Zandvoort is back!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Henrique

Zandvoort is back!

Post by Henrique »

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.dutch-grand-prix-to-return-at-zandvoort-from-2020.1OTLRqLZB6mXdD1VPyHiNx.html

Formula 1 is coming back to Zandvoort next year. I see a lot of ppl on Facebook complaining that the track is boring and too old-fashioned for F1, but congratulations to the Netherlands for having a F1 grand prix again.
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Zandvoort is back!

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Henrique wrote:https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.dutch-grand-prix-to-return-at-zandvoort-from-2020.1OTLRqLZB6mXdD1VPyHiNx.html

Formula 1 is coming back to Zandvoort next year. I see a lot of ppl on Facebook complaining that the track is boring and too old-fashioned for F1, but congratulations to the Netherlands for having a F1 grand prix again.

The way I see it is if it's replacing Catalunya then there's no real gain or loss in quality of racing. I'm sort of okay with this.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Hey, it's honestly something to look forward to! For variety at the very least.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I don't mind the track, i just really dislike Bernhard Van Oranje (the owner).
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

This wrote:I don't mind the track, i just really dislike Bernhard Van Oranje (the owner).

Is his last name pronounced like orange?
Bobby Doorknobs

Gertrand Bachot wrote:
This wrote:I don't mind the track, i just really dislike Bernhard Van Oranje (the owner).

Never heard of William of Orange? Same family.
#FreeGonzo
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Simtek wrote:
Gertrand Bachot wrote:

Never heard of William of Orange? Same family.

Didn’t cross my mind that they were related.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I kinda see this as a rather easy track to get to as I can fly KLM from an airport 22 miles from my house to Schipol quick train to Amsterdam Centraal then change train to Zandvoort....
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Gertrand Bachot wrote:

Prounounced 'oranye' but yeah he's closely related to the royal dutch family and he owns Zandvoort and is into the real-estate speculation business.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Really think it's gonna be shite in F1 cars. Too narrow, short lap, only one real straight. Hungaroring at best.

And I can't help but interpret: "To meet the wishes of Formula 1 and the required standards of the FIA the circuit and infrastructure will be modernized within a few areas" as meaning that Tarzanbocht and Shievlak (which I'd say in it's current configuration will be taken at a healthy 170mph in an F1 car - with little runoff room) will get butchered.
Bobby Doorknobs

Enforcer wrote:Really think it's gonna be shite in F1 cars. Too narrow, short lap, only one real straight. Hungaroring at best.

And I can't help but interpret: "To meet the wishes of Formula 1 and the required standards of the FIA the circuit and infrastructure will be modernized within a few areas" as meaning that Tarzanbocht and Shievlak (which I'd say in it's current configuration will be taken at a healthy 170mph in an F1 car - with little runoff room) will get butchered.

Based on what Jan Lammers has said, they should be relatively untouched, and the actual changes will look more like this (stolen from Reddit):

Even so, they may get away with Tarzan more or less the way it is, but there's no way Scheivlak will fly with the amount of run-off that's there at the moment.
#FreeGonzo
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

They should at least bring the Tunnel Oost name back to the unnamed T9?

I have little doubt this will be a boring track for modern F1 but Catalunya was riding on my nerves for a while so the loss is truly minimal. And maybe we get more rain in Holland? :D
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
mario

Post by mario »

Vassago wrote:They should at least bring the Tunnel Oost name back to the unnamed T9?

I have little doubt this will be a boring track for modern F1 but Catalunya was riding on my nerves for a while so the loss is truly minimal. And maybe we get more rain in Holland? :D

Well, they have been talking about holding this race in early May, with May 10th being proposed as the date of the first race in 2020. The weather in Zandvoort doesn't seem to be that great in early May - it's likely to be fairly cold (14ºC seems to be the average temperature for May) - so rain might well prove to be a reasonably common occurrence.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I'm glad the modifications to the track won't alter its shape too much. Mexico City isn't the same anymore and don't get me started about Hockenheim.

If having elements of Hungaroring and Donington Park rolled into one provides some surprise winners and exciting racing, it's going to work well. It's probably an upgrade from the tried and tested Circuit de Catalunya, though with that one gone, fans will need to look elsewhere to find out the true pecking order when it comes to the new cars of a new season. Where might that be?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Something just hit me, Niki Lauda was the winner of the 1985 Dutch GP......