Disabilities in motorsport

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Disabilities in motorsport

Post by dr-baker »

Today, the FIA have met and approved a raft of proposals brought by the Disability and Accessibility Commission at the World Motor Sport Council to make motorsport more inclusive for disabled competitors. (Autosport: https://www.autosport.com/other/news/14 ... -proposals)

Autosport wrote:Among the measures accepted with unanimous support at the meeting in St Petersburg were the introduction of a passport to make it easier for disabled competitors to enter events overseas by clearly outlining how they were able to achieve their licence and specifying their level of function.

A new Certificate of Adaptations for vehicles of disabled drivers has also been introduced to give scrutineers the information they need to assess whether the vehicle meets the required safety standard and to ensure that the modifications do not yield a competitive advantage.

Some disabled drivers that this will potentially affect would include Alex Zanardi, Billy Monger (both with lower limb amputations), Nick Hamilton (brother of F1 world champion Lewis, who has cerebral palsy), and Nathalie McGloin (president of the Disability and Accessibility Commission, and who presented one of the trophies at the 2018 British Grand Prix).

The 2012 Paralympic Games did a fair bit for the perceptions of people with disabilities, particularly in its host country of the UK (the less said about the Tory government and its welfare system, the better...), and I hope this continues with motorsports, one of the very few sports where everyone, regardless of age, gender, or disability compete on an equal footing.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AustralianStig

Re: Disabilities in motorsport

Post by AustralianStig »

I just finished listening to a brilliant interview between Natalie Pinkham and Billy Monger on her podcast called In The Pink - it sounds like Billy worked with the FIA to get many changes put through to allow amputees to race in open-wheeler cars, so would be interesting to know if he had a hand in any of this too.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
dr-baker

Re: Disabilities in motorsport

Post by dr-baker »

AustralianStig wrote:I just finished listening to a brilliant interview between Natalie Pinkham and Billy Monger on her podcast called In The Pink - it sounds like Billy worked with the FIA to get many changes put through to allow amputees to race in open-wheeler cars, so would be interesting to know if he had a hand in any of this too.

Adding to that, I wonder if Robert Kubica qualifies for a role in this too?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA