Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Bahrain

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 08 Apr 2019, 09:29

Charles Leclerc
44%
Kimi Räikkönen
19%
Lando Norris
13%
Lewis Hamilton's luck
25%

Total votes: 16

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Bahrain

Post by Londoner »

1. Charles Leclerc - The moral victor of this race. :cry:

2. Lando Norris - A third of the way towards unrejectification already!

Honourable mention to Lewis Hamilton's luck. Seriously, the amount of situations that have played into his hands since Abu Dhabi 2016 is unbelievable.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
golic_2004

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Bahrain

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Leclerc: First podium for him and the first for a Monegasque driver since Louis Chiron in 1950. This should have been a win.

2. Lando Norris: Splendid drive to 6th

HM: Alex Albon: first points of his career (9th), meaning both Thai drivers in F1 history have scored points.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Leclerc, Norris and Albon showing how bright F1's future looks. Raikkonen finishing 7th was a good effort too
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

What those two said. And it's worth mentioning Alexander Albon, because he's quite likely to fly under the radar this season.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Leclerc aside, a vote defo goes to Norris. While I knew Lando would be promising, he's surpassing my expectations for him so far. Albon too, if you ask me, he's more likely to replace Gasly than Kvyat at Red Bull if the occasion were to arise.

*And to be fair to Hamilton, while his drive/result wasn't improbable, he outperformed his teammate today and had he not got past Vettel, it could've been Seb on the top step in the end. Lewis was lucky once again but he made his own luck more so on this occasion, he didn't just stroll into the winning position as has somewhat been the case in previous seasons. Plus it was nice to see him celebrate with modesty, and with respect and supportive words for Leclerc.*
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I feel very gutted about the result, so I'm not really in the mood to post IIDOTR nominations. A good race but such a depressing result for me :(
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Not wanting to just add to the flood so here's a few other options:

I'd say Raikkonen for putting that Alfa Romeo up where it simply shouldn't otherwise be.

As well as Will Smith for not showing up.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Leclerc would have won if there was any justice. :( So it's an easy nomination for me, honorable mention to Norris.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Lewis Hamilton's sheer god-like luck. If anything propels him to a sixth title it will be this. How many situations have just fallen into his lap now since Rosberg retired? There is nothing more obnoxious in this sport than someone who is both good and lucky.

HMs

Charles Leclerc Asides from a slow first lap, sheer perfection that should have resulted in a dominant win.

Nico Hulkenburg Despite starting 17th should have won Formula 1.5 but because this race was designed to piss me off that too ended in disappointment through no fault of his own.

Carlos Sainz Nearly overtook Verstappen in a McLaren! If only they hadn't collided I wonder if Sainz could have competed with Verstappen all race?

McLaren A massive turnaround since last season. Could be a contender for 4th in the WCC.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Following the crowd

1. charles leclerc Should have won. repeat and Rinse

2. Lando Norris Points in only his second race. good going. (Would had been in the points anyway despite Renault Failing) Also the only car with a Renault Engine to finish!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Charles Leclerc. The one to beat all weekend and during the race.

2) Lando Norris. Strong showing, Mclaren will be happy to have him in their corner this season.

Mentions:

Renault (Saved Leclerc's podium finish :D)

Kimi Raikkonen (Still got the pace to mix it in a competivive midfield)

Alexander Albon (First points for a Thai driver in half a century. Hope he can mix it with the midfield like this more often.)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Mentions:

Renault (Saved Leclerc's podium finish :D)

When I first saw that I wondered if they did that just to annoy their former favourite person of all Time Christian Horner.... :D :D :D
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Psyclepath

Post by Psyclepath »

I nominate Leclerc. Moral victor, he's certainly made a name for himself - even if the results weren't his way.

Hulkenberg. Who, like Leclerc, drove a great race ruined by mechanical failure.

Norris and Albon as well. Both got points. I'd add Russell - he looks good but he's hard to judge - no amount of brilliance could get that Williams out of last right now.

I think we've got an excellent field of drivers this year.
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

Hamilton’s luck - seriously, how can you be so lucky? Looked toothless in the first stint but then gets essentially given the win by a spinning Vettel and Leclerc’s rotten turbo!

Charles Leclerc though, pretty much flawless drive overall and looks a strong contender for the World Championship in the next few years (not that we needed it proven seeing as we already knew it, but still).

HM definitely goes to Lando “Chuck” Norris
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I'll go Charles Leclerc - start was a bit ropey , but at least that meant we could see how good he was at fighting/passing. And then seemed to have very good pace

Also Sainz, really good quallie and initial race pace impressed me
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

As others have said, Leclerc, Norris and Albon were all very impressive. I'll go with McLaren, who were surprisingly good.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Gotta be McLaren. They haven't looked this good in a single race since they were running a Merc hybrid, probably.

I expected nothing less from Leclerc. ;)
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Kimi Raikkonen - I'm amazed he isn't getting more votes honestly. The pressure is off the Kimster, and he can just drive and have fun now, and he is FLYING. Alfa is 4th in the WCC solely do to him, and the pace seems genuine. We even got another classic radio message out of itm
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is up here as well. As usual, four options, and I decided upon Lewis Hamilton's luck in place of Alexander Albon, simply because people seemed a lot more emotional about the former than the latter. I'm sure Albon will shine again this season, and get his rightful place on the poll, but people seemed certainly to feel stronger about this one.

As usual, 48 hours to vote :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

For his heroic efforts in only his second race for Ferrari, Charles Leclerc won the forum's heart for not only getting pole position, but in all sense's winning the race until his disaster a few laps before the end. He showed fantastic pace whilst more experienced and successful drivers had lucklustre performances. Good on the guy, it's just a shame that he didn't win. There's always next time though!