Albon at Red Bull from Spa!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Albon at Red Bull from Spa!

Post by Faustus »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14536 ... l-from-spa

Albon not Kvyat, interesting. Red Bull evaluating for 2020, since they already know enough about Kvyat.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Aislabie

Re: Albon at Red Bull from Spa!

Post by Aislabie »

Genuinely very surprised. If one of their Toro Rosso drivers had to be promoted, Kvyat was the obvious choice.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/albo ... ssion=true

Personally I’d give it to Kvyat myself based on experience, but I am happy for Albon. Hopefully Red Bull have made the right choice.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

You know, I was worried at first that Albon would just get chewed up and spat out by F1, without a care for the fact that he is actually a very good driver. I'm very glad to see I might well be proven wrong.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Good for Albon.

I wonder to what extent his much-vaunted "Thai driver" badge has influenced the decision given the origins of Red Bull?

Gasly vs. Kvyat will be an interesting competition.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

I actually burst out laughing when I saw this. While Gasly deserves to be dropped, I am stunned that they went for Albon. Seriously thought that they would promote Kyvat but I suppose they need to see how Albon gets on before they make a final decision for next season. since they have already promoted Kyvat once, they might as well see how Albon gets on.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Blimey! Ruthless Red Bull again!

Still, it worked out well for them last time they made such a move. Good for Albon, be very interesting to see how he does!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

IceG wrote:Good for Albon.

Is it, though? Albon has half a season to come to terms with a car that has been built around a driver who is the best we've seen in many years. Of course Albon might settle in and deliver immediately, but the odds are very much stacked in favour of him being consigned to the dustbin of Red Bull rejects after never really getting a proper chance to show what he has got.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Of the four Red Bull drivers, Kvyat is the only driver other than Verstappen to have been on the podium this year. But Albon is the only driver not to have been in the senior team. The pressure is on as they try to overcome Ferrari in the constructors championship. But I felt that Gasly was gradually getting better as the season went on. He got his best result of the year so far at Silverstone and equalled his third-best result of the year in Hungary, with only his German GP result breaking up his run of points finishes dating back to Spain.

Still, at least they will be able to evaluate all four drivers as evenly as they can by season's end, looking to next season. Good luck to them all.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:

Can't say that I disagree with anything that you wrote.

By the way, happy birthday!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AustralianStig wrote:
IceG wrote:Good for Albon.

Is it, though? Albon has half a season to come to terms with a car that has been built around a driver who is the best we've seen in many years. Of course Albon might settle in and deliver immediately, but the odds are very much stacked in favour of him being consigned to the dustbin of Red Bull rejects after never really getting a proper chance to show what he has got.

It's a lot of pressure on a driver with half a season of experience in Formula 1, who also had no experience of a Formula 1 before the season started.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

What niggles me is that Red Bull seem to have been saying they'd give Gasly time, and giving the impression he was staying in the Red Bull team ( with the implication that they understand he needs time and support) , right up until about last week. And this despite the press circling with their "surely Pierre is under pressure" stories ...
So what happened last week?

I know they didnt specifically say Gasly was staying in the Red Bull, and they can do what they like, but they can't complain too much that they have a reputation for ruthlessness and that they get questioned about their Number 2 driver all the time if they do this sort of thing..
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Naturally, Red Bull/Toro Rosso have data on all three of Kvyat, Albon and Gasly. Clearly, they figured that Albon might represent enough of a step up over Gasly to be a legitimate candidate for next year's seat.

One wonders if Kvyat was offered the chance, but decided to stick with Toro Rosso for stability; having just become a dad, a professional change might have been a bit much for him to deal with.

Definitely delighted to see him move up to the senior squad; I think, having proven himself against Leclerc in GP3 and then Russell and Norris in F2, he's adequately equipped to deal with the situation. Matching Verstappen will be tough, but he should be able to easily eat into the half-second quali advantage Verstappen's enjoyed over Gasly this season so far.

Back in the bad ol' F2 days, I congratulated him at Sochi for the Nissan FE drive. He said "it wasn't quite what I wanted, but it was what I could get."

Less than a year later, he's in a Red Bull. How things change.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dr-baker wrote:Of the four Red Bull drivers, Kvyat is the only driver other than Verstappen to have been on the podium this year. But Albon is the only driver not to have been in the senior team. The pressure is on as they try to overcome Ferrari in the constructors championship. But I felt that Gasly was gradually getting better as the season went on. He got his best result of the year so far at Silverstone and equalled his third-best result of the year in Hungary, with only his German GP result breaking up his run of points finishes dating back to Spain.

Still, at least they will be able to evaluate all four drivers as evenly as they can by season's end, looking to next season. Good luck to them all.

With all due respect (and it is all opinions of course) but I strongly disagree about Gasly improving. He only finished 4th at Silverstone because Verstappen and Vettel hit each other and that result in Hungary saw him finish behind a McLaren on merit which given the gap the top 3 teams have had over the rest for the last 3 seasons should be unthinkable (even if McLaren have improved massively). If it were me I'd have given him a public hurry up after Austria when Verstappen won and lapped him. I know the decision is harsh but with the way Ferrari have thrown points away this season 2nd in the championship is entirely possible for Red Bull and if they want that then they can't have the 2nd car scoring minor points for 6th, 7th or 8th every race so I think it's the right decision. That said I don't think Red Bull have done Gasly any favours by claiming last week they'd stick with him and then making this decision. I fear Gasly could now go the same way as Kvyat did 3 years ago.

As for Albon I do agree on that. Would Kvyat really want to go through that emotional rollercoaster again having settled down to a family life? And yes it will give us all a great reflection of how good Albon really is and I don't think the pressure will be too severe either given it'll be a new car to adapt to.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Come to think of it, is that why Mclaren confirmed their drivers for 2020 so soon? Sainz being signed back to Red Bull may have been an option considering Sainz's success at Mclaren this year, so Mclaren signing him and Norris in for another season before the summer break may be a tactic to dissuade Red Bull from pinching Sainz back by buying out his contract.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I also think that since Kvyat is a known quality, they want to see if Gasly can at least match Kvyat, if not, he'll be out altogether next year.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

After the initial "woah", the first thing that came to my mind was "why not Kvyat". But they've been close enough that fancy stuff we don't have access to could make the difference. Why are Mercedes more interested in Ocon than Pérez?

Or they just want to know how Albon goes since they feel Kvyat isn't quite good enough, but then why would they have brought Kvyat back? And the idea he was the first choice but refused it is intriguing... I can see him not wanting to be there for half a year just to be demoted again.

And, of course, Albon has the argument of potential on his side. If he ends up being close enough to Verstappen that he isn't worth swapping out, he does that as someone who you imagine can only get better.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Come to think of it, is that why Mclaren confirmed their drivers for 2020 so soon? Sainz being signed back to Red Bull may have been an option considering Sainz's success at Mclaren this year, so Mclaren signing him and Norris in for another season before the summer break may be a tactic to dissuade Red Bull from pinching Sainz back by buying out his contract.

It was a bold move by Macca, but executed to near perfection, and it paid off, now Sainz is the best of the rest, but imagine they didn't did that, Gasly* to Macca would've been weird

*no, even if Sainz went to Gasly's seat, Alonso would've not come back to F1
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

I can't help but feel like Red Bull have made a mistake. Not by getting rid of Gasly, god no, the whole world has been screaming at them to do it. I just think they've waited way too long to it. If they had booted Gasly back when they should have (French GP at latest) at least Albon would have had a few races to get his eye in. Now he's being dropped into a seat mid season. I hate to say it but I think Marko's stupid pride isn't done costing the team points just yet. Only 9 races to go in the season and I'm unsure if Albon will have enough time to get to where he needs to be.

It's just baffling that they held on to Gasly for as long as they did. Surely they must have known they were going to have to can him at some point? Every second spent on him since realizing that has been a colossal waste of time, effort and money. :facepalm:

As for Albon vs Kvyat, one could make the same argument, Marko's pride. In that case though I'm not convinced Kvyat has distinguished himself as a better driver. He had one good race no doubt about it, but that's one race. I think either would have been a good choice.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
mario

Post by mario »

You-Gee-Eee-Day wrote:I can't help but feel like Red Bull have made a mistake. Not by getting rid of Gasly, god no, the whole world has been screaming at them to do it. I just think they've waited way too long to it. If they had booted Gasly back when they should have (French GP at latest) at least Albon would have had a few races to get his eye in. Now he's being dropped into a seat mid season. I hate to say it but I think Marko's stupid pride isn't done costing the team points just yet. Only 9 races to go in the season and I'm unsure if Albon will have enough time to get to where he needs to be.

It's just baffling that they held on to Gasly for as long as they did. Surely they must have known they were going to have to can him at some point? Every second spent on him since realizing that has been a colossal waste of time, effort and money. :facepalm:

As for Albon vs Kvyat, one could make the same argument, Marko's pride. In that case though I'm not convinced Kvyat has distinguished himself as a better driver. He had one good race no doubt about it, but that's one race. I think either would have been a good choice.

Whilst I must admit that I have been somewhat sceptical of Gasly's performance from the start, at the same time I do wonder what level of support Gasly was given by Red Bull and how much of his performance at the team may be due to that.

Marko has already confirmed that Gasly had the less experienced crew of engineers at his disposal, and there have been reports indicating that Gasly did not always have access to the latest development parts. For example, I believe Auto Motor und Sport reported that, during the Austrian Grand Prix, when Verstappen crashed during the practise sessions, they did not have enough of the latest development parts to rebuild Verstappen's car to the latest specification - so they simply stripped the necessary parts from Gasly's car and then rebuilt his car back up with older parts.

With that in mind, I do wonder what level of support Albon is going to get and whether being dropped into Gasly's seat might be something of a tall order for him too.

Equally, to play devil's advocate, I can understand why Red Bull might have held off from putting Albon into Gasly's seat for a while. After all, promoting a young and not especially experienced driver in the form of Gasly was part of the reason why they were in their current trouble, and what was to say that rushing Albon into that seat wouldn't just recreate that same problem with a new driver?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"