Race Control
71%
Romain Grosjean
7%

Total votes: 14

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Singapore

Post by Londoner »

1. Daniel Ricciardo. Two self-inflicted punctures. Could have been on for a F1.5 win with his pace otherwise.

2. Race control. Those SC calls, particularly the one for Russell were extremely late. Far too risky to cover it with double yellows. Masi often seems slow to react, which is somewhat worrying.

Honourable mention to Mercedes strategists (gamed themselves out of the win) and David Croft (atrocious performance in the booth).
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Singapore

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:2. Race control. Those SC calls, particularly the one for Russell were extremely late. Far too risky to cover it with double yellows. Masi often seems slow to react, which is somewhat worrying.

I really wondered what on earth Masi was playing at, especially in the case of Russell - it was obvious that they were going to have to bring heavy lifting equipment onto the track to move the car, and Russell was trying to get out of the car whilst there were other drivers still coming through at speed (even if it was reduced slightly due to the flags).

It was obvious that you needed to have a safety car, and he should have been putting it out there immediately to make the drivers slow down much more markedly. What was Masi waiting for? There are times when I feel that Masi has a bit of a carefree attitude towards safety that makes me question whether he is really fit for the job.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1.Race Control- How long does it take to deploy the safety car. With Russel's car in such a precarious position, it seemed to take an age to come out. Must make a decision like this much more quickly otherwise we could have had a brazil 2003 crash.

2Mercedes Stragety Oh dear. It would take a miracle to make that work with Hamilton and it didn't. Plus that Radio message to Bottas made it worse for me.

HM- Grosjean okay he came 11th (provisional at the moment). However, his crash with Russell was unnecessary and made me swear out loud.

HM- Riccardo- From hero to zero. Awful awful weekend all round. Two self-inflicted punctures and made a rod for his own back.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Race Control. That minute or so it took for the safety car to be deployed could have ended in serious injury or worse.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Ricciardo's race was pretty embarrassing, so I guess he deserves this one. Everything seemed to go wrong for him starting with his exclusion from qualifying (the one thing we can't blame him for). :facepalm:

I also feel Racing Point could have done a better job – with Pérez's car breaking down and Stroll crashing, it definitely wasn't their best weekend...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I think there are multiples names that can be mentioned here:

Race Control - You should not that long to release a SC when its clear for everyone that the car can't be moved to a safe place without the use of heavy equipment. And it's not the first time this happens as well with Masi in charge.

Valtteri Bottas - I'm not sure if that was internal politics or not, but that Twobens moment when you're still with a chance of the title... That was not good.

Daniel Ricciardo - It started well but ended badly. Dayel, why you must disappoint me like this? :(

TV Director - Please, stop being crap. Please.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

1. Daniel Ricciardo: A sloppy race for Danny today. Instead of licking the stamp and sending it, he got paper cuts on his tongue. Other drivers were able to get past the same cars at the same corners without making a mess of everything. I expect better from a driver of his caliber.

2. Mercedes Strategy: The late pit strategy works when overtaking is easy. This wasn't going to happen here. They had to resort to retiring Russel to bring out a safety car to try and close the gap, and when that didn't work, they had to get Perez to play Team Mercedes as well. (Jokes)

HM: Charles Leclerc being a Bitter Betty. You weren't robbed of a victory buddy. Vettel played the team game and took a risk that previously cost him a podium in Belgium, and helped YOU win. Vettel was not going to undercut you if it weren't for a MONSTER out lap from a slower pitstop. You had the edge yesterday, but you were outraced today.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

1st. Daniel Ricciardo: Clumsy and overeager, ruined what could have turned out to be a decent haul.

2nd. Mercedes Ruined Hamilton's strategy, then told Bottas to go slower so he doesn't pass Hamilton and cause a Hameltdown.

3rd. Grosjean: 2020 contract in hand, now it's back to hitting another driver.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

All fine nominations so far, but having watched the race with Rob Dylan I have to nominate Daniil Kvyat as well. Completely off the pace and that collision with Räikkönen was just clumsy.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Mercedes Team Orders.

Barring multiple DNFs from Hamilton, neither the Ferrari drivers or Verstappen can catch him for the title, even if one of them wins every race from here to the end of the season. And Merc are about 5 race wins ahead in the Constructors Championship too. But we can't even pretend to let Bottas feel like he's in with a shout. I mean, he is the 2nd in the Championship isn't he?

We've seen pit strategies favouring one driver over another, there's been Multi 21, and "Fernando is faster than you", but I honestly can't remember "Lap about 3 seconds slower than you can, so as not to leapfrog your team mate in the pits" as an instruction to a driver before today.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Enforcer wrote:Mercedes Team Orders.

Barring multiple DNFs from Hamilton, neither the Ferrari drivers or Verstappen can catch him for the title, even if one of them wins every race from here to the end of the season. And Merc are about 5 race wins ahead in the Constructors Championship too. But we can't even pretend to let Bottas feel like he's in with a shout. I mean, he is the 2nd in the Championship isn't he?

We've seen pit strategies favouring one driver over another, there's been Multi 21, and "Fernando is faster than you", but I honestly can't remember "Lap about 3 seconds slower than you can, so as not to leapfrog your team mate in the pits" as an instruction to a driver before today.

This, absolutely this.

I cringed when I heard that. What if Bottas HAD been allowed to catch Verstappen? What if he had forced him into a mistake? Hamilton would still have come fourth... And what if Hamilton had crashed or had a technical issue? Etc.

Plus Grosjean NOT getting a penalty for that assault on Russell while Giovinazzi got 10 seconds for driving too close to a crane
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Race Director. Too lethargic to bring out safety cars for risky situations, and too jumpy for incidents that are easy to clean up.

2) Racing Point. Promising on pace, but leave Singapore with no points and a DNF.

(Dis)Honourable Mentions:
Romain Grosjean (Pretty amateurish incident with Russell)
Mercedes Strategists (Playing the team orders game is needed to defend their lead in the Constructors, but not a popular move while Bottas is not that far behind Hamilton in the championship)
Daniel Ricciardo (Overdrove it way too much, and walks away with no points)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

1.) Mercedes Pit Wall - when even my wife sees how bad of a blunder you made in real time, you truly have cocked up. Cost your team a win if not a 1-2 then buried poor Bottas for no real reason other than spite.

2.) Leclerc - Spend the whole race whinging like Hamilton used to for no real reason. As others have said, the team didn't lose you the race, your teammate simply won it. Hell, you had the better pitstop even (despite Brundle insisting the clocks were wrong) so shut up and deal with it.
Last edited by Wallio on 23 Sep 2019, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Samster

Post by Samster »

I mean lets be honest, this is why they are keeping Bottas instead of Ocon. So Lord Hamilton gets to keep his No.2 who won't threaten to be the Leclerc to his Vettel. :facepalm:
mario

Post by mario »

If you look at the timing information, I suspect that Mercedes ordered Bottas to slow down that much because they realised that, in leaving Hamilton out for so long in the distant hope of a safety car, they'd made a massive cock up in their strategy.

Asides from Bottas, Hamilton would have definitely fallen behind Albon as well, and even a possibility that Hulkenberg would end up overtaking Hamilton. In the same way that Ferrari's strategy with Vettel was best for the team, as it guaranteed a 1-2, but ultimately hurt Leclerc, Mercedes's call to Bottas hurt him, but avoided costing the team at least one, and potentially two, places to their rivals on track. It's a rough deal either way, and one where it was mainly poor strategising by the Mercedes team that meant they'd have to make such a call.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
IceG

Post by IceG »

mario wrote:If you look at the timing information, I suspect that Mercedes ordered Bottas to slow down that much because they realised that, in leaving Hamilton out for so long in the distant hope of a safety car, they'd made a massive cock up in their strategy.

Asides from Bottas, Hamilton would have definitely fallen behind Albon as well, and even a possibility that Hulkenberg would end up overtaking Hamilton. In the same way that Ferrari's strategy with Vettel was best for the team, as it guaranteed a 1-2, but ultimately hurt Leclerc, Mercedes's call to Bottas hurt him, but avoided costing the team at least one, and potentially two, places to their rivals on track. It's a rough deal either way, and one where it was mainly poor strategising by the Mercedes team that meant they'd have to make such a call.

While I agree with your analysis, it is sad to reflect that the implication is that a top Formula 1 car with a multiple world champion at the wheel could not be relied on to overtake a rookie and/or a Formula 1.5 car. IMHO there is too much clever strategizing (see Monza q3) and not enough telling the drivers to race hard.

It seems like the Ferrari strategy of start slow and bunch everyone up worked brilliantly - except this is meant to be exiting racing with the fastest cars in the world, not that game the cyclists play before a sprint
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

IceG wrote:
mario wrote:If you look at the timing information, I suspect that Mercedes ordered Bottas to slow down that much because they realised that, in leaving Hamilton out for so long in the distant hope of a safety car, they'd made a massive cock up in their strategy.

While I agree with your analysis, it is sad to reflect that the implication is that a top Formula 1 car with a multiple world champion at the wheel could not be relied on to overtake a rookie and/or a Formula 1.5 car. IMHO there is too much clever strategizing (see Monza q3) and not enough telling the drivers to race hard.

It seems like the Ferrari strategy of start slow and bunch everyone up worked brilliantly - except this is meant to be exiting racing with the fastest cars in the world, not that game the cyclists play before a sprint

To be fair, it's generally a good bet that Singapore will have multiple safety car periods in the race. Mercedes just got jiffed that it came out as the pit window ended.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Two main suggestions from me:

The top three drivers being within the top three teams on the Driver of the Day poll, despite none of them doing any on-track overtakes, or in fact anything interesting at all, during a race where Giovinazzi in an Alfa Romeo led for at least five laps.

Romain Grosjean for making people continue to question, "Why on earth have Haas given him a new contract?"
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. The first stint, a perfect example of, as was once said, F1 satirising itself so well it doesn't need Jamie and Enoch anymore
2. Ferrari; they did the right thing for the team and Vettel did all he needed to do, but I'm mad anyway
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Daniel Ricciardo - - looked a bit desperate and cost himself with the lack of judgement
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Well it's Friday, so the first poll is up! What do you think, from the Singapore Grand Prix deserves this prestigious award? You have 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

There was a rumbling of disagreement and shock amongst our community, and for good reason. Race Control has received the ire of this website, and for good reason: a great deal of hesitation and awkward inconsistency with its decision-making. There was a serious delay before the safety car was deployed following the Grosjean / Russell incident, and they then chose to penalise Giovinazzi for dangerous driving as a result of that self-inflicted situation. A general lack of initiative regarding safety, as well as the appearance of the second half of the grand prix to be akin to a NASCAR race led to Race Control winning this weekend's Reject of the Race award.