2021 Car In Windtunnel

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

2021 Car In Windtunnel

Post by Wallio »

F1's instagram released this photo of the prototype 2021 design in the windtunnel. Very Indycar-ish. I don't hate the design, except for those winglets hugging the front tyres. They can bathplug right off

https://imgur.com/a/kU8LIFw
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2021 Car In Windtunnel

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Not bad. Liking it except for the wheel covers.
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:F1's instagram released this photo of the prototype 2021 design in the windtunnel. Very Indycar-ish. I don't hate the design, except for those winglets hugging the front tyres. They can bathplug right off

https://imgur.com/a/kU8LIFw

I believe that the idea of those winglets is that they are meant to control the wake structure that develops behind the front wheels, though I agree that they do seem a bit odd.

For what it is worth, the Top Gear website does have a few more photographs of the test model from inside the wind tunnel. https://www.topgear.com/car-news/motors ... -look-2021

The fact that there have been some commenting about how it has some resemblance to an IndyCar does make me wonder if perhaps that is something more to that than just being a coincidence. Given Liberty Media are eager to break into the US motorsport market, might it be desirable to them for the car to bear a passing resemblance to an IndyCar to help sell it to the US market?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It's a vague bit of everything, isn't it? As someone who's not so bright on the technical side of things, so many different parts of it bear their own resemblances to different recent eras of F1 cars, from the 80s to the present. Only those weird things over the wheels seem to be new and unique. The rest all seems like similar shapes and curves to what I've seen before for years.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Rob Dylan wrote:It's a vague bit of everything, isn't it? As someone who's not so bright on the technical side of things, so many different parts of it bear their own resemblances to different recent eras of F1 cars, from the 80s to the present. Only those weird things over the wheels seem to be new and unique. The rest all seems like similar shapes and curves to what I've seen before for years.

They had them in 2009, and they were horrible.

Edit, 2008 as well.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Pacific 777 wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:It's a vague bit of everything, isn't it? As someone who's not so bright on the technical side of things, so many different parts of it bear their own resemblances to different recent eras of F1 cars, from the 80s to the present. Only those weird things over the wheels seem to be new and unique. The rest all seems like similar shapes and curves to what I've seen before for years.

They had them in 2009, and they were horrible.

Edit, 2008 as well.

The thing over the wheels, not the wheel covers.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

From what I understand from reading Autosport, the 2021 rules are being held back until 2022. And 2021 will see the 2020 rules and cars being used.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Another year of the epically fast conclusion to the 2017 regulation era! Yeah, I'm trying to pretend it's a good thing....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Saw that too. So Whammy 8x WDC, and another 2 Merc WCC then?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Pacific 777 wrote:Saw that too. So Whammy 8x WDC, and another 2 Merc WCC then?

Quite possibly. God willing or God forbid, depending on perspective. Or you could replace God with HWNSNBM as appropriate.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA