Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Japan

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race candidate!

Poll ended at 20 Oct 2019, 12:03

Carlos Sainz
30%
Daniel Ricciardo
40%
Valtteri Bottas
30%

Total votes: 10

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Japan

Post by Londoner »

1. 2019 Bathurst 1000. A highly entertaining 7 hours of action.

2. Colin Turkington. On the cusp of matching Andy Rouse's four BTCC titles today, and he's looking ominously strong already.

There was very little improbability in the F1 race today, so yeah...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Japan

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Scotty Mac - BEST DRIVER IN THE WORLD
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Bottas - best performance I've seen from him in ages.

Sainz - what a great year he's having.

Danny Ric - great result having been nowhere in qualifying.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Ricciardo probably had the result I expected least, so I'll nominate him. Honorable mention to Albon – while he had had several impressive races before, his performance relative to Verstappen this weekend was still a surprise to me.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Bottas. Had a Steller weekend and had the beating of Hamilton the whole time.

2- Sainz I suppose for getting 5th and now ahead of Gasly in the standings.

(Quite a boring one tbh.)
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

East Londoner wrote:1. 2019 Bathurst 1000. A highly entertaining 7 hours of action.

2. Colin Turkington. On the cusp of matching Andy Rouse's four BTCC titles today, and he's looking ominously strong already.

There was very little improbability in the F1 race today, so yeah...

And rotten luck for Dan Cammish. But the action was definitely elsewhere today.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Carlos Sainz - Not just the front of the midfield today, the back of the frontrunners
2. Valtteri Bottas - Hate to say it, but can't say I expected that
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Yes ;
Sainz
Bottas - he was very good, from the start .
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

I'm going to have to jump in and agree with the comments above:

1. Valtteri Bottas: Sure, the guy's in a Mercedes, but we've come to expect much, much less from Bottas lately. He had the measure of Hamilton this weekend, and when I expected Vettel, barring a jump-start penalty, to catch and pass Bottas eventually, he was able to keep a convincing lead. Definitely IIDOTR material.

2. Carlos Sainz: Really the award should go to McLaren for continuing to surprise us with their upturn in performance, but Sainz has been delivering that little bit extra. If McLaren's upturn continues next season, I think Sainz is going to make regular appearances on the podium.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Not many outstanding performances on Sunday. I’ll give it to Ricciardo for turning 16th to 6th
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

I'm in the Ricciardo camp as well. Renault had a terrible qualifying but were able to turn it around on Sunday and especially Ricciardo was exceptional - didn't see that kind of performance coming from them!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

This one's easier to do. Three clear and easy candidates to pick from. Get voting in the next 48 hours!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Without a real standout candidate, there wasn't a real standout winner. However, Daniel Ricciardo did have a noteworthy performance in the Renault. Especially after a couple of poor races this season, to go from 16th to 6th over the course of the Suzuka race was commendable, and he wins a quiet Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race in Japan.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:Without a real standout candidate, there wasn't a real standout winner. However, Daniel Ricciardo did have a noteworthy performance in the Renault. Especially after a couple of poor races this season, to go from 16th to 6th over the course of the Suzuka race was commendable, and he wins a quiet Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race in Japan.

I would like to ask a quick question given the ongoing investigation into Renault's braking system in that race - if it is found that Renault's car was illegal and if Ricciardo is disqualified from the race, will this vote still stand as it is?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I've never heard of a ROTR award being changed post-race, so I guess we could feed it into the Mexican Grand Prix award? Either way, if it does indeed happen that Renault get serious sanctions, there's no way it's missing Reject of the Year.