Singapore GP 2019 discussion thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Fetzie

Singapore GP 2019 discussion thread

Post by Fetzie »

Thought I'd make one, because it didn't exist yet :)

Ricciardo has been disqualified due to a technical infringement in Q1. His MGU-K exceeded the power limit on one of his timed laps in Q1. He will be allowed to start, but so far I haven't found out if he starts on the grid or from the pit-lane.

Renault F1 are not appealing the decision (given that it did actually happen there isn't much room for that), but I feel it is rather strict given the circumstances.

* it wasn't on his fastest lap of the session
* it lasted for a fraction of the timing resolution of the track clocks.

https://twitter.com/RenaultF1Team/statu ... 6704544768
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Singapore GP 2019 discussion thread

Post by Enforcer »

Tire management is very exciting.

EDIT: Merc telling Bottas to slow down to not get ahead of Lewis. I wonder what people would say if Ferrari did that?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Let it be known that Antonio Giovinazzi: F1 lap leader is now a thing.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Turning into a bad NASCAR race.

Safety Car.
A few Green Flag Laps
Safety Car.
A few Green Flag Laps
Safety Car.

EDIT: Magnussen on fresh tires smashes the fastest lap by 1.7 seconds. C'mon F1, that's a joke. I don't want to get too nostalgic for the past, especially cos people will say "well there's more overtaking now than in the 90s, if you look at the stats blah blah" but I'm pretty sure that at no point in the 90s could a Tyrell or Ligier running in the low midfield have strapped a fresh set of tires on and pump in lap nearly 2 seconds faster than Mika Hakkinen or Michael Schumacher.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Enforcer wrote:Turning into a bad NASCAR race.

Safety Car.
A few Green Flag Laps
Safety Car.
A few Green Flag Laps
Safety Car.

EDIT: Magnussen on fresh tires smashes the fastest lap by 1.7 seconds. C'mon F1, that's a joke. I don't want to get too nostalgic for the past, especially cos people will say "well there's more overtaking now than in the 90s, if you look at the stats blah blah" but I'm pretty sure that at no point in the 90s could a Tyrell or Ligier running in the low midfield have strapped a fresh set of tires on and pump in lap nearly 2 seconds faster than Mika Hakkinen or Michael Schumacher.

I will refer you to Bertrand Gachot and Brian Henton's fastest laps.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

East Londoner wrote:Let it be known that Antonio Giovinazzi: F1 lap leader is now a thing.

First Italian to lead a race since Giancarlo Fisichella at the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix.

Coincidentally, also the first Alfa Romeo driver to lead a race since Andrea de Cesaris at the 1983 Belgian Grand Prix.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

tommykl wrote:I will refer you to Bertrand Gachot and Brian Henton's fastest laps.

You've got one F1 example in a decade there, tommy, and the lap was less than 1 second faster than Senna's fastest lap.

It's probably feasible for anyone above Williams to strap on a set of softs late on and set fastest lap in at least half the Grand Prix currently.
Last edited by Enforcer on 22 Sep 2019, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
mario

Post by mario »

On a different note, was this the race that proved that Masi just isn't fit for his role as race director?

Over this year, Masi has made some very strange and questionable calls on safety matters, and this felt like another one of those times. When you have a car that has hit the wall that hard and obviously can't be moved without heavy lifting equipment, why was he so slow to order the safety car onto track? It felt almost as if he was just sitting there watching Russell trying to get out of his car before he remembered "oh yes, I can send a safety car out on track".
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I'm starting to feel like Gasly suffered from a very chronic case of the dreaded desease called Fisichellitis in the Red Bull... He's been impressive again on the Toro Ross, and seems like his former self again.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So, Giovinazzi got a penalty for this:

I'm... Masi why. I understand the penalty, but this situation is just further evidence of the SC being deployed too late.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I too was puzzled by the time it took to get the safety car out. They could have 'stalled' using a VSC for a bit if they wanted to have a bit more of a think..
And I agree with Enforcer - it suddenly went a bit rubbish NASCAR. And I also agree on his point about Merc telling Bottas to stay behind Lewis. ( no 'let them race' approach being taken on Sunday )

But overall , there was some racing action (after the initial slow-train period). The difference in tyre performance meant overtaking was happening , and for perhaps the first time in my life I felt sorry for Kevin , who was doing a great job until undone by the safety car lottery .

I enjoyed it
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...