Infinite Improbability Drive of the Year (IIDOTY)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Pacific Edge

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Year (IIDOTY)

Post by Pacific Edge »

Seeing that no-one else is going to start one, I might as well.

So who for you guys over the course of the 2018 F1 season really pulled something special?

My nominations:

Leclerc: Fantastic season, even on it's own merit it would have been considered really good, but factor in Sauber's past few dire seasons, and it really does look something special.

Racing Point Force India: Given all their troubles mid season, including losing all their points, this team deserves a pat on the back, really great effort to pull together and keep focused.

Gasly: Scored 29 of STR's 33 points, and did enough to earn the appreciation of Helmut Marko.

HM: Frederic Vasseur: In less than a year, turned Sauber around and got them back in the mid field, yes there was extra cash from Alfa, but he still needed to use it well.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Year (IIDOTY)

Post by Faustus »

Frederic Vasseur.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

It might be a bit of a dumb choice, but I want to say Marcus Ericsson, simply because as amazing as Charles Leclerc is, the fact that Ericsson was just about able to stay in the same postcode as him, and contribute a decent handful of points was one of the most surprisingly nice things about F1 this year for me.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Charles Leclerc has shown he has what it takes to be the next big name in F1. He has made a mockery of lazy drivers in better cars. He has landed himself a seat in Ferrari. He has been, I would argue, the most consistently effective driver this year. I cannot wait to see Lewis having to deal with him next year.

Secondly, I feel we need to pay special tribute to a man who we may never see again in F1, a man who saw nothing but trials and troubles, but overcame them. They say that the measure of a man's character is how he deals with such ordeals. He was a man who, for one race, reminded us all what it was like to truly enjoy F1. To that end I feel we would be doing a disservice not to at the very least recognize The guy who went NNNEOWWWWwww in the USA GP. :deletraz:
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

You-Gee-Eee-Day wrote:I feel we need to pay special tribute to a man who we may never see again in F1, a man who saw nothing but trials and troubles, but overcame them. They say that the measure of a man's character is how he deals with such ordeals. He was a man who, for one race, reminded us all what it was like to truly enjoy F1. To that end I feel we would be doing a disservice not to at the very least recognize The guy who went NNNEOWWWWwww in the USA GP. :deletraz:

I second, third, and fourth this.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

My nominations would be:

- Charles Leclerc: Has to be first and foremost. Damn, what a good season. He put that Sauber in a great position almost every weekend, and was very cool and fast all season, especially for a debut. I am very glad that he's heading to Ferrari this coming season. Good on him after one of the best performances of the year.
- Force India / Racing Point Force India + its drivers: very good composure in the face of near-disaster. The team almost went under and they kept their pace up all year. In fact, regardless of the points disqualification, they were continuously on pace, and on full points were challenging Renault for 4th place. The drivers and teams kept their motivation and acted as if nothing had even happened.
- Haas: It's so great to see a new team do well. They really did so this year, and took 5th in the championship to boot. A new team, 5th best in their third year, ahead of McLaren and Williams on merit? Good bloody job! Let's hope they can grab a podium in 2019!

Best for me, though, has to be:
- The Silly Season: I was really interested in the driver changes and the transfers going on all year, and it certainly kept up my interest in a season whose championship challenge started to wither. It was good old silly season, with drivers of such calibre as Gutiérrez Gutiérrez and Kubica proclaiming possible drives. The silliest part of the season was that the latter was chosen! 2019 will be a lot fresher I think, and for that I thank a relatively boring season for the prospect of next year.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!