2021 Budget Cap

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Miguel98

2021 Budget Cap

Post by Miguel98 »

Teams have agreed on a 175M budget cap for the 2021 season.

Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dinizintheoven

Re: 2021 Budget Cap

Post by dinizintheoven »

If I was a cynic, I'd say some of that budget will be used to pay the world's finest accountants to be as creative as possible when crunching the numbers, and do so in a way that makes it damn near impossible to get caught without getting GCHQ involved.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:If I was a cynic, I'd say some of that budget will be used to pay the world's finest accountants to be as creative as possible when crunching the numbers, and do so in a way that makes it damn near impossible to get caught without getting GCHQ involved.

I guess the question will be whether it is that painful a cut for the larger teams when you account for the bits that are excluded from the cap, which are apparently:
  1. The salaries of the three highest paid executives;
  2. Driver salaries;
  3. The first $15 million of power unit costs;
  4. Marketing/hospitality costs;
  5. All race-weekend travel and accommodation costs
The latter, it seems, was taken out of the cost cap given it makes it a lot easier for Liberty Media to then justify expanding the calendar at a later date.

Now, that article on the Motorsport Network suggested that the largest teams are spending about $220-250 million on the bits which are going to be capped. If that is the case, a team towards the lower end of that range might not find it quite so painful to trim their spending back to match the cap - I guess we will wait and see what might happen.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

dinizintheoven wrote:If I was a cynic, I'd say some of that budget will be used to pay the world's finest accountants to be as creative as possible when crunching the numbers, and do so in a way that makes it damn near impossible to get caught without getting GCHQ involved.

I still remember Christian Horner's comment that "it'll be an Accounting World Championship". Obviously he has a reason to oppose cost caps, but he's far from the only one who's expressed that.

But as mario sort of says, it might end up being a small enough reduction that just working with it is better than the risk of getting in trouble with the FIA.... Either way, it's high enough I just feel the big teams will get very slightly hampered, but not enough that anything will actually change. We aren't going to see Racing Point being frontrunners or something.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I guess it all boils down to whether you'd prefer a series where the money is limitless and legal and anything goes, or a cap which at least in principle should bring the grid closer together, even if it does get abused behind the scenes. Personally, in this current climate I believe in the latter. Even if it is ten years or more too late.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rob Dylan wrote:I guess it all boils down to whether you'd prefer a series where the money is limitless and legal and anything goes, or a cap which at least in principle should bring the grid closer together, even if it does get abused behind the scenes. Personally, in this current climate I believe in the latter. Even if it is ten years or more too late.

I agree with this. There'll be some 'abuse' and some complaints, and some doubts . But like when they banned traction control before the compulsory ECU, whilst there may be arguments and uncertainties it will at least start to put on a restriction . Unrestricted is not the way to go.

But just look at the number; I hear big teams saying extra races aren't possible because the team members have so much time away, but the money they spend can fund a whole separate set of personnel so they could rotate. (Different question as to whether more races is a good idea - my point is just how much the big boys have available to spend)
$175m ...compared to 'expensive' F2...and yet excluding drivers , marketing and travel .
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell