Changing tyre spec in mid season

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
IceG

Changing tyre spec in mid season

Post by IceG »

Discussed in this https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... s/4483500/ amongst others.

This just does not seem right. All the teams had experience of testing these tyres. There was a specific reason for their introduction and no teams raised concerns at the time.

Now it appears that Mercedes have done a better job at understanding and operating the tyres it is seen as giving them an advantage. Why should they not gain an advantage if they understand the tyres better? Should the tyres be changed just to level the playing field? What sort of precedent would that set? The Braun diffuser was a season winner, and that fact became obvious after just a few races, but the rules were not changed to reduce its benefits.

If there is a reversion to the 2018 specifications and Mercedes continue to dominate and show they are better at using the tyres then what? What if the older specifications suit their car even more?

Does the judgement of the FIA about the 2005 USA Grand Prix set a precedent?

Anyway those are my thoughts on the issue. I am interested in getting other views.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Changing tyre spec in mid season

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FIA did change the rules in the past to encourage competition (Banning tire changes in 2005 to let someone other than M. Schumacher win comes to mind). It is a business, and if people are tuning out because they know who will win they would change the rules to give the other teams a chance to be on the top step.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
mario

Re: Changing tyre spec in mid season

Post by mario »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but the FIA did change the rules in the past to encourage competition (Banning tire changes in 2005 to let someone other than M. Schumacher win comes to mind). It is a business, and if people are tuning out because they know who will win they would change the rules to give the other teams a chance to be on the top step.

The problem, though, is that it sounds as if you have Ferrari and Red Bull throwing an idea at the wall just simply in the hope that it might slow Mercedes down, as they don't know if it will actually work.

As it is, you have a situation where the grid is deadlocked - you have Ferrari, Red Bull and Haas wanting a change, with Toro Rosso and Alfa Romeo being ordered to back them, whilst Mercedes, Renault, Racing Point, Williams and McLaren are all fine with the tyres and don't want them changed. Whichever way you turn, it sounds as if half the grid will complain - not exactly a great situation to be in.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"