The 2020 Car Launches Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dinizintheoven

The 2020 Car Launches Thread

Post by dinizintheoven »

Quite surprised nobody's done this yet, seeing as we've had our first unveiling today. And it's the Stars-And-Stripes-waving, AR-15-wielding, apple-pie-munching, God-worshipping TRUE 'MURICAN TEAM that's NUMBER ONE, Y'ALL! That's right, it's FORCE ONE USA, creation of GOD'S FAVORITE SON, DON PENTECOST (Jesus being relegated into a distant second place because ol' Don is just so special), which will make him THE OLDEST WORLD CHAMPEEN IN THE HISTORY OF FORMULA ONE, A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF FORMULA ONE ENTERPRISES, LIBERTY MEDIA AND JEAN-MARY BALESTRE, WHOEVER SHE IS...

...oh, wait, don't get so excited, it's Haas.

They've taken the VF-19 and changed the shape of the airbox, and made an all-new car! You've got to hand it to them, they know how to save money after the Rich Energy debacle last year. They've even limited the new paint-job to half the car.

You know, there's just the faintest hint of HRT's early days about it...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The 2020 Car Launches Thread

Post by Wallio »

Well aside from the obvious, in that I'm sure the front and rear wings, and diffuser probably ARE last years pieces and will change for the test, from what I understand a good portion of last year's issues with cooking the tyres were related to mechanical grip, or an extreme lack thereof, so I imagine most of the changes will be under the skin.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:Well aside from the obvious, in that I'm sure the front and rear wings, and diffuser probably ARE last years pieces and will change for the test, from what I understand a good portion of last year's issues with cooking the tyres were related to mechanical grip, or an extreme lack thereof, so I imagine most of the changes will be under the skin.

The front wing looks like it does have some differences to their 2019 design - it's possible that it could be the finished article, as they might be aiming at an evolution of their 2019 car.

With regards to changes, overhead shots suggest that they have changed the alignment of the front suspension, and they've moved the steering rod away from the top suspension link. The way that the bodywork seems to have been wrapped around the sidepod area looks a bit different too - it looks like they've perhaps moved towards having a more pronounced undercut at the front. It looks like, from above, the sidepods possibly start to taper in a little sooner than the 2019 car did, but the rear bodywork doesn't seem to be quite as tightly packaged as it was in 2019.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Mercedes reveal their livery for this year:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... MzLno.html
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

They tried to save the red bit on the upper intake with putting some on the wings, but ultimately it's a bit awkward, isn't it.

I want to get excited by the shape of the car—I know it's supposed to be a 2019 car, but it looks different in places—but who knows what'll actually appear on track....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I love the Ferrari launch ceremony. All that strings and orchestra and ceremony to release a car that looks identical to last year's car :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

So far:

- Haas have all but copied last year's car;
- Ferrari have reintroduced the "Viking horns" from the mid-2000s (and the number font that was used from around 1982-95);
- McLaren have brought back the indented shape over the bulkhead that was popular circa 2010.

Who's been stealing Doc Brown's time machine? Great Scott!
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dinizintheoven wrote:- Ferrari have reintroduced the "Viking horns" from the mid-2000s

I must be looking at the wrong thing, but the engine cover on the Ferrari is wing free?

I love how Mclaren have nearly identical liveries on their F1 and Indycars. Just reverse the black and blue. Dig the small sidepods too.

Red Bull seems to finally be adopting a thinner Merc style nose.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Wallio wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:- Ferrari have reintroduced the "Viking horns" from the mid-2000s

I must be looking at the wrong thing, but the engine cover on the Ferrari is wing free?

They're smaller than McLaren's original version, but they're there.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dinizintheoven wrote:
They're smaller than McLaren's original version, but they're there.[/url]

Well how bout it! I had been looking at only profile shots and they almost blend in completely! Very cheeky.

Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Merc do their full launch

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 1Wxql.html

EDIT: Alpha Tauri launching their new car, and finally, a new livery in the 2020 launches!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... XSzPV.html
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Obviously I heartily approve of the 1991 AGS style livery on the Alpha Tauri car.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Alpha Tauri's livery is what Williams should've had last year.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

TR/AT with the best livery on the grid once again. Very pretty.

CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Alpha Tauri took an interesting direction, but I still think the last TR livery was better, less cluttered, if symbols were smaller it would look less cluttered IMO.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Williams launch, not the greatest livery, but a lot better than last year.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... BYwih.html

And Racing Point too

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... mNIsj.html

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Williams, very slightly better. I do like this livery, will be interesting to see it on the track.

Force India Racing Point Stroll Inc. Racing, very slightly more pink, if I am not wrong.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Take one Manor-Marussia-interim-period MR03B with the Flex-Box sponsorship, move the colours around a bit...

Rumours that George Russell has been on the phone to Will Stevens asking for driving tips are yet to be confirmed.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

That Williams is growing on me already.

As for Racing Point or whatever they're called at the moment, same old same old, but with less blue. I felt the blue on pink 2019 livery worked a lot better than it should have.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

dinizintheoven wrote:Take one Manor-Marussia-interim-period MR03B with the Flex-Box sponsorship, move the colours around a bit...

Rumours that George Russell has been on the phone to Will Stevens asking for driving tips are yet to be confirmed.

Well the first thing I thought of was:

Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Renault launch their livery, quite underwhelming acutally.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 7HdwM.html