A List of "Rewatchable" Races

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Row Man Gross-Gene

A List of "Rewatchable" Races

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

I'd really love to get hold of a nice list of races that it would be worthwhile to rewatch. The thing is that this list isn't only meant to be a list of greatest races of all-time. In addition to must-see stuff, sometimes I just want to watch something while I work on something else, or just watch casually while flipping through a magazine or whatever. Problem is, I have a terrible memory and outside of the most famous, I have trouble remembering what is worth revisiting, even from recent years.

I started a list of my own, but it's highly skewed toward the most famous races and to slightly older races, and I'd like it to contain more recent races and a much larger number than I've currently got. So I figured I'd post my list and hope others with better memories can post more. I'll go in reverse chronological order and put a note as to why that race (sometimes the note refers to just one moment and hence maybe watching the whole race isn't all that worthwhile).

2019 Austria - Good race, very hot conditions, Max takes late lead to win

2014 Hungary - Honey Badger's second victory

2012 Brazil - Entertaining race

2012 USA - First GP at COTA

2012 European (Valencia) - Fernando's self-described best victory

2011 Canada - Button last to first. A bit obvious

2010 Australia - Good race for Button

2010 Italy - F-duct hijinks?

2008 Brazil - As exciting as they come

2008 Britain - Hamilton laps all but Heidfeld and Barrichello

2008 Canada - Kubica's victory

2008 Japan - on merit, Fernando Alonso wins the race right after the one which would turn into crashgate half a year later

2007 Europe (Nurburgring) - Rain at the start, rain at the end. Alonso passes Massa near the end for the win. Also, Marcus Winkelhock leads a few laps in his F1 debut.

2006 Japan - Alonso passing Schumacher at 130R

2006 Hungary - Jenson's first win

2005 Belgium - The nightmare teams had about changing to dry tyres, some decent strategies and an unlikely podium for one driver

2004 Brazil - Williams’ last victory for 8 years

2003 Britain - Lots of overtaking, crazy dude on Hangar straight

2000 Belgium - Häkkinen passes Schumacher at Les Combes

1999 Germany - Rejects!

1999 France - HHF's victory in a Jordan

1998 Belgium - Start line crash, rain, and more

1996 Portugal - Jacques Villeneuve around the outside of Michael Schumacher on the last corner

1995 Australia - last race at Adelaide,featuring a record attendance and how not to make a pit stop.

1994 Spain - Schumacher stuck in 5th gear, Tyrrell's last podium and more

1993 Brazil - Senna's last home victory and a lesson in how to a) get round the first corner safely and b) how to cope with an unexpected downpour.

1992 Belgium - Schumacher's victory in the rain

1991 San Marino - Beware the last lap

1991 Germany - Exciting race for the podium positions.

1990 Mexico - Mansell pass Berger at Peralta; Prost performance and win

1989 Hungary - Mansell pass on Senna

1989 Canada - wet/dry race,featuring a great inter-team battle,lots of cars lying around the track and how not to start a race properly.

1988 France - Prost overtaking Senna, who was asleep behind a Minardi, past the Signes kink at Paul Ricard

1988 Mexico - Berger passing Piquet after slipstreaming through the Peralta bend

1987 Britain - Nigel Mansell’s inspired move on Nelson Piquet into Stowe

1986 Australia - All hell breaks loose, Prost wins race and championship

1986 Hungary - Piquet around the outside of Senna where?

I'll just note that I subscribe to the F1TV Pro service, which works pretty well and has an accurate archive back to about 1980 available at this point. I want to reiterate that I'm just looking to add as many as possible, even if the comment is just "an enjoyable race" or "pretty good race considering it's China" or whatever. Over the course of a workday I can watch a race or two, but will miss a lot, which is why I don't want every race to be of historical importance or come down to one single moment like a lot of the one's I've already listed. I hope that makes sense. Ideally I could see there being a handful of races per season that would be worth rewatching like this. Any input anyone can give is appreciated greatly. If it's already been done let me know too.
Last edited by Row Man Gross-Gene on 03 Jun 2021, 18:57, edited 16 times in total.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
dr-baker

Re: A List of "Rewatchable" Races

Post by dr-baker »

Would something like the 1994 Spanish Grand Prix fulfil your requirements?

- Schumacher finishing 2nd despite being stuck in 5th gear for much of the race

- Tyrrell's last podium courtesy of Mark Blundell

-Debut of DC

-Williams's first win since Senna

So no one specific moment or particular action on track, but of significance nonetheless.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Row Man Gross-Gene

That's a perfect example, I'm adding it to the list!
If more comes to mind please let us know.

I'll add another to my list, Austria last year would qualify by my own standard. A good race with a fair bit of interest but not terribly historic exactly. Perhaps the "all-time greats" should be bolded or something?
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1991 San Marino Grand Prix, although I don't recommend watching the last lap.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

I recently re-watched the 2005 Belgium GP and found it a really good watch. The nightmare teams had about changing tyres to dry ones was quite fascinating and add to it some decent strategies and an unlikely podium for one driver it was a great watch all round.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Row Man Gross-Gene

Thanks for more suggestions, added to the list! And if you have more, just post them, I've already watched some of the suggestions from you guys.

-Jamie McGregor

WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Watched the 1991 German Gp and had forgotten how exciting it was for the podium places at least , couple of things sprang to mind mostly about the coverage back then and the absence of pit raidio or even a reporter in the pits...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Japan 2008 - on merit, Fernando Alonso wins the race right after the one which would turn into crashgate half a year later

That race at Monza when Jenson Button in the McLaren made a high downforce setup work because he would steer one-handed down the straights to activate the F-duct from the cockpit by covering a hole to the side of it with his other hand.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Row Man Gross-Gene

Yannick wrote:Japan 2008 - on merit, Fernando Alonso wins the race right after the one which would turn into crashgate half a year later

That race at Monza when Jenson Button in the McLaren made a high downforce setup work because he would steer one-handed down the straights to activate the F-duct from the cockpit by covering a hole to the side of it with his other hand.

Added these to the list (as well as any others that have been suggested, as well as some from the f1 rewind thread). Since the f-duct was in 2010, I added Italy 2010 to the list. For some reason I recall that it was the ferrari guys having to drive one-handed at various times, so I'll rewatch now to see how that all played out. (edit: I focused on the wrong point, you're right that Jenson went high-downforce using the F-duct to partially make up the deficit)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

-Jamie McGregor

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

For some F1 Rejects galore, the 1991 Imola race (already mentioned) and the 1999 Nürburgring race are probably the best examples.
Heinz-Harald Frentzen's victory in the Jordan at Magny Cours whilst fighting for the championship that year is also no slouch.

But are they legendary? On this board, they probably are.

Personally, I cannot forget the 1992 Spa race when Michael Schumacher beat eventual champion Nigel Mansell for the victory in the rain, but maybe that is only because I was there.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

In terms of most excited I've ever been during a race, I will repeat the aforementioned 1999 French Grand Prix.

I always get super-excited with Brazil 2008, even if Massa doesn't win. It's probably the most nail-biting finish of any race I've seen live.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!