Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Singapore

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race candidate!

Poll ended at 29 Sep 2019, 10:38

Antonio Giovinazzi
100%
Sebastian Vettel
No votes

Total votes: 15

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Singapore

Post by Londoner »

1. Antonio Giovinazzi. First time in 36 years an Alfa Romeo leads a Grand Prix, and managed to hold on for points as well. Top job mate.

2. Sebastian Vettel. Excellent strategy call, and nailed every single SC restart. It's nice to see him looking somewhat back to his best after several awful races.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Meatwad

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Singapore

Post by Meatwad »

I'm voting for Antonio Giovinazzi too. Another point, showcasing his recent improvement, but leading for a few laps was even more impressive! :D
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1Antonio Giovinazzi- Kept out of trouble, led the race and got a point. Not a bad day all round. Needed a result like that right now with the Hulk eyeing his seat.

2Sebastian Vettel- all the talk before today was him possibly looking at a one-race ban if he got 3 more penalty points. Well, he made everyone shut up with that performance. Well deserved Driver of the Day. (haven't said that for a while). May still get that ban with two races to go.

HM- Kevin Magnussen- Well he got the fastest lap and didn't piss me off, unlike his teammate.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1 . Antonio Giovinazzi
2. Pierre Gasly
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Giovanazzi was apparently the first driver since a Williams driver in 2015 to have led a lap that was not driving for Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes. Going into this race, I would have thought that McLaren or Renault would have been more likely to have done so. Even Raikkonen i would have put more money in than Giovanazzi to have done so. So kudos to him.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Giovinazzi Led, AND scored points, didn't see that coming
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It has transpired that Giovinazzi for a 10 second penalty for passing too close to a recovery vehicle under a safety car, but keeps his 10th place. Detracts slightly from this, but he still led laps!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Antonio Giovinazzi. Of all the drivers to try the late pit strategy with the Medium tires he made it work. Lead the race in an era where doing so when you're not a top 3-tier car is depressingly rare is quite the feat.

2) Sebastian Vettel. I shouldn't be giving this to a 4-time Driver's Champion, but he had a zero-to-hero moment in the span of to races, and show that he can still bring home wins.

Honourable Mentions:
Ferrari (Had control of the race, first 1-2 for them in a good while too)
Carlos Sainz Jr. (Almost made his recovery drive work)
Pierre Gasly (Scrapped hard in the midfield, a result that will keep him in Red Bull's sights if he keeps that pace up)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Vettel - Had s pit stop more than half a second slower than his teammate and followed it up with an out lap that could arguably be lap of the year. Then his move on the last restart caught everyone napping and forced even old Marty Brundle (not a Vettel fan by any means) to concede how good it was.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Samster

Post by Samster »

Sebastian Vettel - Perhaps he's not done as a top driver yet as many have recently suggested.

Antonio Giovinazzi - Improving to the point that I wouldn't be opposed to him getting a second season despite it being at Hulkenburg's expense. Or at least less opposed than sodding Grosjean getting chosen over Hulk anyway. :facepalm:
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:Vettel - Had s pit stop more than half a second slower than his teammate and followed it up with an out lap that could arguably be lap of the year. Then his move on the last restart caught everyone napping and forced even old Marty Brundle (not a Vettel fan by any means) to concede how good it was.

As a minor correction, the FIA has since corrected the times for the pit stops to show that Vettel's stop was faster than originally shown on the TV coverage - the time difference between his stop and Leclerc's stop was more like 0.2s than the 0.6s that the TV coverage suggested it was.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:
Wallio wrote:Vettel - Had s pit stop more than half a second slower than his teammate and followed it up with an out lap that could arguably be lap of the year. Then his move on the last restart caught everyone napping and forced even old Marty Brundle (not a Vettel fan by any means) to concede how good it was.

As a minor correction, the FIA has since corrected the times for the pit stops to show that Vettel's stop was faster than originally shown on the TV coverage - the time difference between his stop and Leclerc's stop was more like 0.2s than the 0.6s that the TV coverage suggested it was.

Well then another knock on the overall race direction/TV coverage this year. Still, that was a MEGA lap. Reminded me of Seb in 2012 or 2013.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Hmm, a once consistently fantastic driver who is now probably past it, but once every ten races when it is necessary becomes good again. Reminds me of another Ferrari driver of recent years :oops:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Giovinazzi because he beat Räikkönen for once
2. Ferrari for being good on a twisty track
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

A very simple poll on this thread, because there were only two candidates that got anywhere near a decent number of votes. And those candidates, far more popular than their competitors, are Antonio Giovinazzi and Sebastian Vettel! Get voting, you have 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Has to be Giovinazzi for me. Starting to impress me, I hope he bags a few more points before the season finishes.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Wow. So yeah, I have no issue with these results: Antonio Giovinazzi wins 100% of the vote :D A driver with a lot of pressure, who has recently had an upswing in performance, with Singapore being the peak up until this point. Leading the race, great strategy and another reliable points finish. Good job, Antonio!