Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - US of A

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 28 Oct 2018, 22:04

Kimi Räikkönen
7%
Max Verstappen
7%
Renault
7%
The guy who went "nyoooowww"
79%

Total votes: 14

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - US of A

Post by Londoner »

1. Kimi Raikkonen - Honestly thought Australia 2013 would remain his final race win. The best part is, he didn't luck into this one, he properly earned it. It's almost enough to restore one's faith in F1.

2. Renault - Dominated Formula B this evening.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - US of A

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'm going to say what little life remains in the championship battle. It's still obviously pretty much over, but I don't think anyone expected it to still technically be on after today, especially with Vettel's grid penalty.
#FreeGonzo
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

1. Max Verstappen

2. Kimi Räikkönen
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Kimi Räikkönen will not go gentle into that good night,
Old age (i.e. 39 years) should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, and shout "PERKELE!" against the dying of the light.

Is he the oldest winner since Nigel Mansell at the end of 1994?
Last edited by dinizintheoven on 21 Oct 2018, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

"Oh gee, I wonder who's going to win this week."

Just because I hate a one man race, I'm going to say Max Verstappen. That was one of his best drives I have ever seen.

I mean let's be real here, Kimi's realistically 113 races behind, he should have been on that podium for years.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

I don't care what happened in the race, the sound effect guy on lap 9 was exactly what F1 has needed. For those who missed it: https://youtu.be/8fHAnyz9JTc
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

CarloSpace wrote:I don't care what happened in the race, the sound effect guy on lap 9 was exactly what F1 has needed. For those who missed it: https://youtu.be/8fHAnyz9JTc

I knew I forgot something! I also nominate this guy.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:Kimi Räikkönen will go gentle into that good night,
Old age (i.e. 39 years) should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, and shout "PERKELE!" against the dying of the light.

Is he the oldest winner since Nigel Mansell at the end of 1994?

Yes, that is indeed the case, and it puts him just outside of the top ten oldest ever race winners in F1 as well (I think he is the 11th oldest race winner - as an aside, if he did win in Abu Dhabi, he would then be in the top 10 oldest ever F1 winners as he'd just edge out Reutemann's 1981 Belgian GP victory).

As others have noted, Kimi is probably going to be the runaway winner here so, like You-Gee-Eee-Day, I think that I will go for something different and pick Renault - they've been off the pace for some time, so to top the midfield battle today went against their recent poor run of form.

You-Gee-Eee-Day wrote:
CarloSpace wrote:I don't care what happened in the race, the sound effect guy on lap 9 was exactly what F1 has needed. For those who missed it: https://youtu.be/8fHAnyz9JTc

I knew I forgot something! I also nominate this guy.

You know, I was wondering for a moment whether I was imagining those sounds, before assuming that they must have been picking up stray noises from the crowd (maybe a kid making those noises as the cars went past). I didn't realise that it was one of the sound crew who was making those noises.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

IIDOTR:
1. KIMIWINSWAT
2. Max Verstappen, I guess
HM:
The last 15 or so laps of the race: genuinely entertaining
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I nominate Max Verstappen for finishing second after starting 18th. :shock: Seriously, for all the errors early this season, when he's doing well, he's absolutely amazing!

Honorable mentions to Räikkönen (took what might be his last win in spite of a questionable strategy, breaking a couple of records along the way) and Renault (for easily being best of the rest today).
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Max V no doubt
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Kimi made up a place at the start, was pretty firm and kept the tyres. I was impressed.
But maybe more impressed by Max's tyre management - to last so well, keep up the pace and make his one-stop work.
And then there's Renault - where did that come from ?

Difficult to choose...Hartley also made his one-stop work and wasnt the last of the one-stop runners...(Although his post-race interview indicated he was pretty upset. Hopefully the DSQs cheered him up )
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Verstappen: He's got skills, and the temperament is coming along well, good drive.

Kimi (And Ferrari's strategist too!): Even when it looked wrong, they turned it around and had the last laugh (If Kimi laughs of course)

Renault: Solid stuff, they could be coming good at just the right time.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 Kimi Raikkonen: I thought this day would never come again. The only way I thought it would was if the other 5 cars from the top 6 all retired, but he absolutely earned that win. Superb defence against Hamilton on worn tires in my view contributed to Hamilton having to stop again and he displayed his Iceman Moniker with Verstappen and Hamilton closing him down. There's still life in the old warhorse yet

2 Max Verstappen: You expected him to get to 6th easily such is the 2 tier formula we have now (Or Formula 1.5 as people have dubbed it now). What we didn't expect was for him to reach 2nd. Jumped Bottas on merit and gets bonus marks for giving Hamilton no quarter late on
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Brendon Hartley - eleventh place on pure merit, probably his best drive this year. After the mistakes of others, elevated to ninth place, which I feel is poetic justice.

Stoffel Vandoorne - yeah, I know, I know, but he drove a steady measured race to come as close to points as he has in a while, in a weekend where McLaren were extremely disadvantaged.

The man going "neyoooooow" next to the track microphone - uncanny.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is up! A bit of a delay after the ROTR poll, but here you go.

48 hours, people :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

In one of the most dominant poll victories of the year, the Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race goes to That guy who came up on the international feed going "nyoooooowwwwww". A true hero, and certainly a nice positive incident in a race with a couple of really nice ones! Move aside Kimi, this guy is the real victor.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!