50%
Pit stops
50%

Total votes: 10

TomPryce

Reject of the Race: Mexico

Post by TomPryce »

1) Haas. Totally anonymous.
2) Pit crews. Not a good day all told...

Edit: LATE CALL ON KVYAT, WHAT A MORON!

Edit 2: just to say, I am not nominating Ferarri as it seems to be par for the course in their sheer incompetence.
Last edited by TomPryce on 27 Oct 2019, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Salamander

Re: Reject of the Race: Mexico

Post by Salamander »

1. Clint Bowyer: Has a flat right rear tyre, asks his team to change left side tyres. So he has to come back in to change the actual flat tyre and brings out a caution in the bargain. Well bathplugging done.

EDIT: I should probably also mention he was running 3rd or 4th when this happened, and had a car that could've won before all this happened.
Last edited by Salamander on 27 Oct 2019, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Clint Bowyer. Instant ROTR, for the reasons outlined by Salamander above.

2. Romain Grosjean. Finished behind Russell on merit.

Honourable mentions to McLaren and Max Verstappen
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Thanks Kvyat, I was struggling on this one.
2. The coverage of the Perez Grand Prix.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

There is one clear standout – pit stops. Norris had his race completely ruined, Giovinazzi lost a lot of time, and Leclerc was also robbed of a chance to challenge Bottas.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Ferrari. Turned a 1-2 start into a 2-4 finish through a mixture of questionable strategy calls and a fumbled pitstop, with Leclerc messing up his one chance to attack Bottas.

FIA/Stewards, for how they nearly didn't handle Verstappen ignoring yellow flags yesterday.
mario

Post by mario »

Well, at least it makes a change that we've got something other than rank incompetence by the stewards being the blatant leading candidate.

To be honest, they probably deserve a dishonourable mention for the poor handling of the incident with Verstappen, and I think they weren't brilliant in the race either - but, perhaps fortunately, there weren't that many incidents that they needed to rule on. That said, they seem to be taking their time with the decision on Norris's pit stop...

Speaking of which, botched pit stops certainly seem to be a pretty decent candidate - McLaren's mistake with Norris cost them dearly, then there was the mistake with Giovinazzi and then the clumsy stop with Leclerc as well.

McLaren also didn't really maximise their chances, although it has to be said that there had been some midfield teams predicting that going through into Q3 on the soft tyres meant that you could well end up in 13th place by the end - exactly where Sainz wound up in the end, and perhaps as much a sign of how bad the soft tyres were this weekend.

It has to be said that Verstappen hardly covered himself in glory though - it felt like he carried a bit too much of that frustration from qualifying into the race and never really regained his composure after that. Some of his moves were very clumsy - it felt a bit like, when he came up to Magnussen, he pretty much just nudged him out of the way (though, equally, I was rather unsurprised that the decision was "no further action" by the stewards on that one), and I am fairly sure there was at least one instance of him cutting a corner on the opening lap that was overlooked as well.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

I am fairly sure there was at least one instance of him cutting a corner on the opening lap that was overlooked as well.

They often turn a blind eye to people running off track or minor corner cutting on the first lap due to everybody running so close together and 2-3 cars running next to each other.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

1st: Ferrari: Turned a 1-2 start into a Mercedes win.. again...

2nd: More pitstop shenanigans Fairly straightforward, these automated systems aren't all they're cracked up to be.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Pit crews: read above

2. Kvyat: That moment wasn't called for. The penalty was deserved.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The YouTube highlights of the race - no explanation of anything that happened, especially the most important part, which was how Hamilton won the race. If there were few incidents on track, they could have at least put a basic explanation as to what was going on on the track. Nope. There were some crashes. Then Hamilton won.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Fetzie wrote:
I am fairly sure there was at least one instance of him cutting a corner on the opening lap that was overlooked as well.

They often turn a blind eye to people running off track or minor corner cutting on the first lap due to everybody running so close together and 2-3 cars running next to each other.

They do give a little more leeway, but from the glimpse I saw it looked like he misjudged it in the esses and needed the shortcut to keep position. I thought it was a bit cynical
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I'll stick up for Kvyat- Hulk was out of tyres and possibly unexpectedly slow, it was the last corner of the last lap and we like drivers to have a go so Kvyat tries to squeeze inside to outdrag Hulk on the way to the line .. and misjudges it . Max nerfed Kevin , even Vettel nerfed Leclerc at one point on lap 1 . It's a misjudgment ( like Ricciardo's desperate lunge to overtake Perez) , and maybe a penalty, but I didnt think it was cringeworthy reject material .

The pitstops on the other hand.....
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Not much rejectfulness IMO this week so.....

1.) F1TV/SkySports/ESPN/Whoever the hell brought Martin Brundle back - Seriously, the dude is terrible, right up there with Joe Buck in the running for "Worst Commentator on Earth". I could understand it if Di Resta was off, but you shoe horned him in to 3rd fiddle. Unacceptable.

2.) Max Verstappen - But not for the reason you may think. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT LAD! You are the only reason the stewards even bothered to look into the matter in Q3. Just do what Lewis does to the officials, lie! Its not rocket science!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1. Pit Crews. Some terrible errors going on from a lot of teams

2. Haas. The performances now have dropped off a cliff and it can't even be blamed on the drivers hitting each other.

HM- Ferrari. Went from a 1-2 to a 2-4 because they wrecked Leclercs race by going on a two stop (and the pit stop)
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wallio wrote:Not much rejectfulness IMO this week so.....

2.) Max Verstappen - But not for the reason you may think. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT LAD! You are the only reason the stewards even bothered to look into the matter in Q3. Just do what Lewis does to the officials, lie! Its not rocket science!

Not exactly true, the FIA officials were busy making sure the barriers at the final corner were in good shape ahead of the Supercup race, so they couldn't get to sorting Verstappen until after that. It did seem like it was a reaction to his comments, but that's not the case.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The poll is up, so get voting on your choice for Reject of the Race in Mexico! You have 48 hours :dance:

p.s. I left out the stewards / FiA nominations simply because I don't want the madness of them winning the award 3 races out of 4!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ataxia wrote:Not exactly true, the FIA officials were busy making sure the barriers at the final corner were in good shape ahead of the Supercup race, so they couldn't get to sorting Verstappen until after that. It did seem like it was a reaction to his comments, but that's not the case.

Possibly. I know a saw a few since deleted tweets claiming one of the stewards said they had no intention to investigate until the interview, but seeing as I cannot find them, they may very well have been wrong. Still, bragging about your rules violation is a pretty bad look.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So, a joint winner again this weekend. The Pit Stops win for being consistently bad throughout Sunday. Almost all the teams had at least one major fluff-up during the race, and disrupted the flow of many drivers. Max Verstappen had a very messy weekend, having lost his pole time due to an infringement, and then carrying that frustration into Sunday. A measly sixth for his troubles was not exactly what he was hoping for.