2020 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: 2020 Silly Season Thread

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

The last time a 31 year old Japanese driver went to Super Formula (then Formula Nippon) to F1 it didn't go well...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:The last time a 31 year old Japanese driver went to Super Formula (then Formula Nippon) to F1 it didn't go well...

Yuji Ide?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Enforcer wrote:Is it the 1990s again?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/49957331

31 year old Japanese Super Formula and Super GT champion to test for Torro Rosso. I know he'll never get a race seat, but it's still cool.

We'll see if Jenson Button's hunch was right then:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/button-be ... f1-chance/
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Who's paying for it?
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

dr-baker wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:The last time a 31 year old Japanese driver went to Super Formula (then Formula Nippon) to F1 it didn't go well...

Yuji Ide?

Yeah.

I thought he might have meant Firman, but he wasn't quite that old at the time.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Enforcer wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Yuji Ide?

Yeah.

I thought he might have meant Firman, but he wasn't quite that old at the time.

Nor was Firman Japanese. ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Of course, Andre Lotterer was a Super Formula Nippon driver who ended up in F1 at the age of 32, but he too was not Japanese...
MCard LOLA
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Haven't read these articles, but Autosport suggests the Hulk may be off to DTM. He's German, so some logic to that.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's disappointing, Hülkenberg deserves to be in F1. But so does Vandoorne and every top FE driver. 20 cars sucks.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
IceG

Post by IceG »

An un-silly silly season outcome.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/albo ... 0/4595853/

I think Albon has been spectacular so far and would be being spoken of as a future star/champion if it were not for Leclerc and Verstappen.

Also good to see Gasly and Kvyat retained.
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:An un-silly silly season outcome.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/albo ... 0/4595853/

I think Albon has been spectacular so far and would be being spoken of as a future star/champion if it were not for Leclerc and Verstappen.

Also good to see Gasly and Kvyat retained.

I'd say that Albon has been much more consistent than Gasly was and has done a solid enough job, but I wouldn't say it was a spectacular performance.

He's stayed ahead of the midfield pack, which Gasly didn't always do, but at the same time he has only rarely troubled the other drivers in the top three teams. He's generally qualified last out of the top six drivers, and usually placed last of the top six drivers too - he's in a tough group, but at the same time not really shown the same sort of pace that the other drivers in the teams around him have shown.

Overall, I'd say it's a decent start, but he has to demonstrate that he can continue to build on his current performances and show that he can get amongst the other drivers in the top six on pure pace.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'm somewhere between the two of you. I think Albon's done great, and I'm very happy the seat wasn't wasted on Gasly for the second half of the season. It was much better used in Alexander's hands, and it's crazy just how new he is as well.

But yeah, he hasn't scored a podium yet, and in terms of on-track action I've seen very little of him that's greatly positive. But results are results, and he is consistent where Gasly wasn't. Good on the guy.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Rob Dylan wrote:I'm somewhere between the two of you. I think Albon's done great, and I'm very happy the seat wasn't wasted on Gasly for the second half of the season. It was much better used in Alexander's hands, and it's crazy just how new he is as well.

But yeah, he hasn't scored a podium yet, and in terms of on-track action I've seen very little of him that's greatly positive. But results are results, and he is consistent where Gasly wasn't. Good on the guy.

Would Kvyat of scored a podium in the 2019 Red Bull?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I'm somewhere between the two of you. I think Albon's done great, and I'm very happy the seat wasn't wasted on Gasly for the second half of the season. It was much better used in Alexander's hands, and it's crazy just how new he is as well.

He didn't need a Red Bull to do that 8-)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:It's disappointing, Hülkenberg deserves to be in F1. But so does Vandoorne and every top FE driver. 20 cars sucks.

Yep , I agree - 20 cars on the grid. Empty grid space every grand prix for many years now . F1 is undersubscribed, which isnt healthy . Whilst the 10 teams like keeping down the number of teams sharing the TV money I really feel that having only 20 cars limits the potential to expand that audience. At some level there must be people in F1 who know that adding an American driver, an Indonesian , Chinese etc would greatly increase the interest. And they do exist, but they just can't/won't make it regularly to F1 if it is 20 cars and many of the current drivers having a 10 year F1 career . A lot of the appeal of FE is that they are drivers people are interested in - it's not purely an interest in tiny street tracks and electric motors.
If F1 was home to more of the best drivers..it would diminish FE's attraction..
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Rob Dylan wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:

He didn't need a Red Bull to do that 8-)

It took over 3 years, but Kvyat fans finally have a comeback to "Max Verstappen won his very first race in Kvyat's Red Bull." :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

So, it's offical, Latifi to Williams:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... U0eiF.html
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Salamander wrote:
It took over 3 years, but Kvyat fans finally have a comeback to "Max Verstappen won his very first race in Kvyat's Red Bull." :P

Perhaps the Red Bull is mainly tuned for Verstappen? I know that is probably the case for Red Bull for the last few seasons but perhaps this year's Red Bull is difficult for anyone that doesn't drive like Max to use effectively?
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 02 Dec 2019, 02:27, edited 2 times in total.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Perhaps the Red Bull is mainly tuned for Verstappen. I know that is probably the case for Red Bull for the last few season but perhaps this year's Red Bull is difficult for anyone that doesn't drive like Max to use effectively?

That... wasn't entirely a serious point. Hence the :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Salamander wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Perhaps the Red Bull is mainly tuned for Verstappen. I know that is probably the case for Red Bull for the last few season but perhaps this year's Red Bull is difficult for anyone that doesn't drive like Max to use effectively?

My question still stands :D
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Maybe not specifically tuned to Max, but it does seem to be the case that the RB14 isn't a particularly stable or easy car to drive, making it difficult to predict how exactly the car will respond.

What probably does not help either is that, according to Marko, the most experienced engineers and race mechanics have all been allocated to Max's side of the garage. If you are an inexperienced driver, having the less experienced members of the team working with you to try and sort out the set up is probably compounding any handling issues.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

mario wrote:
Maybe not specifically tuned to Max, but it does seem to be the case that the RB14 isn't a particularly stable or easy car to drive, making it difficult to predict how exactly the car will respond.

What probably does not help either is that, according to Marko, the most experienced engineers and race mechanics have all been allocated to Max's side of the garage. If you are an inexperienced driver, having the less experienced members of the team working with you to try and sort out the set up is probably compounding any handling issues.

While we are on the subject, what makes this year's Toro Rosso (and likely the final Toro Rosso in F1) so competitive? The podiums it got were in very odd circumstances, but it stayed competitive with Renault, Mclaren and Racing Point pretty much all season. (If they had a better Abu Dhabi GP they could have passed Renault for 5th in the constructors, since a 6th place finish should of been doable in that car :D )
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 02 Dec 2019, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
mario

Post by mario »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
mario wrote:

While we are on the subject, what makes this year's Toro Rosso (an likely the final Toro Rosso in F1) so competitive? The podiums it got were in very odd circumstances, but it stayed competitive with Renault, Mclaren and Racing Point pretty much all season. (If they had a better Abu Dhabi GP they could have passed Renault for 5th in the constructors, since a 6th place finish should of been doable in that car :D )

Probably the decision by Red Bull to significantly increase the amount of component sharing between Red Bull and Toro Rosso this year, with Toro Rosso's most recent car now pushing the limits on the number of parts which they can share between the two teams.

They've seen how Ferrari and Haas have profited from such an arrangement, and decided that, if they couldn't beat them, they'd join them. It's also part of the reason why James Key left Toro Rosso in 2018 - Red Bull suggested it was because the role of Technical Director at Toro Rosso was being scaled back because of the increased part sharing, and Key wasn't keen on having his role reduced in scope.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

mario wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:
mario wrote:

While we are on the subject, what makes this year's Toro Rosso (an likely the final Toro Rosso in F1) so competitive? The podiums it got were in very odd circumstances, but it stayed competitive with Renault, Mclaren and Racing Point pretty much all season. (If they had a better Abu Dhabi GP they could have passed Renault for 5th in the constructors, since a 6th place finish should of been doable in that car :D )

Probably the decision by Red Bull to significantly increase the amount of component sharing between Red Bull and Toro Rosso this year, with Toro Rosso's most recent car now pushing the limits on the number of parts which they can share between the two teams.

They've seen how Ferrari and Haas have profited from such an arrangement, and decided that, if they couldn't beat them, they'd join them. It's also part of the reason why James Key left Toro Rosso in 2018 - Red Bull suggested it was because the role of Technical Director at Toro Rosso was being scaled back because of the increased part sharing, and Key wasn't keen on having his role reduced in scope.

Granted such parts sharing doesn't automatically mean success, see Haas in 2019 (or did Ferrari switch its attention to Alfa Romeo for parts sharing and that explains Haas's drop in performance?)

Perhaps Toro Rosso just took the "right" parts from Red Bull, the ones that don't make the car difficult to drive if you aren't Verstappen, or alternatively they used the parts differently to better suit the Toro Rosso's capabilities.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Toro Rosso buys the parts, meaning that it doesn't have to expend resources developing its own for relatively little laptime yield. The STR14 rear end is largely the same as Red Bull's last year, and so it's a proven and reliable set of components. It can then pump that money, time and people into chasing other areas of performance.

It's also helped massively that the drivers (bar a couple of practice offs for Albon) have been able to record a lot more running in practice to cement everything...hmm, I seem to recall reading something about that...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Ataxia wrote:Toro Rosso buys the parts, meaning that it doesn't have to expend resources developing its own for relatively little laptime yield. The STR14 rear end is largely the same as Red Bull's last year, and so it's a proven and reliable set of components. It can then pump that money, time and people into chasing other areas of performance.

It's also helped massively that the drivers (bar a couple of practice offs for Albon) have been able to record a lot more running in practice to cement everything...hmm, I seem to recall reading something about that...

Yet the car is not violating the "no customer cars" rule?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Toro Rosso buys the parts, meaning that it doesn't have to expend resources developing its own for relatively little laptime yield. The STR14 rear end is largely the same as Red Bull's last year, and so it's a proven and reliable set of components. It can then pump that money, time and people into chasing other areas of performance.

Yet the car is not violating the "no customer cars" rule?

No, there's a clearly defined list of parts a team must design itself and parts it can purchase elsewhere. Gearboxes, suspension components and such are things you can buy in.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50690975

OK, there's a good chance most of you won't understand or remember the relevance of this guy but I, for one, am glad this cause of so much fear, anger, hate and suffering is now out of a job.

Merry Christmas,
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50690975

OK, there's a good chance most of you won't understand or remember the relevance of this guy but I, for one, am glad this cause of so much fear, anger, hate and suffering is now out of a job.

Merry Christmas,

I think that there will be those wondering why you consider him to have been such a demon.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
CoopsII wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50690975

Merry Christmas,

I think that there will be those wondering why you consider him to have been such a demon.

There are indeed people wondering!
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

dr-baker wrote:There are indeed people wondering!

Indeed there are. I mean, being a mediocre designer usually does not justify such vitrol.
mario

Post by mario »

Klon wrote:
dr-baker wrote:There are indeed people wondering!

Indeed there are. I mean, being a mediocre designer usually does not justify such vitrol.

Furthermore, there is now a suggestion that he is in the running for taking over from Fry's role at Williams. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ches ... t/4614208/
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Leclerc has signed a new 5 year deal with Ferrari, taking his seat out of the 2021 merry-go-round.
IceG

Post by IceG »

And Kubica as reserve at Alfa Romeo - quite a surprise that...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alfa ... e/4617950/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

IceG wrote:And Kubica as reserve at Alfa Romeo - quite a surprise that...

About the only surprise of this silly season.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Looking forward to an embarassment of Badoer / Fisi proportions when Kimi has a snowboard / tennis / ice cream (delete as applicable) related injury this season.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Barbazza wrote:

Looking forward to an embarassment of Badoer / Fisi proportions when Kimi has a snowboard / tennis / ice cream (delete as applicable) related injury this season.

Throw in a Schumacher almost taking his place for good measure :D
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Barbazza wrote:

Throw in a Schumacher almost taking his place for good measure :D

Ralf Schumacher making an epic(ally awful) comeback when? :P
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Back from hibernation.

So Leclerc in for five bloody seasons. Good shout from Ferrari: other than Verstappen he's easily the best young driver out there, and will quickly jump to the top very soon. As long as they can hold onto him they'll try their best. It's a huge endorsement, let's just hope it pays off for them. But did Ferrari really have any other choice?

And speaking of Schumachers, Autosport reporting that a certain Mick is on the cards for an F1 seat in a vague time in the future.