtual SC is probably the worst thing about it, thats another race ruined by it. Why when the advantage of pitting under VSC is so great to the point it breaks races would you not pit under VSC? Thanks Ferrari, not content with Vettel pissing away the championship, you've just pissed away a possible Kimi win. :facepalm: :facepalm: Coupled with fresh tires for Lewis we have gone from Kimi having a two second advantage to essentially being a whole pitstop behind within half a dozen laps. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Raikkonen's on much fresher tyres, is steadily eating into Hamilton's lead, and it's not even certain whether the Mercedes can go the distance; I'd hardly call the result now.

And now, in retrospect, it looks like it was perhaps a mistake for Mercedes to pit Hamilton as soon as they did - unusually, it looked like it was Mercedes that had more problems with rear tyre wear than their rivals. I wonder if that is related to Pirelli's sudden decision to order the teams to change to higher rear tyre pressures between qualifying and the race?

Either way, well, for once it looks like Ferrari pulled off the right strategy with Kimi, plus he was canny enough with the way that he managed the gap there to hold off Verstappen. I kind of have to agree with Rob Dylan that, in some senses, he really should have been pulling out some performances that were more like this over the past few years, but I guess you can't begrudge him finally managing to secure one last victory.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

This is Kimi's 21st win and thus he surpasses Mika Häkkinen (20 wins) as most wins by a Finnish driver.

Mika's last win was 2001 United States and 2018 United States will (most likely) be Kimi's last win.

Superb race.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Rob Dylan wrote:I want to repeat my cynicism and say that he should have been winning three bloody years ago in that car, but, though it chokes me to say it

Well, everyone knows that. You know it, I know it, everyone else here knows it, Kimi knows it. It doesn't really matter now. The old man has his pity win and it's a well earned one.

Also, anyone who thinks of voting for Vettel ahead of the awful Red Bull cowboy race suits as Reject of the Race: you are a blight upon this community, make it an actively worse place and are not welcome here. Go back to Autosport forums.
mario

Post by mario »

Klon wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I want to repeat my cynicism and say that he should have been winning three bloody years ago in that car, but, though it chokes me to say it

Well, everyone knows that. You know it, I know it, everyone else here knows it, Kimi knows it. It doesn't really matter now. The old man has his pity win and it's a well earned one.

Also, anyone who thinks of voting for Vettel ahead of the awful Red Bull cowboy race suits as Reject of the Race: you are a blight upon this community and not welcome here. Go back to Autosport forums.

Now you've said it, I'm almost tempted to do that just for the tongue in cheek value of it...

Seriously, though, you are right that they do look utterly ridiculous - I've seen a few suggest that it makes them look more like Woody out of Toy Story.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'm very pleased Kimi won - he's one of those drivers I didn't like much when he first started, but as his career has lasted for so long I've developed a bit of an affection for him, still ducking it out against the young tykes! Admittedly I was one of those who thought they'd lost it by not pitting under the Virtual Safety Car like Mercedes did, but fair play to them, it all worked out.

Nice to see three different drivers in three different teams battling it out and so close at the end. Let's hope we get a lot more of that next year.

I can't feel to bad for Vettel or Hamilton as the championship is all over bar the maths anyway.

Some nice little bits on the coverage - someone, presumably in the helicopter, making motor racing noises on one of the shots, David Croft on Sky accidentally saying it was Kimi's first win for "113 years", and Kimi casually asking Hamilton "so did you win the championship or not?"
Samster

Post by Samster »

mario wrote:
Simtek wrote:

And now, in retrospect, it looks like it was perhaps a mistake for Mercedes to pit Hamilton as soon as they did - unusually, it looked like it was Mercedes that had more problems with rear tyre wear than their rivals. I wonder if that is related to Pirelli's sudden decision to order the teams to change to higher rear tyre pressures between qualifying and the race?

Either way, well, for once it looks like Ferrari pulled off the right strategy with Kimi, plus he was canny enough with the way that he managed the gap there to hold off Verstappen. I kind of have to agree with Rob Dylan that, in some senses, he really should have been pulling out some performances that were more like this over the past few years, but I guess you can't begrudge him finally managing to secure one last victory.

Yeah thankfully it didn't work out quite as I thought but my opinion on VSC still stands. If Mercedes had pitted Lewis right as soon as Kimi and the others started catching back up at worst he would have come back out ahead of Max and had a much better chance at passing Kimi.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Points for Hartley and Ericsson! GET IN!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... iIu00.html
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Points for Hartley and Ericsson! GET IN!

They stuck to a one stop strategy, and that was the best . And with the DNFs and the DSQs...yep., more points. I really thought Sirotkin might get a point after 1/3 of the race had passed....but then no
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The real heroes of the race :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I really enjoyed that race , despite lap 1 being a bit amateur really. (Although Chopper Magnussen seemed to choose not to get involved, for a change)

But did anyone else think Lance's penalty was a bit harsh? There was a gap..Alonso might not have come across, maybe Alonso should have seen Lance (?). But maybe Alonso was more worried about the car on his left..
Anyway - I wasnt sure how Lance was solely to blame and required a drive-through .

I also thought the TV might have missed some of the dicing in the 7th to 13th positions.

But overall - I really enjoyed it. And after worrying that the crowd looked thin during the drivers parade, it looked like it filled up by race time ( some indications that there were long entry queues which delayed arrival )
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Points for Hartley and Ericsson! GET IN!

YEEESSSS!!! That's solely for Brendon you understand - his best result by default but he deserves a break, and he did outperform Gasly all through that race. Funnily enough I said at the end that 11th wasn't a bad place to be, I just had a feeling there might be some DSQs
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Just saw Brendon's onboard on lap 1 - passing Gasly and Vandoorne(?) on the left with a mega slipstream and then arriving at the 90 degree left hander so fast he ran off the outside for a moment. I'm guessing Vandorne and Gasly werent too happy at finding him steaming up the inside and removing their option to turn in for the corner!

After that - his one stop lap times were good enough to make the one stop work. And one stop was the best strategy . Gasly didnt get the speed from fresh tyres and got stuck behind Vandoorne