Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Brazil

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 16 Nov 2018, 15:44

Haas
5%
Red Bull (both team and drivers)
14%
Sauber (both team and drivers)
76%
None of the above
5%

Total votes: 21

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Brazil

Post by Londoner »

1. Sauber - Probably their best overall weekend since 2012 maybe? Shame it went awry for Ericsson, but Leclerc was legit on the leader's pace for a while. God I hope he challenges for the title next year, I don't think I can take another Hamilton/Vettel battle.

2. Haas - Bounced back nicely after their Mexico horrorshow.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Pacific Edge

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Brazil

Post by Pacific Edge »

Leclerc: IIDOTW Material?

Hartley: Good strategy in the end, drove well on the mediums to make it work
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Sauber: ^

2. Haas: A much needed double points finish after the last two disastrous and anonymous Grands Prix in USA and Mexico respectively.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Samster

Post by Samster »

Formula 1.5 - Was more like Formula 1.2 this time. Yes they are still powerless to keep Formula 1 cars behind but they went from being 2 laps down at Mexico to their best three remaining on the leap lap with no safety cars to help and Leclerc even kept within pitstop distance for most of the race.

The race itself - First GP in ages that kept my interest all the way through.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

You want an off-the-wall suggestion? Ferrari's pit crew. Not always the sharpest in recent times, but today...

ONE POINT NINE SECONDS.

It takes longer to say "box box, box box box box box" than it does to actually do what the pit crew did in the box box, box box box box box.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Haas: Good turn-around to score some useful points.

2) Sauber: Ericsson's car aside, the team showed a solid turn of pace with Leclerc scoring his seventh place on merit.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Sauber is my pick too – best of the rest all weekend, too bad Ericsson's race was ruined from the start (his weekend had been amazing until then)...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Sauber
2. Haas
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

Meatwad wrote:Sauber is my pick too – best of the rest all weekend, too bad Ericsson's race was ruined from the start (his weekend had been amazing until then)...

As you say, both drivers had been on very strong form - in some ways, it's as if the news of him being dropped has changed something in Ericsson, because in some of the recent races he's actually had fairly decent performance (and, in changeable conditions, he does seem to have had the measure of Leclerc).

I'd agree with that nomination - in fact, Sauber have been doing very well in the most recent races and have not just pulled away from Toro Rosso, they're not that far off Force India (6 points behind, so they might have half a chance of just nipping ahead of Force India).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Leclerc - can't wait to see him in a Ferrari next year
2. Red Bull's race pace - honestly didn't expect it, after all they were lagging quite a lot behind Ferrari and Mercedes last year.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I agree with basically all the nominations so far, and I'll add Max Verstappen. Regardless of his shoving and swearing, the fact he almost won the race regardless shows how on the pace he was all weekend, and really should have won today.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
IceG

Post by IceG »

Verstappen - genuinely in with a chance of winning in a Renault-engine car (also ROTR for crashing while getting there).
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Sauber: Starting 6th and 7th on merit which hasn't been seen since 2012. Shame Ericsson's car wanted to consign itself to the scrapheap by falling apart but Leclerc showed it was no fluke. They've been getting quicker as the year has progressed and if this is a glimpse into 2019 I can't wait to see Raikkonen leading the charge. As a side note I hope Leclerc can give Hamilton and Vettel a real humbling next season

Daniel Ricciardo: Just 5 seconds off winning from 11th on the grid. If only he hadn't had that Grid Penalty
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Sauber - as said they were legitimately 4th best team this weekend
2. Max Verstappen - I didn't believe he would have to win in normal circumstances but he was on the road to do that
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Should we add Lewis to the mix - it seems his engine wasnt on 'full' , he had to keep the tyres ( and did better than Valtteri at that ), and I'm not sure he had a car advantage ( for once) . Still won.
And Red Bull as a team ? They maybe did better than we thought - could run a nice tyre strategy with plenty of grip/downforce/braking/whatever and so despite quallie suggesting there was a gap to Ferrari/Mercedes they turned up for a 3-team fight at the front.

I now sort of expect Charles to be really good.....
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

This one was a bit more difficult to put into specific nominations, so as a result the candidates are all very team-based. For example, it felt strange to put Leclerc, Sauber, and Ericsson all as separate candidates, and so I grouped them together. Likewise Red Bull for example. If you disagree with these options, just make your "none of the above" vote at the bottom. You have 48 hours, so get voting :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1) Sauber - Legit race pace all weekend, finished best of the rest
2) Max Verstappen - Until Ocon trashed his race, he outclassed both Ferraris and Mercs like he was using a more powerful engine :p
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

In something of a feel-good award, this weekend Sauber win Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race! They were arguably at their most competitive this season, with both car and driver seeming at their best. Both qualified well, starting 6th and 7th on the grid, whilst in the race they continued to show good pace and form - although Ericsson tragically encountered the problem of his car falling apart. But the team drove well - and its drivers shared a good part of that increased pace - so Sauber get the award.
Psyclepath

Post by Psyclepath »

10 points: The Red Bull car - Something of a near-miss regarding a great result, but honestly looked like the best car this time around. Been a while since I've thought that. Without Ricciardo's grid penalty, I imagine he'd have at least beaten Raikkonen (possibly Hamilton) and Verstappen threw victory away.

6 points: Brendon Hartley - beat Gasly comprehensively, despite being badly outqualified. I'm anything but convinced Gasly will deliver at Red Bull.

HM: Charles Leclerc. Avoids points because his teammate's bad luck gives him no yardstick, and because 7th is looking like a norm now.