Kubica's Steering Wheel

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Kubica's Steering Wheel

Post by Wallio »

https://imgur.com/a/ZhLdDob

A few sites have dropped a picture of Kubica's wheel. There have been rumors for awhile that he has been unhappy with it and that Williams has been unable/unwilling to make a wheel he can be comfortable with. I can kind of see why, if the best a modern F1 team can do is just gaffer tape and removing a few right hand buttons. All this for the driver who is actually ahead on points in the team. (Which everyone seems to forget).

Between still refusing to put a modern screen in the wheel (they claim it gives a better steering feel this way, but I have my doubts that Red Bull, Ferrari, Merc, et al wouldn't be doing the same thing if that were true) and now this botch job, it does make you question Williams abilities at the moment I must say.

I do find the one set of paddles interesting, up and downshifts with only the left hand.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Re: Kubica's Steering Wheel

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:https://imgur.com/a/ZhLdDob

A few sites have dropped a picture of Kubica's wheel. There have been rumors for awhile that he has been unhappy with it and that Williams has been unable/unwilling to make a wheel he can be comfortable with. I can kind of see why, if the best a modern F1 team can do is just gaffer tape and removing a few right hand buttons. All this for the driver who is actually ahead on points in the team. (Which everyone seems to forget).

Between still refusing to put a modern screen in the wheel (they claim it gives a better steering feel this way, but I have my doubts that Red Bull, Ferrari, Merc, et al wouldn't be doing the same thing if that were true) and now this botch job, it does make you question Williams abilities at the moment I must say.

I do find the one set of paddles interesting, up and downshifts with only the left hand.

He might be ahead on points, but that is the only area where Kubica is ahead - by any other metric (relative performance to team mate in qualifying, races where he has beaten his team mate or even laps spent ahead of his team mate), he's got one of the weakest head to head comparisons between team mates.

I am also a little wary of some of Kubica's complaints, as it does also bring to mind the fact that Kubica was suggesting that there was a fault with his car, or that Russell was getting a better chassis, earlier in the season. Eventually, it seems that Williams decided to placate him by switching their cars over, so Russell used Kubica's car and Kubica got to use Russell's car - with Russell still continuing to beat him even after they switched the chassis around.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Kubica's Steering Wheel

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:He might be ahead on points, but that is the only area where Kubica is ahead - by any other metric (relative performance to team mate in qualifying, races where he has beaten his team mate or even laps spent ahead of his team mate), he's got one of the weakest head to head comparisons between team mates.

True enough, but with how desperate Williams is for cash, points are all that matter, because as we all know, points are worth millions. I don't know, I just don't get the Russel hype myself, and to not make a proper wheel for one of your drivers is pretty poor. Not even HRT did that. And while Robert may very well have been whinging before, its pretty hard to argue that the set-up shown above is acceptable.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell