Williams and their terrible pitstop
No votes
BONUS: That Formula E video
21%

Total votes: 14

dr-baker

2019 Brazilian GP ROTR

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport says the race starts at 18:10 my time (in about 50+ minutes). I tune into Sky Sports F1 channel, and it's already end of lap 1...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2019 Brazilian GP ROTR

Post by Wallio »

Its it too early to nominate Riccardo? What an absolute muppet.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Kubica's pit lane release into Verstappen's path?!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:Kubica's pit lane release into Verstappen's path?!

That was bad enough to almost be intentional. And who is William's engine supplier? Where is my tinfoil hat? It's been awhile.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker wrote:Autosport says the race starts at 18:10 my time (in about 50+ minutes). I tune into Sky Sports F1 channel, and it's already end of lap 1...
So it wasn't me!

I'm really mad. I tuned in and it was lap 47. Autosport told me the race was starting an hour later than it did. It's now been corrected.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Well this will be the easiest ROTR all year. If not ever.....

What a bunch of idiots.

rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1. Well let me think....
Ferrari!!! Again!! They can't wait for 2019 to end

2. Mercedes. Nowhere near the pace of Red Bull. Not convinced about the Albon Incident but bad calls from the team all race.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Hamilton: Ruined Albon’s podium hopes
2. Vettel: Colliding with teammate Leclerc, causing a double Ferrari DNF
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Autosport says the race starts at 18:10 my time (in about 50+ minutes). I tune into Sky Sports F1 channel, and it's already end of lap 1...
So it wasn't me!

I'm really mad. I tuned in and it was lap 47. Autosport told me the race was starting an hour later than it did. It's now been corrected.

Makes me wish I checked Sky Sports schedule instead. And this comes from an Autosport fan.
MCard LOLA
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

It has to be Ferrari. Idiots, absolute idiots.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Wallio wrote:Its it too early to nominate Riccardo? What an absolute muppet.

With hindsight, yes!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

The race I stop nominating Ferrari for RotR in Predictions, they pull a blinder like that....

Ferrari.

Also, they will now definitely be my nomination for RotY.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

1st: Ferrari: Only they could manage that. Was thinking Leclerc and Vettel are looking like Prost and Senna, this could be far less friendly.

2nd: Hamilton: A little overeager there.

3rd: Ricciardo Really ruined his race

DHM: Bernard Charles Ecclestone Just can't go quietly into the sunset, still trying to appear relevant...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It's odd, you know; two things for which I wouldn't usually jump on the bandwagon are bashing the stewards and bashing Lewis Hamilton... but it seems, today, I am left with no choice. Suffice to say that I am unspeakably pissed off on behalf of Alex Albon, who should have been spraying some champagne and polishing a trophy - and then, once the cruel hand of fate crushed his day, I am equally pissed of on behalf of Carlos Sainz, who might still get a trophy to polish but will have had his chance to spray champagne on the podium snatched away from him - and he's been waiting a lot longer for this day than Pierre Gasly has - by a decision that was not passed immediately out of sheer cowardice. I imagine there will be similar rumblings at McLaren, because six years without a podium would have been thought unimaginable even as late as 2013. And given that the driver in the stewards' box was Emanuele Pirro, who hands out penalty after penalty after penalty - to the point where Daniel Ricciardo getting hit with one warranted only the briefest "imagine my shock" - the last half a lap was ample time to pass judgement on Lewis' hatchet job, which was worse than what the perma-smiling Aussie was penalised for.

It's a bit like 2003 all over again, only without the Atlantic Ocean falling out the sky.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Ferrari - a slam dunk.

(2) The first safety car - why was this not a VSC? There was no debris, the car was safe and off the firing line at a gap in the fencing, and the crane was behind the fencing. This seemed like a vain attempt to spice up the race.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Yep, this is the Ferrari drivers' one. You do not race your teammate this hard, especially since neither of you are fighting for a title. Honestly, if I was in charge at Maranello, I'd bench both of them for Abu Dhabi just to get them back in line.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Klon wrote:Yep, this is the Ferrari drivers' one. You do not race your teammate this hard, especially since neither of you are fighting for a title. Honestly, if I was in charge at Maranello, I'd bench both of them for Abu Dhabi just to get them back in line.

Ooh I like that Idea. Maybe put Hulkenburg in that car for one last hurrah in F1 (for the moment)
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

IceG wrote:(1) Ferrari - a slam dunk.

(2) The first safety car - why was this not a VSC? There was no debris, the car was safe and off the firing line at a gap in the fencing, and the crane was behind the fencing. This seemed like a vain attempt to spice up the race.

1. No.2 above. A ridiculously long full safety car for that?
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:It's odd, you know; two things for which I wouldn't usually jump on the bandwagon are bashing the stewards and bashing Lewis Hamilton... but it seems, today, I am left with no choice. Suffice to say that I am unspeakably pissed off on behalf of Alex Albon, who should have been spraying some champagne and polishing a trophy - and then, once the cruel hand of fate crushed his day, I am equally pissed of on behalf of Carlos Sainz, who might still get a trophy to polish but will have had his chance to spray champagne on the podium snatched away from him - and he's been waiting a lot longer for this day than Pierre Gasly has - by a decision that was not passed immediately out of sheer cowardice. I imagine there will be similar rumblings at McLaren, because six years without a podium would have been thought unimaginable even as late as 2013. And given that the driver in the stewards' box was Emanuele Pirro, who hands out penalty after penalty after penalty - to the point where Daniel Ricciardo getting hit with one warranted only the briefest "imagine my shock" - the last half a lap was ample time to pass judgement on Lewis' hatchet job, which was worse than what the perma-smiling Aussie was penalised for.

It's a bit like 2003 all over again, only without the Atlantic Ocean falling out the sky.

It's worth noting that Albon himself has said that, as he was unable to tell where exactly Hamilton, was, he was basically trusting to luck that Hamilton wouldn't be there:
It's one of them things when you go side by side like that at that angle, it's completely blind, so you kind of give space, but you don't know really where he is and you just have to turn in and you have to hope there is no one there.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... n/4599156/

Unfortunately, it sounds as if the argument over a penalty for Hamilton has disguised the fact that Sainz is going to lose that podium anyway.

It's been confirmed that Sainz has been instructed to visit the stewards - they're currently dealing with Leclerc and Vettel - as he seems to have been caught using his DRS in a yellow flag zone (in fact, it seems that multiple cars are under investigation for using DRS in yellow flag zones).

That is actually probably why they didn't let Sainz go onto the podium - because he is also under investigation and highly likely to lose that position anyway.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Ferrari drivers. Slam dunk. Thought the team must shoulder some responsibility too for not making them calm it down.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Ferrari drivers: Threw away their race all at once. Pathetic showing.

2) Lewis Hamilton: Took away Albon's chance to shine.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ferrari: Well if that doesn’t sum up their 2019 season I don’t know what does

Sebastian Vettel: That was Turkey 2010 all over again. Plus how many times did he become easy meat at turn 1?

Lewis Hamilton: Usual moaning over the radio and then ruined Albon’s big day. Nuff said

Valterri Bottas: Actually forgot he was in the race until the engine gave up

Danill Kvyat: Out in Q1 and scraped a point while Gasly started 6th and scored a podium.

Williams pit crew: That was dumb and dangerous
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Sebastian Vettel. Not sure how that pass on Leclerc was going to work in any capacity. As if the Prancing Horses didn't have enough headaches already this season...

2) Williams Pit Crew. Very unsafe release, and almost cost Max the race.

(Dis)honorable Mentions:
Lewis Hamilton (I know he is champion and doesn't need to go 100% anymore for 2019, but he performed rather amateurishly near the end and ruined Albon's race)

Daniel Ricciardo (Pretty clumsy start and spent the race doing flip all)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I actually laughed about the Ferrari drivers. It was nothing about disliking either of them or Ferrari, but it fit the narrative so well and put Gasly into contention.

1. Vettel - Moved into his teammate on a straight, causing the whole thing
2. Leclerc - Raced his teammate hard when solid points should've been the goal, causing the whole thing
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Ferrari ...actually Sebastian I think

And yes - that first safety car seemed unnecessary, unless I missed something. VSC would have been fine , no?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Something else occurred to me, Formula 1.5 needs a mention too, I know the safety car helped reduce the time lost in the pits, but Verstappen pitted TWICE more than Sainz, and still came out ahead.
mario

Post by mario »

yannicksamlad wrote:Ferrari ...actually Sebastian I think

And yes - that first safety car seemed unnecessary, unless I missed something. VSC would have been fine , no?

There is an individual on the F1 Fanatic site who claims to be affiliated with FOM - and some of the information he has provided in the past does seem to support that - who has suggested that Liberty Media have been putting pressure on the sport to use safety cars more frequently to compress the field in order to "spice things up", and is expecting the safety car to be used much more heavily in the coming races and in 2020 as well because of that.

Personally, I do think that a VSC could have done the job perfectly adequately - I think that the crane didn't even have to go past the end of the barrier on the inside of the corner, so I don't see what change using the safety car made. If the comments by that individual who claims to be affiliated to FOM are true though, it suggests that perhaps Masi was pressured to use a full safety car instead of a VSC in order to artificially mix up the field - a move that seems rather similar to NASCAR's "caution periods".

Speaking of trying to create more action through the use of the safety car, he suggested that the sport has considered having double file restarts, as previously used in IndyCar, to try to create even more action when restarting after a safety car - although apparently that was ditched because IndyCar's experiment suggested it'd cause too many accidents.

It is apparently also behind another initiative by Liberty to explore how the restart rules can be altered, with a suggestion of not allowing cars to accelerate until they reached the start/finish line to bunch the field up even more - although they apparently now favour having a longer run up so the drivers arrive in the first corner at higher speed.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

mario wrote:

There is an individual on the F1 Fanatic site who claims to be affiliated with FOM - and some of the information he has provided in the past does seem to support that - who has suggested that Liberty Media have been putting pressure on the sport to use safety cars more frequently to compress the field in order to "spice things up", and is expecting the safety car to be used much more heavily in the coming races and in 2020 as well because of that.

That'll be the trend in motorsport in upcoming years. DTM and Gerhard Berger have been rather candid about how they use the SC to spice up the show when justified. I just hope this won't provoke a "boy who cried wolf" reaction because when it is needed, the safety car is needed.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I withdraw my nomination of the Ferrari drivers, because who cares about F1 drivers doing stupid things when someone thinks this is a good idea to put on an official Youtube account.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Ferrari. Teammates colliding is almost always an instant ROTR.

2. Lewis Hamilton. Drove like an imbecile and ruined Albon's race. Also Lewis, pay your bathplug taxes you utter Tory. :facepalm:

Honourable mention to that Formula E video. :badoer:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

Klon wrote:
mario wrote:

That'll be the trend in motorsport in upcoming years. DTM and Gerhard Berger have been rather candid about how they use the SC to spice up the show when justified. I just hope this won't provoke a "boy who cried wolf" reaction because when it is needed, the safety car is needed.

I also really dislike the possibility that they will resort to heavy handed use of the safety car to try and artificially spice things up.

Firstly, as you say, there is the risk of the "boy who cried wolf" reaction that could result in something going wrong if people stop treating safety car scenarios seriously, and secondly because there have been times when one safety car has provoked a second or third one - now, whilst most of those collisions haven't been too damaging, I fear that eventually we will have a situation where there is a serious collision after a safety car restart that was called simply to "spice things up".

East Londoner wrote:1. Ferrari. Teammates colliding is almost always an instant ROTR.

2. Lewis Hamilton. Drove like an imbecile and ruined Albon's race. Also Lewis, pay your bathplug taxes you utter Tory. :facepalm:

Honourable mention to that Formula E video. :badoer:

As an aside, I think that you'll find that every single driver on the grid is currently domiciled abroad for tax purposes - though at least for Grosjean and Leclerc, they do at least hail from countries which are considered tax havens.

In fact, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a winner of the WDC over the past couple of decades that hasn't spent at least part of their career living in a tax haven, or is still living there now. Over the last 30 years at least, I believe only one WDC winner chose to give up being a tax exile, which was Alonso - and, even then, I think he only did that a few years ago (I think only after moving to McLaren).
Indeed, over the last 50 years it looks like, at best, you'd have three drivers who weren't tax exiles for at least part of their career - although it may be that some of those drivers were in fact tax exiles, it's just that their financial arrangements weren't fully known (there is a Reddit thread which has a list of known WDC tax exiles https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... tax_exile/ )

Financially, he's certainly not unusual compared to most other British F1 drivers - Damon Hill claims residency in Monaco (he used to claim residency in the Isle of Man), and I believe he also channels most of his financial dealings through a company in Ireland to further reduce his taxes. Button also claims residency in Monaco (formerly in Jersey), and I believe he has suggested he also runs most of his business dealings through Jersey, whilst Mansell claims residency in Jersey.

It's not even a new phenomenon - Hunt moved to Monaco in the 1970s, and back in the 1960s Stewart moved out to Switzerland, where he still claims residency, and then persuaded Clark to move first to France and then to Switzerland for tax purposes. I believe that it was one of the main reasons why Graham Hill had to do so much of Lotus's testing work - because Clark couldn't set foot in the UK for extended periods of time, otherwise he'd risk losing his tax free status. Even those who weren't champions, such as Irvine, are mostly tax exiles as well (I believe he channels much of his business through companies in Ireland, so as to take advantage of their low tax rates).

Maybe it is just me, but it feels as if Hamilton is given a disproportionate amount of criticism over his tax affairs when compared to contemporary figures, such as Jenson Button - I've not seen many go "Oi, Button, why don't you pay taxes here?", despite him being domiciled in Monaco.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

IIRC, Damon Hill actually lived in Ireland (Dalkey specifically) for at least some of his active racing years. Although he sold the house around 1999/2000.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Posted on Thursday but didn't get submitted until now?

Just to say that from my own point of view, I feel F1 already played that "boy who cried safety car" scenario about 10 years ago. In 2010 especially I recall a safety car in almost every race, multiple times. I really hope we don't get another 2010 - championship was good, but the races were spent half the time at 10km/h.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:Posted on Thursday but didn't get submitted until now?

Just to say that from my own point of view, I feel F1 already played that "boy who cried safety car" scenario about 10 years ago. In 2010 especially I recall a safety car in almost every race, multiple times. I really hope we don't get another 2010 - championship was good, but the races were spent half the time at 10km/h.

Looking back at 2010, it seems the safety car was used in the following races:
Round 2 - Australia: laps 1-4 due to 3 car pile up between Kobayashi, Hulkenberg and Buemi
Round 4 - China: laps 1-3 after Liuzzi spun into Kobayashi and Buemi, and 22-25 when Alguersuari crashed into one of the HRTs and spread a large amount of debris after his front wing disintegrated on the way back to the pits.
Round 6 - Monaco: laps 1-6 after Hulkenberg crashed in the tunnel when his front wing broke off, and then I think laps 43-35 when Barrichello crashed due to a loose manhole, before ending under a safety car when Trulli crashed into Chandhok and ended up blocking part of the track.
Round 9 - Europe: laps 9-14, caused by Webber crashing into the back of Kovalainen's Lotus and somersaulting into the run off area.
Round 10 - Britain: laps 28-30, due to debris dropping off de la Rosa's car from a damaged rear wing.
Round 12 - Hungary: laps 15-17 after Liuzzi's front wing fell off and spread debris on track after an accident.
Round 13 - Belgium: laps 2-3 and laps 38-40 when Alonso spun and crashed at Les Coombes.
Round 15 - Singapore: laps 3-5 after Liuzzi broke his suspension and was stuck at Turn 10, then 32-35 when Kobayashi and Senna crashed and ended up stuck in the barriers at Turn 18.
Round 16 - Japan: laps 1-6 because of two separate cashes - Hulkenberg-Petrov and Massa-Liuzzi - leaving four cars littered around the 1st corner.
Round 17 - Korea: well, we had laps 1-17, 19-23 and 32-34, along with one red flag period, given the atrocious weather and multiple crashes (Webber-Rosberg causing one safety car, whilst Buemi triggered the next one when he crashed into Glock).
Round 18 - Brazil: laps 50-55 after Liuzzi's front suspension broke and caused him to crash at the second part of the Senna S.
Round 19 - Abu Dhabi: laps 1-5 after the Schumacher-Liuzzi crash that saw Liuzzi's car ramp onto the top of Schumacher's car.

All in all, you had 12 of the 19 races that season interrupted by safety cars, so it is true that quite a few races that season did have a safety car period. However, your memories are not quite right as only four of those races saw the safety car used multiple times, and most of the races where the safety car was deployed, it was because of a major crash.

Most of those safety cars also occurred at or near the beginning of a race, usually due to a crash in the opening corners - and, on reflection, I would say that it was fair to call for a safety car in most of those cases, as most of them involved recovering badly damaged cars, several times involving cars that were stuck on the track itself, with heavy lifting gear.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

mario wrote:Speaking of trying to create more action through the use of the safety car, he suggested that the sport has considered having double file restarts, as previously used in IndyCar, to try to create even more action when restarting after a safety car - although apparently that was ditched because IndyCar's experiment suggested it'd cause too many accidents.

It is apparently also behind another initiative by Liberty to explore how the restart rules can be altered, with a suggestion of not allowing cars to accelerate until they reached the start/finish line to bunch the field up even more - although they apparently now favour having a longer run up so the drivers arrive in the first corner at higher speed.

Yes , it does seem that Liberty are looking at how to make re-starts more 'exciting' . This and the clear issue that full SC periods frequently tend to create further incidents seems to make a mockery of the concept that the safety car is deployed (supposedly) to enhance safety. A VSC often seems overall safer ..to me .
And I'm with Rob , a full SC period ( and the time spent with cars unlapping themselves) makes for some extended dull viewing, so if Liberty think they will 'spice things up' with more SC periods they may be mistaken
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Reject of the Race is up! Lots of prime candidates from a crazy race, you have 48 hours to vote :dance:
mario

Post by mario »

yannicksamlad wrote:
mario wrote:Speaking of trying to create more action through the use of the safety car, he suggested that the sport has considered having double file restarts, as previously used in IndyCar, to try to create even more action when restarting after a safety car - although apparently that was ditched because IndyCar's experiment suggested it'd cause too many accidents.

Yes , it does seem that Liberty are looking at how to make re-starts more 'exciting' . This and the clear issue that full SC periods frequently tend to create further incidents seems to make a mockery of the concept that the safety car is deployed (supposedly) to enhance safety. A VSC often seems overall safer ..to me .
And I'm with Rob , a full SC period ( and the time spent with cars unlapping themselves) makes for some extended dull viewing, so if Liberty think they will 'spice things up' with more SC periods they may be mistaken

That said, when most fans talk of the effect that a safety car had on a race, they usually remember the antics that occur after the safety car, not the safety car period itself - just look at how, on other sites, most of the comments about the safety car in Brazil were about how exciting the final laps were. It's perhaps not surprising that Liberty are focussing in on that aspect.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

mario wrote:. It's perhaps not surprising that Liberty are focussing in on that aspect.

...this does make me a bit sad . And others too, I think.

The safety car is supposedly for safety . I dont like it being used to make things interesting/ risky

If Liberty were honest and said they want to meddle with re-starts to make racing more exciting by having everyone close up after a bit , they should propose splitting a Grand Prix into smaller chunks . I remember Americans suggesting football (soccer) should have four 'quarters' with the score re-set after each period and the winner of the most quarters wins the match. This because in tennis, you can get a sort of re-set - you can be destroyed in the first set, but still win the match without winning the most points, or even games. There is more hope of 'redemption'.
Of course if Liberty proposed this , we'd all object. So if people don't object to using safety cars to spice things up, well I suppose Liberty achieve their aim...until people decide that F1 is 'manipulated' and lacks integrity ( and NASCAR suffers from that now)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I think that's a relatively clear answer from our forum: Ferrari, as well as its drivers Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel have yet again let everyone down and allowed their rivals to score grand points hauls. It was a collision that should have been avoided easily. Leclerc didn't need to fight that hard, what with the long-term context of the race, whilst Sebastian in my opinion was as guilty of this crash as he was in Turkey 2010, i.e., completely guilty. Why Ferrari as a whole? Because yet again they've thrown away points. They should be challenging the leaders, and in the race where Mercedes earns seven points, they shouldn't be extending their lead over Ferrari. That's unforgivable!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

But if I may continue the conversation, I think it's the perception of fairness and a lack of "manipulation" as it was put that is one of the most important aspects F1 needs to have in this day and age. I know it's been 10 years since Crashgate, but the teams really are still so inter-connected with all their various relationships, that even when jokes are thrown, there's always a grain of doubt in people's minds: Toro Rossos holding up Red Bull's rivals, Williams-Mercedes not putting up a fight against the works team, the reaction to Pérez not winning in Malaysia.

As long as it remains fringe-conspiracy, that's fine by me, but in their attempts to make it a SHOW, Liberty have to make sure it doesn't turn into a pre-written soap opera, or even have the appearance or perception of such a thing.