Niki Lauda RIP

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Belegur

Niki Lauda RIP

Post by Belegur »

Apparently there are reports that Niki Lauda has passed away.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/niki ... 0/4392728/
Londoner

Re: Niki Lauda RIP

Post by Londoner »

He had been unwell for a while with various lung ailments but still, I never thought this day would come so soon.

Goodbye Niki. I'd like to think he's now about to surprise James Hunt at a bar in the next life.

We're probably reaching the point where we need to cherish the 70s generation while they're still with us. Sir Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti might still be fairly active in the public eye (indeed Mario still drives the IndyCar two-seater regularly) but as we've sadly been reminded today, who knows when that day will come around.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Oh man. No matter how much one can prepare for this, I couldn't help being shocked.
One of my 3 heroes, who got me interested in motorsport and Formula 1. My father had (and has) an undying admiration and respect for Niki that got transferred to me.
I stood next to him a couple of times but was completely over-awed by him and couldn't bring myself to speak to him.

I will never forget Niki.
Last edited by Faustus on 21 May 2019, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

A fearless driver.

I'd have never set foot in a Formula 1 car, or probably even in a racetrack again if that was me in his Nurburgring accident. As well as the fact that he was one of the best in the business, I have a lot of admiration for that as well.

RIP Niki, I hope you and James are enjoying a catch up.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote:A fearless driver.

In every way. Not intimidated by race tracks, famous team bosses or even Boeing.

He really will never be forgotten.
Just For One Day...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

:( Rest in peace
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:He had been unwell for a while with various lung ailments but still, I never thought this day would come so soon.

Goodbye Niki. I'd like to think he's now about to surprise James Hunt at a bar in the next life.

We're probably reaching the point where we need to cherish the 70s generation while they're still with us. Sir Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti might still be fairly active in the public eye (indeed Mario still drives the IndyCar two-seater regularly) but as we've sadly been reminded today, who knows when that day will come around.

That is indeed true - we are fortunate that most of them are still in good health these days, but Lauda's passing is a sad reminder that the veterans from that era are slowly fading away. As many of those who have paid tributes to him have noted, Lauda certainly could look back at his life and say that it was a life that was lived to the full, despite - or perhaps because - of the adversities that he faced along the way.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

What a brave, practical and bitingly funny man he was. When I started watching F1 in 1982 I knew nothing about his previous history so could judge him on his merits and it became clear very quickly what a special talent he was. RIP

(PS I noticed Andrew Benson as ever completely missing the point on the BBC website, claiming that 'Rush' does Niki a disservice by making him and James Hunt out to be fierce rivals and not friends. Erm...has he watched it?!)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

Very sad.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Barbazza wrote:What a brave, practical and bitingly funny man he was. When I started watching F1 in 1982 I knew nothing about his previous history so could judge him on his merits and it became clear very quickly what a special talent he was. RIP

(PS I noticed Andrew Benson as ever completely missing the point on the BBC website, claiming that 'Rush' does Niki a disservice by making him and James Hunt out to be fierce rivals and not friends. Erm...has he watched it?!)

Given that Benson doesn't appear to even watch the races, going by some of the drivel he posts, it wouldn't surprise me.

While the news is not particularly surprising (his health has been taking successive turns for the worse for the last year or so), I am still saddened by the passing of such a great driver. I'm sure he will never be forgotten.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Very sad. The lung transplant, pneumonia etc forewarned us, but very sad to hear.
His story in motor racing and outside is properly remarkable and exceptional. Truly multi talented. I've been lucky enough to see him race and follow his story. Thanks Niki
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

When a guy's persevered through what Lauda has, it's hard to see him go at only 70.
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

Such sad news, was such a fighter but just proves that no one is invincible, it’s been an honour to have you in and around the sport Niki!

RIP Niki
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I need to get a good sample of Niki saying 'this is total bullshit' in that inimitable way of his and make a sound board app out of it.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah, there is something about Niki Lauda and the story of his survival, that it seems almost strange that he would die in any other way than fighting his way out. He must have had a very difficult final year, what with his complications, so part of me empathises and is glad that he has been given peace. He was human, and everyone has to go eventually, even those like Lauda who seem invincible. This is more a ramble than a personal eulogy, but there are few living drivers I respected as much as Niki Lauda. A life lived well, to have that reputation. Rest in peace.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

R.I.P. They just don't make them like that anymore :(