Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - France

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race candidate!

Poll ended at 04 Jul 2019, 08:08

The bollard
20%
Kimi Räikkönen
7%
Lando Norris + McLaren
73%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 15

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - France

Post by Londoner »

1. McLaren - An encouraging step towards respectability. Easily the best of the Formula B teams, such a shame Lando had a hydraulic leak in the last few laps.

2. Colton Herta - IndyCar's youngest-ever polesitter, and he's putting these great performances in with a terrible team. If he ever gets a Penske or Andretti seat he'll be nigh on untouchable. :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Psyclepath

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - France

Post by Psyclepath »

I vote Lando Norris - For once I agree with Driver of the Day. He could've ran down his teammate were it not for his late-race hydraulic issues - and kudos to him for preserving the car, I really think this man could be a star one day.

HM: McLaren - It was thoroughly satisfying to see two McLarens battling the frontrunners off the start line, and even if they couldn't keep up with the front-runners, they were still best of the rest.

HM: The bollard - got me chuckling, especially as I couldn't initially work out what the strange on-track object was. Got me chuckling in an otherwise dull race.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Lando Norris definitely gets my vote. He drove amazingly all weekend, and he was very close to keeping that seventh place in an ailing car.

Honorable mentions for Räikkönen (amazing drive) and I guess Kubica too (for finally beating Russell, even if it wasn't entirely on merit ;)).
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Lando Norris. Reasons, see above :)
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) McLaren, but especially Lando Norris: A very strong performance, with Norris fighting valiantly against multiple drivers.

2) Kimi Raikkonen: Head and shoulders above his team mate and providing Alfa Romeo with some useful points.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

RAK wrote:2) Kimi Raikkonen: Head and shoulders above his team mate and providing Alfa Romeo with some useful points.

Couldn't agree more. Raikkonen is proving to be the best decision Alfa Romeo has made in years.

Also, Carlos Sainz, strong start, strong finish, bringing home a whopping 8 points.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

McLaren: A solid effort there. Fernando who?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The bollard. Livened up the race, albeit briefly.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Lando Norris
2. Kimi Räikkönen
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'd say McLaren as a whole (completely outshining their works team), followed by The Iceman.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And like with ROTR, we have the IIDOTR poll up. 48 hours, show me what you've got :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

McLaren, with emphasis on Lando Norris wins our Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race at Paul Ricard! To quote the OP, they made an "encouraging step towards respectability", with a result that really started to cement that they are the fourth best team on the grid. At this point, they are the most likely team week-in week-out to take advantage of top teams' problems. Norris especially drove exceptionally, and even in a car that was breaking down, almost finished seventh. And of course an honourable mention to Carlos Sainz for bringing those points home.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!