2019 Canadian Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix thread

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144064/ferrari-drops-canada-appeal-plan-but-eyes-review

So Ferrari aren't going to appeal the decision for Vettel's penalty, but they are considering some kind of post-race review. The only thing is that a review requires some kind of new evidence to be present that can re-open the incident. I highly doubt Ferrari have that, so I personally predict that this will all fizzle out eventually.

The reason for that is because the regulations explicitly state that a time penalty cannot be appealed against - had Ferrari tried to directly appeal against that penalty, it would have been thrown out immediately as inadmissible.

Asking for a review seems to be Ferrari's way of trying to pressure the FIA into doing something, particularly since it seems that at least one of the stewards from Canada will be participating in the French GP. I do wonder, though, whether this is necessarily a sensible decision by Ferrari - they had a fair amount of public sympathy to begin with, but if they drag this out, only for it to then peter out if they're unable to provide any conclusive evidence, it is likely to start eroding support for their position.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Psyclepath

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix thread

Post by Psyclepath »

mario wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144064/ferrari-drops-canada-appeal-plan-but-eyes-review

So Ferrari aren't going to appeal the decision for Vettel's penalty, but they are considering some kind of post-race review. The only thing is that a review requires some kind of new evidence to be present that can re-open the incident. I highly doubt Ferrari have that, so I personally predict that this will all fizzle out eventually.

The reason for that is because the regulations explicitly state that a time penalty cannot be appealed against - had Ferrari tried to directly appeal against that penalty, it would have been thrown out immediately as inadmissible.

Asking for a review seems to be Ferrari's way of trying to pressure the FIA into doing something, particularly since it seems that at least one of the stewards from Canada will be participating in the French GP. I do wonder, though, whether this is necessarily a sensible decision by Ferrari - they had a fair amount of public sympathy to begin with, but if they drag this out, only for it to then peter out if they're unable to provide any conclusive evidence, it is likely to start eroding support for their position.

Yep, there are chances to bounce back. I hope injustices like this aren't made again.

Also, while I personally believe the penalty to have been unfair (and fumed when it was given!), reversing it would only be a secondary injustice. It would not install a genuine result, because we will never know if Hamilton really could've overtaken Vettel. It was clear he never really tried after the penalty was assigned, there was no reason to.