The strangely absent 2019 Belgian Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

The strangely absent 2019 Belgian Grand Prix thread

Post by Faustus »

Marcus Ericsson has been recalled by Alfa Romeo to be on standby in his capacity as reserve driver, in the event that Kimi Raikkonen is unable to take part:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14561 ... lfa-at-spa
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The strangely absent 2019 Belgian Grand Prix thread

Post by Faustus »

Our valued forum member Ataxia (aka Jake Boxall-Legge) is on the latest Autosport podcast.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Renault have gone back to their B-Spec engines for the remainder of the weekend.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Now that's a proper old-school engine failure!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Was just going to post the same thing! Holy moly.

The thing that concerned me though watching the coverage, was that Alfa Romeo could win their appeal over the DSQs in Germany, and that would take away Williams' point! This cannot be allowed to happen :shock:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

The Mercedes mechanics are pretty damn good to turn that car around in that time.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I was also going to suggest, what with three drivers taking massive penalties starting at the back, that there was now a really high 2% chance of either Williams driver making it to Q2. Unfortunately not :cry:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Fetzie wrote:The Mercedes mechanics are pretty damn good to turn that car around in that time.

Well, conveniently enough they did get a few extra minutes from Kubica's engine failure...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
mario

Post by mario »

Speaking of engine failures, do we have a clearer answer as to what happened with Giovinazzi's engine? That was one of the new specification engine that Ferrari themselves were planning to use at Monza - I can't imagine the idea of a major engine failure for Ferrari would go down well there...

In fact, quite a few teams were having problems - we had Racing Point's problems in practise, Giovinazzi's engine letting go and Verstappen persistently complaining of problems during practise and in the first qualifying run.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

It's really tragic that with a front row lockout, all I can do is wonder how Ferrari will manage to convert it into 4th place an a DNF.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Enforcer wrote:It's really tragic that with a front row lockout, all I can do is wonder how Ferrari will manage to convert it into 4th place an a DNF.

It illustrates how much of an embarrassing year Ferrari have had with a car that could have and should have won at least once so far this year.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I don't think the race should go ahead following the tragic event this afternoon :(
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

We all get so used to seemingly safe motorsport. What a tragedy.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sunday's F2 sprint race certainly is not going ahead.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Yeah, that's put a cloud over it... and I used the term 'tragic' about something trivial shortly before it happened too. :(

Cannot imagine the Belgian Grand Prix being postponed though. "Show must go on" is very much the line from F1 in these circumstances.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yes, for better or for worse, there's no real right or wrong answer as to what the FiA should do. But I can almost guarantee that the F1 race will go ahead.

Still in shock after hearing this news.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

The race will go ahead, but I would imagine the podium will be more of a solemn affair.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

personally: I feel the race shouldn't go ahead...in fact I think let's cease all discussion on this forum until Tuesday...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

WeirdKerr wrote:personally: I feel the race shouldn't go ahead...in fact I think let's cease all discussion on this forum until Tuesday...

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. I don't think many people on this forum really are into the race now anyway. This forum isn't the casual fanbase.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Spectoremg wrote:We all get so used to seemingly safe motorsport. What a tragedy.

This is a better worded version of what I planned to say.

Regarding what should and shouldn't be run, I don't think there's a right or wrong thing to do... whatever still happens I'll try watching and see if I feel comfortable with it, but I don't see myself getting too excited about anything.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Today we carry on as business as usual. Despite the black shadow cast over the weekend, we know how it works. It's what makes this sport so different than the rest. We know the dangers, even in this high safety era.

For racing drivers, you put the visor on and it's a day like any other despite what happened. For fans, we cheer on harder than ever to make sure we know and respect the dangers the drivers go through every other day when the visor go down and they race full throttle. Today, they'll race for Anthoine Hubert and we'll cheer for Hubert. That's how it goes in motorsport.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I don't think there's been a more fitting race winner than this weekend. That's the tonic we all needed.

Norris broke down on the final lap and lost his chance of unrejectification, but as a result Alexander Albon is unrejectified!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

East Londoner wrote:I don't think there's been a more fitting race winner than this weekend. That's the tonic we all needed.

Norris broke down on the final lap and lost his chance of unrejectification, but as a result Alexander Albon is unrejectified!

Albon's move at the end is under investigation by the stewards because he left the track to do it.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

What a shame that Sky F1's coverage has been as terrible as ever today.

On Max hitting Kimi: "Oh, that's Max's fault"....30 seconds later after seeing replays and realising that they have offended wonderboy and their friend Horner..."Oh, Kimi should have given him more room".

Damon Hill has twice just come out with anti-Ferrari crap (no change there) talking about Vettel "unsubtly" letting Leclerc by first of all (what do you want, wheel banging down the straight?!) and then commenting on the "acrid smell" from Ferrari fans letting flares off. Strange that, since all the flares I saw were orange.....

As for the race itself, delighted for Charles, what a shame he can't celebrate properly after yesterday's events. Gutted for Lando, he deserved 5th place. I think Giovinazzi might have justs thrown away a race seat as well as some decent points.
Firmin

Post by Firmin »

Fetzie wrote:Albon's move at the end is under investigation by the stewards because he left the track to do it.

On formula1.com it is described as Perez being under investigation for forcing Albon off track.

Flying relatively under the radar on his mediums in the beginning, Albon showed his hunger for a good result in the latter half. That were some feisty overtakes!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Honestly, this has been the toughest weekend. I'm so lucky to get to do what I do, but after Saturday I just wanted to go home and spend the evening crying.

But the show must go on. Thankfully, the race was good. Thankfully Leclerc won. And thankfully, everyone has been there for each other in this paddock.

I don't know if I can describe this weekend adequately, but what I can say is this. Anthoine was an absolute standout guy. He was kind, calm and considerate, and always had time for people. Losing anyone is a blow, but especially when they're just one of the nicest people on the planet. I think everyone in Spa today must be commended for getting out of bed this morning and being able to get on and keep the world turning.

Delighted for Charles, for Alex and Pierre too. Their results will mean the world to them.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

*Such* a relief that Leclerc was able to hold on! I can't remember the last time I felt so nervous watching the final lap of a Grand Prix!

Very fitting that he won today, given what's happened, and huge congratulations on Leclerc finally winning his first race after the two that got away earlier this year.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

WeirdKerr wrote:personally: I feel the race shouldn't go ahead...in fact I think let's cease all discussion on this forum until Tuesday...

Get a grip, this is business.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Spectoremg wrote:

Get a grip, this is business.

Someone died... evidently most of us don't agree with WeirdKerr, but it isn't an opinion that deserves a harsh response like that.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in